Core i5 2500 temps too high?

Fear Feathers

Forum Fiend
Joined
Oct 10, 2009
Messages
719
Hellohello. Recently I just picked up the core i5 for my new build. currently I am using the xigmatek gaia cpu cooler and these are my idle temps

Core #0 - 25/24/32
Core #1 - 27/26/35
Core #2 - 24/22/33
Core #3 - 25/23/33
Package - 41/40/49
all in C
Anybody know why the package temps are double the core's temps?
Should I be worry about my package temps or the single core temps?
 
Last edited:
those temps look fine to me. You may be able to cut a few C if you remove/reseat your CPU cooler and use a GOOD thermal paste. Remember, less is best. Just enough to cover the CPU with a light coating.

I installed a new heatsink/fan and I used OCZ Freeze Thermal..... dropped my idle temps by 30+C
 
hmm well after playing some battlefield bad company the max temps were around 68c

anyone know why the package temps are double the core temps?
 
Get a stress test program like prime95 and test ur temps. For me, I keep my temps below 65C
 
Yeah, idle temps don't mean tooo much. But if they are high it can be alarming. That isn't too high to be honest. My Phenom II 965 OC'd to 3.8GHz idles at 25c most of the time. Rarely hits over 45c.

I'm guessing you used the paste that came with the cooler?
I use Arctic Silver 5 with all my builds. A nice thin layer that covers the whole CPU will do. I use an old credit card to spread it out.

Link to Arctic Silver 5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

EDIT: Finally got my 965 to hit 4GHz! Win >:D
 
Last edited:
you cant really compare amd chips to intel temp wise... amd usually max at 62*c before it hurts it and intel you can go up to 90*c ... and just to clear things up im not saying that you cant hurt the chip before those temps either...i idle around 33-35 all cores, and on 100% load can touch 70 but no more than that games usually take it to around 58-62...and thats @ 5.2ghz
 
you cant really compare amd chips to intel temp wise... amd usually max at 62*c before it hurts it and intel you can go up to 90*c ... and just to clear things up im not saying that you cant hurt the chip before those temps either...i idle around 33-35 all cores, and on 100% load can touch 70 but no more than that games usually take it to around 58-62...and thats @ 5.2ghz

For the record I wasn't comparing, I wasn't really clear by what I meant. I posted that before I went to bed. Yeah I went to bed at 12pm central. I was tired

My old AMD 6000+ hit over 62c under load most of the time on a stock cooler and it's almost 5 years old and no damage and is still being used daily 8+ hours, I passed it down to someone. So I don't think that is right at all. Intel has a past of running hotter anyways. I believe in the P4 days a lot of people had their CPU's hovering the in the 80c range most of the time.

The computer I build for my Uncle runs an Intel E8400 with temps of 35-40c idle and 60c load. It's not even overclocked and has a Zalman 9500 (I believe is the version) with Arctic Silver 5 paste.



You also have to take note where you live. If you live in a hot and humid area, your temps will be higher. When my room hits 77f I know my temps jump at least 5 degrees. When it's at 63-65 in my room it's just perfect. If you overclocked it as well, that'll increase temp, but I'm sure you knew that. Each chipset is also different, one may run a few degrees hotter than the other, and one may overclock a little higher than another.

I don't know how cold it is up there in NYC or how hot you keep your place. But those temps are fine. If you're really worried I'd suggest resetting your heatsink with the paste I recommended in my earlier post.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top