Christmas is aroud the corner!

Cloakedsphere

EGO Addict
Joined
Feb 16, 2011
Messages
1,270
Well I Would like some help on upgrading my system. Ive only got like a max of a $400 budget. Max. My specs for my current system that i would like to upgrade is:

1)450w Corsair PSU
2)Geforce gtx 9500 gt
3)4 gigs of DDR3 corsair RAM

Those are the things i would like to upgrade. Im pretty set on a MODULAR power supply for easier upgrades next time. Also i believe ill just get some more Corsair RAM from my local FRY's electronics. I can get them cheaper then Newegg. But if you guys have any suggestions though please tell me below.

ALSO if you guys want to upgrade your systems go ahead and post those up and tell me what you guys wanna upgrade! Always love reading other system specs!
 
I would not bother upgrading your PSU until you need to. the VX450 is a very high quality unit, and can power pretty much any card up to like a 560Ti/6950.

just for ghits and siggles,

my system:
AMD FX-8150
ASUS Crosshair V
16GB G.Skill (1600 CL9)
XFX 6950 2GB.

I plan to get a second 6950, and a 1080p monitor for xmas (if not sooner.
 
For $400 you could get a really beefy video card AND upgrade your RAM. If you really had to, you could replace all three components with something nice, but ... like Reflex mentioned, unless you need more power than what you have now for some reason then I would pick up a top-dog brand 560Ti or a 6950 and call it a day.

If you're upgrading your RAM, I'd say grab another 4GB kit and top your system off with 8GB and no more than that -- but IMHO, having 4GB DDR3 isn't a bad place to be at all.

My budget beast:
Gigabyte 890GX (GPA-UD3H)
AMD 555 Black Edition @ 3.8GHz
Corsair 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
EVGA GTX 460 768MB @ 30% overclock

There's more to it than that that you can check it out my sig if you'd like, but that's what I've done to the rig recently.
 
My system:

X4 840
16 gigs G Skill Ripjaws X
MSI 6950 2GB
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Corsair GS 700w psu
Corsair H60/Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler (alternate between the 2, I'm never happy with temps)

Adding a second 6950, new psu, new cpu and Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler before xmas.
 
So what you guys are saying is not to upgrade my PSU and just keep it? I Want a graphics card that can play BF3 at medium graphics. So are you guys saying get the 6950? or the 560Ti? And just add an extra 4 gigs which only cost me 25$. So ill have like 100$ left over lol Im really confused. Can you guys give me some pics of an upgrade?
 
Keep the Psu. I have the same one (i think) And Its powering 8GB G.skill DDR3, AMD Phemon II x4, and a PNY FT450Fermi 2GB which is enough for BF3 on Medium specs.

Just toss in some extra RAM and upgrade the GPU and you're golden. Just don't bottleneck anything xD

:P
 
Either get a 2GB 6950 or a GTX560Ti (no real preference, just whichever is cheaper) and get 8GB RAM @ 1600 for $50. Brings you to just under $400.

Also, I'm not doing any christmas upgrades. I'm gonna wait until my rig isn't doing what I want it to, grad school makes money tight. What I'll probably do a little bit after Ivy drops is get an ITX rig with a single GPU, one HDD one SSD.

But currently I'm running:

i5-750
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
4GB@1333
Crossfired 6850s
Seasonic X650
 
Last edited:
Either get a 2GB 6950 or a GTX560Ti (no real preference, just whichever is cheaper) and get 8GB RAM @ 1600 for $50. Brings you to just under $400.

i have the GTX560Ti and 8 gb ram and can play battlefeild on high, tried on ultra actually runs smooth most of the time on ultra but gets random lag spikes so i just play n high to be safe
 
Ok Well maybe ill get a GTX 450/460 Or something in the AMD line. I Wanna try out some AMD cards since all ive ever had was Nvidia. Just dont get me wrong though. Nvidia works great! I just wanna find out which one i like better haha. So anyone know what GPU i can get that an 450w PSU can be powered by that can still run BF3 on medium-high graphics? :D
 

Latest posts

Back
Top