Sub-$1000 Build (Or close to it)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I'm banging my head on the keyboard. I can't get the preferred account method because of some issue, and because of this delay, the $70 MIR for the Intel SSD is gone, so that's half of all the MIR money I was calculating on. So I had to remove the BluRay drive, put in a $20 DVD-RW one, and keep going back and forth between Intel and OCZ ($155 vs $150, $0 MIR vs $30 MIR, 5 yr warranty vs 3 year) until I can resolve this issue with Newegg. Already talked to them and Bill Me Later over the phone, but they can't help me until I get the Resolve Issue e-mail from them, which they can't pull themselves.

Why I need preferred account? 12 months of no interest financing. If paid within 12 months of purchase, no interest charges. I can use Bill Me Later, but they only have 6 months. Easier to set aside $100/mo to pay off the system than $150-200/mo, plus the additional benefits a preferred account member gets...
 
Would like some opinions on this proposed build.

AZZA Solano 1000 Full Tower Case $115 ($20 MIR)
EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB $240 ($20 MIR)
CORSAIR HX750 750W PSU $150 ($10 MIR)
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 $25
GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 $170 ($20 MIR)
Intel Core i5-2500K $225
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus $26 ($10 MIR)

Total Cost per Newegg: $950.93 ($80 MIR) = $870.93 + $26 S&H fees

Obviously, there a few things missing. I'll add a DVD-RW drive for about $25, more or less. The one thing I'm debating hard is to add a SSD SATA II drive for between $110-$200, depending on the deals and MIRs available (Intel has a $70 MIR for their 120GB model at $190) Assuming that I get those two, the total price is bumped up to $1165.91, with $150 in MIR, totaling $1015.91. I do have a spare hard drive lying around, still in its shrink wrap, when I bought it like a year or two ago (I think it's a 1TB drive, if not a 750GB one when prices were dirt cheap back then). So storage isn't a problem. I was planning on using the SSD for the OS, and games alone, with music and movies on the larger drive. I'll use my current speakers, mouse, keyboard, and monitors as well.

What this will be replacing/upgrading from is my older system with an Intel Core2Duo E6750, 2x2GB DDR2 800MHz RAM, EVGA Geforce GTX 285, somewhere between 2-2.5 TB of storage (both internal and external drives), a Gigabyte LGA 775 board, and a Cooler Master HAF 932 Full tower case with DVD-RW drive. I'm using a Razer Lycosa (?) mouse and Logitech keyboard with a Dell LCD 19" Std Monitor + HannsG 21" LCD Widescreen Monitor. Opinions on the build and upgrade?

Nice setup man.. Your current base system is my current down to the cpu and my VC is the 275. Good luck I hope to do some upgrades soon. :facewall:
 
i would say that 9/10 people that say they will get a second card later never do.

not really a objective test, just kinda what i have observed. By the time you get around to it, there will be something new, and you will just get one of those instead. But whatever. 650w is more than enough for 2 560Ti
 
Could be a more powerful card down the road. Could be for his next build. The point is to prevent having to purchase the component again if you do not need to.
 
Could be a more powerful card down the road. Could be for his next build. The point is to prevent having to purchase the component again if you do not need to.

i5-2500k and a GTX 580 will run on 500W (not much OC headroom though). People seriously overestimate their power draw.
 
I would rather overestimate now than underestimate for upgrades or my next build. Considering they are most efficient at about 50% load, having a little too much is probably a good thing.
 
Well, because of a SNAFU with the Preferred Account process, I was able to submit my order today, but lost out on a couple of discounts and MIR's (Intel $70 for SSD, $10 discount for heatsink, free S&H on GPU). So here's the end order:

GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard $194.99

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support $249.99

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom $89.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 $224.99

OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC $159.99

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 $29.99

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel
$25.99

Subtotal $975.93
Tax $0.00
UPS Guaranteed 3 Day $10.63
Rush Processing (Preferred Account) -$3.99
Rush Processing $3.99
Order Total $986.56
Mail-in Rebates $100
Total Estimated Cost (Assuming I get MIRs back): $886.56.

Key omissions: No case, will use my CM HAF 932 and move its parts into my previous Apevia MX-Pleasure Full Tower. Use current keyboard, mouse, and dual monitors. Will hook up old computer to an old Dell LCD monitor I got ling around, and set it up as a media PC for mass storage of movies and music.

And in case anyone wants to know why Newegg Preferred Account was so important to use to buy with. Full payment is deferred for 12 months. So I have a full year to pay everything I owe before I have to pay interest on what I bought. Instead of the $986.56 up front, I can pay $100/mo for about 10 months while enjoying the system. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice on the parts. Once I get it all hooked up, I'll be sure to post some pics (and do a few tests too).
 
That psu does not have favorable reviews. I might look elsewhere, like corsair tx or xfx.

Already bought and paid for so it's too late now. What I may do instead is use my current Xigmatek 750watt PSU for the new build, and use the OCZ to replace for my current system. I'll play it by ear.
 
modxstream are fine.....

not the best, but aren't going to die firery death
 
Mediocre efficiency, but ripple suppression, and voltage regulation are adequate, nothing special.

Able to deliver rated wattage within spec (to an extent, i wouldn't go running it at 700w 24/7)

Really the only problem is that it is dated, and has been surpassed by far superior units.

(critical that you read both)
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply/9
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/03/03/ocz_modxstream_pro_700w_40c_update/


TL;DR, average unit, can output it's rated wattage, but build quality is eh, and voltage regulation and ripple suppression are within spec, but mediocre.
 
Mediocre efficiency, but ripple suppression, and voltage regulation are adequate, nothing special.

Able to deliver rated wattage within spec (to an extent, i wouldn't go running it at 700w 24/7)

Really the only problem is that it is dated, and has been surpassed by far superior units.

(critical that you read both)
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply/9
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2009/03/03/ocz_modxstream_pro_700w_40c_update/


TL;DR, average unit, can output it's rated wattage, but build quality is eh, and voltage regulation and ripple suppression are within spec, but mediocre.

This does not change the fact that at this price point and wattage, there are units that are easily better. If he is able to return it, I would.
 
Which I won't be able to without a legitimate reason besides: reviews on it say that's it's just an average unit.

P.S. After MIR, the PSU is $60 w/ free S&H.
 
I would rather overestimate now than underestimate for upgrades or my next build. Considering they are most efficient at about 50% load, having a little too much is probably a good thing.

This does not change the fact that at this price point and wattage, there are units that are easily better. If he is able to return it, I would.

so basically you changed your argument.

For $70 or whatever he paid, there are no other decent 700w modular units
 
Changed my argument? No, they are completely different points for different "arguments".

One was about much wattage you would want with the build to allow for future upgrades.

The second is in regards to the specific unit at the decided wattage not being top tier.

As for price, while it may be slightly more for a better unit, for this component, it is worth it. If you are happy with the quality for the cheap price after rebate, then stick with it snipeye. However, rebates are never a given, especially with ocz.
 
Oh, I will fight any and every company for the rebate until they decide to shut me up and give it to me. I used to work for a debt collection company, and I deal with chargebacks on a daily basis at work. So bring it on!

P.S. I have now come to realize that I work my best when I'm trying to get money from companies. Maybe I should of become a litigation lawyer....
 
That psu does not have favorable reviews. I might look elsewhere, like corsair tx or xfx.

This does not change the fact that at this price point and wattage, there are units that are easily better. If he is able to return it, I would.

Changed my argument? No, they are completely different points for different "arguments".

One was about much wattage you would want with the build to allow for future upgrades.

The second is in regards to the specific unit at the decided wattage not being top tier.

As for price, while it may be slightly more for a better unit, for this component, it is worth it. If you are happy with the quality for the cheap price after rebate, then stick with it snipeye. However, rebates are never a given, especially with ocz.

those two, my bad.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top