Building a new computer

I would say very solid chooses all round. Good brands with solid reputations. No part seems to be overpowering another. I'd skip the 1tb hard drive. Due to flooding in Thailand prices are way up. You could get that easy way less not too long ago. Or maybe go down to the Caviar blue for $130 versus $250 for the Caviar Black?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136767
Personally for a computer of that quality I'd go for a nicer case, but thats just preference. I'd also skip the sound card, but then I'm not a audiophile. I have the same mobo and the on board sound is fine for me.

If I added that all up correctly we are looking at a build of around ~$1600.

It should play bf3 and skyrim very well on max settings.
 
What case if you were building this computer would you go for? And thanks might just switch the hard drives
 
You really dont need a sound car since the sound on your mobo should be just fine. If you are in the music buisness like creating beats, being a part time DJ, then yes ide say get a sound card. Other then that you really dont need one. lol

And You PSU is way overkill. :P
 
Should I get a 750 watt one then because in the future I was thinking about maybe using crossfire and adding another card
 
You really dont need a sound car since the sound on your mobo should be just fine. If you are in the music buisness like creating beats, being a part time DJ, then yes ide say get a sound card. Other then that you really dont need one. lol

And You PSU is way overkill. :P

Gotta love that 70amp 12v rail :w00t:

Nice system "Asuryan1990" You guys are giving me the itch :facewall:
 
Last edited:
You shouldn't get the 6970, get a 6950 and unlock it, save yourself the 100 dollars. Sound card is pointless, and your psu is ridiculous. Why get a modular psu when you're going to end up using everything anyway? Get the TX series instead, I use it, it's amazing.

On a side note, when getting an AMD gfx card always try getting the reference models, they are always nicer looking and the most stable. And get the SSD over the HDD, but get the corsair force 3 ones, they're cheaper and 120gig's for your os and a couple games is overkill lol
 
Last edited:
You shouldn't get the 6970, get a 6950 and unlock it, save yourself the 100 dollars. Sound card is pointless, and your psu is ridiculous. Why get a modular psu when you're going to end up using everything anyway? Get the TX series instead, I use it, it's amazing.

On a side note, when getting an AMD gfx card always try getting the reference models, they are always nicer looking and the most stable. And get the SSD over the HDD, but get the corsair force 3 ones, they're cheaper and 120gig's for your os and a couple games is overkill lol

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought only the reference 6950's could unlock. I would assume they are hard to find now.
 
Ok so I should change the following things
Get a 6950 instead of the 6970 and unlock it
Downgrade my psu to 750 maybe 650
And get the Ssd instead of the hd
Oh and I'm not going to put a couple games those were just the games of the higher performance side that I put on
 
Drop the PSU down to a 650. you can get a very good one for much much less. Ide just say crossfire dual 6950's. Also get both a SSD and the hardrive. Unless you have anothing 500+gig hard drive ten i wouldnt worry about it. Plus your SSD only needs the windows 7 OS to be put on it. That would make your computer all around better. Ide probably wait for one of the tech pro's to come in here like reflex99 or phobus lol
 
Stick with the 850w. You can reuse this power supply in a future build. Better to have too much than to have too little in the future. 750w at the minimum if you plan on upgrading.

Most 6950s do not unlock anymore, but they still provide great performance. Probably is the better buy for price/performance. Easier to upgrade in the future to crossfire since you will be saving money.

SSD wise, intel is amazing, or I would recommend crucial. 120gb is the minimum I would get. I have 160gb and it is close to filled. They also recommend you leave like 25% free to prolong the life of the drive so factor that in. But between the hdd and ssd, ssd is definitely a better buy. Hard drive prices are ridiculous at the moment. Wait for a decent deal on a 1tb and reuse your old one till then.

Beyond that, great stuff. Some might say to get the z68 mobo, but feature wise, you probably will never use the additional ones, so p67 is a good buy. Plus you are getting a separate large ssd instead of a small one, so that negates the ssd caching feature.

Sound card wise, they do make a difference. I personally have the xonar dx and it makes my m-audio bx5as sound great over onboard. Depending on your needs though, that specific model may be overkill. If so, check the lower end xonar cards.
 
He can crossfire 6950's with the 650W PSU. He doesnt need an 850W for upgradung. Especially since you only need about a 700W MAX if your buying a GTX 590 :P So yeah. He doesnt need an over kill PSU to upgrade. Save yourself money. Just get a 700W or a 650W. :P Unless you plan on paying 700-1000$ for a new GPU. I wouldnt go any higher.

He doesnt need a sound card unless he has a set of 200+$ headphones. Im trying to help you save some money lol. So ide get rid of the sound card. Downgrade ur current PSU. Then just go buy another 6950 in a couple months and crossfire em with a 650-700W PSU. :P 800W PSU is so overkill you only need it if your running top of the line machine. :P

ALSO you dont need a full tower case unless you prefer them. :P the HAF 912 is plenty big to hold the big GPU cards. ;) and gives amazing airflow. Ide know because i own one. lol and you can get the 912 for about 60$ LESS then ur current case
 
Last edited:
What are the power requirements of next generation cards? The point of a quality psu is to last. I would rather pay $10 more for a power supply that will have enough to meet my needs later down the road. If not, when you upgrade, you can also factor in another $150 to upgrade your psu. If you want a cheaper one, go for the 850w hcp antec. At 750w, the seasonic x750 is decently priced. Depending on when you buy though, prices mean little right now. There will always be various deals on different parts.

Sounds cards can make a world of difference, even on cheap speakers or headphones. So while you want to save him money and all, if he has needs for a sound card or just wants good audio with his equipment, get one. Though again, depending on your needs, a xonar dx, dg, or ds might suffice.

As for a full tower case, they serve there purpose by providing better airflow and ample room to work in. Installation can be a breeze. Obviously, they are bigger, heavier, and psu cable length can even become a problem. However, a 912 does not have near the airflow as it has 2 small fans compared to the hafs 4 gigantic ones? Looks wise, the haf x is much better looking than the 912 imo. Personal opinion is obviously a huge factor when choosing a case. Depending on what you are looking to spend though, if he could not afford this one, I doubt he would have put it in.
 
Ok so I should change the following things
Get a 6950 instead of the 6970 and unlock it
Downgrade my psu to 750 maybe 650
And get the Ssd instead of the hd
Oh and I'm not going to put a couple games those were just the games of the higher performance side that I put on

I suggest getting this psu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021&Tpk=tx750v2

if you want to future proof your build you should get a 750watt, it has enough amps to power the beffiest cards, you won't ever need anything more than that unless you want to crossfire 6990's lol. But if you really want a modular psu then that's fine, though I don't see the point in it. Only differece between AX and TX series is that AX is modular, so you're spending an extra 80 bucks just so you have less cables lying around, though the haf x has more than enough room for all the cables you're going to use.

Also,

If you're going to get a 6950, you need to get a reference 2GB model to unlock it like this one, unfortately newegg aren't selling a reference model 6950

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1387558&CatId=7005

Another option is crossing firing TWO 6870's which would be even better than a GTX 590 getting 99 fps on bf3 at 1080p and much better than a 6970/unlocked 6950 or 580 for the same price of a 6970. You gotta love AMD

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103196

amd%20crossfire%201920.png

nvidia%20high%201920.png
 
Last edited:
Ok so I should change the following things
Get a 6950 instead of the 6970 and unlock it
Downgrade my psu to 750 maybe 650
And get the Ssd instead of the hd
Oh and I'm not going to put a couple games those were just the games of the higher performance side that I put on

I would stay around the 750w I just got done building a computer for myself and my brother and ~700w was the requirement for mine with SLI @ similar specifications, this will leave you a little wiggle room for upgrades. I have an 850w from my old iteration that I recycled, which is as others have said a bit much, but I already had it so why let it go to waste?
 
Ok so I'm gonna get the 750 watt psu and should I stay with my current pick for Ssd or should I downgrade it? Oh and also the reason why I choose the HAF x is because I helped my friend with his build and he used it and I liked it. Another note I do plan on getting dual 6950's just latter on and should I download my os onto my ssd? And how would I do that?
 
What 750 watt you planning on? Still the 80 plus gold corsair? Seasonic model is the same pretty much so you can get whichever is cheaper.

Crucial m4 128gb model is around $200. Not a bad deal. I have seen them as low as $150 when some good sales were going on. That would be my next choices after intel.

Are you talking about transferring your os or doing a fresh install? Because I would prefer to do a fresh install. For that, only plug your ssd in to ensure you install it to that. Then just put your disc in. Should be no different really than putting it on an hdd. I assume you are doing windows 7 which is optimized for ssds.
 
Download your preffered OS on the SSD yes. :P And that fine about the case. I was just seeing if you would like to save some money lol. But you can find a great 80 PLUS bronze 750W PSU for around 100$. And you should be fine. I am getting an Antec Earthwatts 650W PSU and its 80 PLUS bronze. :) and you can still dual up 6950's with a 750W PSU. ;) Hope you have fun with your computer parts. Post some pics here when you get it all built also. :D Ide love to check it out ;)
 
Im not gonna comment on the other stuff, But if you plan on getting a sound card, you might as well have the speakers to back it up. I bought a cheap asus xonar dg and have noticed a significant difference in the music played through my headphones which arent the best ones. If you want better sound but you arent planning on spending a bunch of speakers/headphones id reccomend a cheaper xonar sound card like mine($30) or the xonar dx.
 
Back
Top