- Joined
- Sep 4, 2008
- Messages
- 1,026
So i've been cooking almost non-stop for about a week now and thought it would be fun to come on here and discuss it with you guys, and share some of my successes, which hopefully you can use as well.
A little back story on why i'm now cooking constantly. I'm currently living with my wife's family, which is 3 generations, my wife and I, her grandparents, and her parents. Thus i'm cooking for 6 every day.
I have up until tomorrow only been cooking lunch and dinner, with breaks from lunch here and there for leftovers.
What makes things really interesting? They're all vegetarian except me. The reason doesn't matter, but the point is, no meat at all, as in no fish, chicken, etc... They aren't vegan (although they've tried it).
Some of the things I've cooked so far:
Chicken Noodle Soup over Garlic Mashed Potatoes (vegie chicken called Fri-Chik)
Vegetable Soup
Chili with vegetarian beans
Broccoli with Garlic and Pierogi Casserole (awesome!)
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fudge with Walnuts (first attempt came out amazing)
Coconut Macaroons (meh)
Taco Casserole (layered soft shell taco's and refried beans with cheese in a dish then baked)
Homemade Calzones with vegies and cheese
Jambalaya without sausage
Black Beans and Rice (not a lot of cooking there)
Chicken (fake) wraps
Taco Dip and Chips
Homemade Guacamole
Homemade Herb-Cheese Bubble Bread (amazing!!!!)
The things above have all been pretty decent, and at least edible, and i'm happy to share recipe's where I can (didn't use one for many of these) but i'll keep the post short to start as I'm going to update with pictures and more meals. Feel free to request that I elaborate on any of the things listed and I will. I'm also going to get pictures of the fudge which is pretty nice looking as a cross-section.
Post some of your successes and stories here. Feel free to start a reply post and update it with images and updates. I'm also anxious to hear some other people's ideas and maybe steal a recipe or two!
My greatest success thus far: The Bubble Bread. It pulls apart in individual pieces and is really fun. We ate it with the Jambalaya and it went over amazing. It did take quite a while to make though. It rises 3 times, and was very difficult to mix with the cheese added. I really recommend hand-kneading more than using a mixer (we do have 2 kitchen aides even).
Here's how it came out in the end
[ame]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbarnes/6838192673/[/ame]
[ame]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbarnes/6838192673/[/ame] by Little_BIG_FISH, on Flickr
A little back story on why i'm now cooking constantly. I'm currently living with my wife's family, which is 3 generations, my wife and I, her grandparents, and her parents. Thus i'm cooking for 6 every day.
I have up until tomorrow only been cooking lunch and dinner, with breaks from lunch here and there for leftovers.
What makes things really interesting? They're all vegetarian except me. The reason doesn't matter, but the point is, no meat at all, as in no fish, chicken, etc... They aren't vegan (although they've tried it).
Some of the things I've cooked so far:
Chicken Noodle Soup over Garlic Mashed Potatoes (vegie chicken called Fri-Chik)
Vegetable Soup
Chili with vegetarian beans
Broccoli with Garlic and Pierogi Casserole (awesome!)
Chocolate-Peanut Butter Fudge with Walnuts (first attempt came out amazing)
Coconut Macaroons (meh)
Taco Casserole (layered soft shell taco's and refried beans with cheese in a dish then baked)
Homemade Calzones with vegies and cheese
Jambalaya without sausage
Black Beans and Rice (not a lot of cooking there)
Chicken (fake) wraps
Taco Dip and Chips
Homemade Guacamole
Homemade Herb-Cheese Bubble Bread (amazing!!!!)
The things above have all been pretty decent, and at least edible, and i'm happy to share recipe's where I can (didn't use one for many of these) but i'll keep the post short to start as I'm going to update with pictures and more meals. Feel free to request that I elaborate on any of the things listed and I will. I'm also going to get pictures of the fudge which is pretty nice looking as a cross-section.
Post some of your successes and stories here. Feel free to start a reply post and update it with images and updates. I'm also anxious to hear some other people's ideas and maybe steal a recipe or two!
My greatest success thus far: The Bubble Bread. It pulls apart in individual pieces and is really fun. We ate it with the Jambalaya and it went over amazing. It did take quite a while to make though. It rises 3 times, and was very difficult to mix with the cheese added. I really recommend hand-kneading more than using a mixer (we do have 2 kitchen aides even).
Here's how it came out in the end
[ame]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbarnes/6838192673/[/ame]
[ame]http://www.flickr.com/photos/dbarnes/6838192673/[/ame] by Little_BIG_FISH, on Flickr














Some of these do look really good though and would make some good side dishes.


