Intel or AMD?

IDigitalDeadI

EGO Addict
Joined
Sep 15, 2009
Messages
1,316
Not a flame thread or anything, I'm just wondering what I should use as an upgrade, due to my current mobo being dumb and not working too well :facewall:. Anyway, here we go:

Intel
CPU: Intel i3 2100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115078
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P67X-UD3-B3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128488
Memory: Kingston 8gb DDR3-1066
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134928

Grand Total: $284.97

AMD
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103995
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128521
Memory: Same as above (G.Skill sold out on newegg at the moment)

Grand Total: 262.53
Any suggestion to either build? I think I can probably push my extremely small budget to $300, maybe. Had a suggestion to get a g530 or g620 instead of the 2100, since I've already planned on getting a i5 2500k in the future. Would that be a good choice? Would I get comparable performance to the 960T or even my current phenom 920?
 
I prefer AMD because they seem to run a little cooler. Also AMD tends to be cheaper. But both are good, it seems to be personal preference as to which people like better.
 
I prefer AMD because they seem to run a little cooler. Also AMD tends to be cheaper. But both are good, it seems to be personal preference as to which people like better.

Normally I'd go for AMD, since I don't have a job and its pretty affordable. However, I saw an opportunity in getting a very good cpu down the line with Intel, since from what I've heard, the 2500k is the end all be all for gaming at the moment. I see that, paired with a decent 600 series card, will last for quite a long time.
 
They're both very good setups, but the i3 will be faster on single threaded apps (and starcraft 2)

Seeing as the majority of programs are now multi-threaded, the 960T is a very safe buy for a processor. That's the one I would get if those CPU's are your only options.
 
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/289?vs=362

Fairly enlightening. If this is for gaming, the i3 is actually the better choice. If you are going to be using multithreaded apps, than the 4 or possibly 6 cores of the 960t will probably serve you better.

As for the comment about amd running cooler, don't see how that has any relevance really. Sandy bridge runs cool enough and owns the phenom ii in power consumption, something that IS probably worth considering.
 
They're both very good setups, but the i3 will be faster on single threaded apps (and starcraft 2)

Seeing as the majority of programs are now multi-threaded, the 960T is a very safe buy for a processor. That's the one I would get if those CPU's are your only options.

Well if I were to go with AMD, what would be an acceptable step up from the 960T? In Intel's case I already have in mind in getting a i5 2500k (which is quite expensive). Is there anything on the AMD side that can give me a considerable performance boost (I know AMD is behind so I know there is probably nothing that compares directly). Basically what would be good for the future? Am I basically being a derp in not knowing how good or bad Bulldozer has done (didn't plan to upgrade until the fall)?

Edit: Huckleberry I've seen that before and I'm impressed. I pretty much use my computer as an everyday computer, as well as a gaming machine. I mean I know if I went for full on gaming, i'd be fine. Unfortunately, my light wallet begs to differ. That fact alone keeps me on the fence.
 
Last edited:
Err, there is nothing worth upgrading to for amd. Above the cost of the 960t, you are getting into the realm of the 2500k or the non overclockable i5s and they wipe the floor with amd.
 
Err, there is nothing worth upgrading to for amd. Above the cost of the 960t, you are getting into the realm of the 2500k or the non overclockable i5s and they wipe the floor with amd.

That made me think about quake for some reason.

If I were to go for amd, would it be best to just use that build for awhile, while eventually saving for Intel? Since everything after that is pretty much pointless, I'll have to switch over eventually. Plus once I actually do build an Intel machine, I can use the AMD for something else or give it to my brother. I mean it seems like a solid idea now that I think about it. I currently have enough for the 960T, I can buy and it slap it in for a bit until I get the motherboard and ram.

I think Im going to go with that plan, no downtime on my computer as well, since I would have had to sell my current cpu to afford my motherboard. I was going to buy cpu now, put in old mobo, sell old cpu, buy new mobo and ram. With Intel i would have been without a computer for a few days >_>
 
Last edited:
That made me think about quake for some reason.

If I were to go for amd, would it be best to just use that build for awhile, while eventually saving for Intel? Since everything after that is pretty much pointless, I'll have to switch over eventually. Plus once I actually do build an Intel machine, I can use the AMD for something else or give it to my brother. I mean it seems like a solid idea now that I think about it. I currently have enough for the 960T, I can buy and it slap it in for a bit until I get the motherboard and ram.

I think Im going to go with that plan, no downtime on my computer as well, since I would have had to sell my current cpu to afford my motherboard. I was going to buy cpu now, put in old mobo, sell old cpu, buy new mobo and ram. With Intel i would have been without a computer for a few days >_>

If you do get a place holder get Intel because then you won't be rebuying a new mobo when you upgrade again
 
Wait, so you plan on getting a 2500k later down the road? Just wait until you can afford, don't spend an additional $130 on a 1155 processor now. You'll be unneccessarily spending more money.
 
If you do get a place holder get Intel because then you won't be rebuying a new mobo when you upgrade again

umm intel changes sockets more then i change my underwear!

AMD has been using current socket for a while now am3+ better upgrade path

Intel Better Processors but, cost more. + intel has SRT smart response technology which is AWESOME for ssd cache drives.
 
No, he is saying if you get a cheaper i5 or an i3, many of the current z68 and p67 mobos are compatible with ivy bridge which is the next update for intel which would be a great upgrade path, especially from an i3.
 
Wait, so you plan on getting a 2500k later down the road? Just wait until you can afford, don't spend an additional $130 on a 1155 processor now. You'll be unneccessarily spending more money.

Phobus, I don't think you would be content with using a 57GB old fashioned IDE hard drive from 2003 would you? Well I have (due to faulty sata ports), and I figure it would be more beneficial to get a completely new board, rather than play around with PCI sata or USB sata adapters. Unless you have a bigger IDE around that you're willing to donate, I think I'd rather spend more money unnecessarily :)
 
umm intel changes sockets more then i change my underwear!

AMD has been using current socket for a while now am3+ better upgrade path

Intel Better Processors but, cost more. + intel has SRT smart response technology which is AWESOME for ssd cache drives.

You only change your underwear 1-2 times a year? That is gross man.

I dunno, I think the change is both good and bad. It was good when DDR2 was getting flushed out, I personally believe AMD was a little stupid in their choice to continue to support it with their newer platforms, instead of Intel just dropping support for it altogether. Sure, it was also a good thing for users with AM2+ boards that were compatible with AM3 processors, but that also gave the incentive to go with an AM2+ board and not get DDR3.

Phobus, I don't think you would be content with using a 57GB old fashioned IDE hard drive from 2003 would you? Well I have (due to faulty sata ports), and I figure it would be more beneficial to get a completely new board, rather than play around with PCI sata or USB sata adapters. Unless you have a bigger IDE around that you're willing to donate, I think I'd rather spend more money unnecessarily :)

If you have faulty sata ports, why not return the motherboard?

I do have a Sata 1.5Gbps 250GB that I have no use for. If someone would be willing to pay for shipping, I would gladly give it away.
 
umm intel changes sockets more then i change my underwear!

AMD has been using current socket for a while now am3+ better upgrade path

Intel Better Processors but, cost more. + intel has SRT smart response technology which is AWESOME for ssd cache drives.

Lol but if he got a compatable socket for the i5 and his placeholder he would just have an extra cpu to sell/keep

I would check ebay/craigslist though for the cpu as it is only a placeholder and you would save some money
 
You only change your underwear 1-2 times a year? That is gross man.

I dunno, I think the change is both good and bad. It was good when DDR2 was getting flushed out, I personally believe AMD was a little stupid in their choice to continue to support it with their newer platforms, instead of Intel just dropping support for it altogether. Sure, it was also a good thing for users with AM2+ boards that were compatible with AM3 processors, but that also gave the incentive to go with an AM2+ board and not get DDR3.



If you have faulty sata ports, why not return the motherboard?

I do have a Sata 1.5Gbps 250GB that I have no use for. If someone would be willing to pay for shipping, I would gladly give it away.
I talked to ECS support, they want me to pay full price + some kind of handler's fee. I mean I bought their board once and now they want me to do it again? No thank you. Also depending how much you're shipping it for, I'll take it, since buying hard drives these days new isn't worth it.

Lol but if he got a compatable socket for the i5 and his placeholder he would just have an extra cpu to sell/keep

I would check ebay/craigslist though for the cpu as it is only a placeholder and you would save some money
I'll get to checking then, hopefully someone on CL has it around here
 
I talked to ECS support, they want me to pay full price + some kind of handler's fee. I mean I bought their board once and now they want me to do it again? No thank you. Also depending how much you're shipping it for, I'll take it, since buying hard drives these days new isn't worth it.


I'll get to checking then, hopefully someone on CL has it around here

That is pretty bogus. And I hadn't thought about the upgrade path towards Ivy Bridge. If you get a lowly 1155 processor with a good 1155 board, then you're set. I just wouldn't go with something like an i3 2100 to later get a 2500k. I would skip straight to the 3500k, or whatever they end up calling it.

I can give you an estimate if you give me your zip code. My guess is like $10. Its just a hard drive, I'll wrap it in bubble wrap and it'll go in a small little box.
 
That is pretty bogus. And I hadn't thought about the upgrade path towards Ivy Bridge. If you get a lowly 1155 processor with a good 1155 board, then you're set. I just wouldn't go with something like an i3 2100 to later get a 2500k. I would skip straight to the 3500k, or whatever they end up calling it.

I can give you an estimate if you give me your zip code. My guess is like $10. Its just a hard drive, I'll wrap it in bubble wrap and it'll go in a small little box.

Well I guess we'll have to wait and see what they'll call it, and how well it performs. Also I sent you a PM with my zip and address for an estimate. Once we agree to terms, we can set something up through paypal.
 
i myself would go with the i5 2500k. intel may be a lil more spendy but if its price per performance you want intel is the better choice.
and if you can spend a lil more i would get a board with pci 3.0 slots for any future gpu upgrades
 
Last edited:
i myself would go with the i5 2500k. intel may be a lil more spendy but if its price per performance you want intel is the better choice.
and if you can spend a lil more i would get a board with pci 3.0 slots for any future gpu upgrades

From what I've seen in reviews the performance difference between a new gpu, more specifically a 7970, in a pci 2.0 slot and a pci 3.0 slot was fairly small. I'll look into it, but I don't believe I'll be changing what board I'll get, should I choose to go the Intel route.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top