My New Build (Maybe)

Abyssian

I made one post
Joined
Nov 5, 2011
Messages
16
Let me know what you think of this build, my max is about 900 and im at about 850. I don'y need a computer that will run 9 instances of BF3 at insane. My only real qualifier is that i would like to be able to run LoL at full.

CPU and MOBO: i5 2500 Sandy Bridge with GIGABYTE Combo
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.840524

Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129042

Power Supply: OCV ModXStream 600w
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 550
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x 4GB DDR3 1866mhz
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233170

Heatsynce & Fan: CM Hyper TX3
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103064

Thanks in Advance
 
Great combo on the CPU+mobo.

I have never really been a fan of Antec cases, though there isn't much else at that price point.

600W is overkill for a single GPU. Even with a 580 and your 2500k, you aren't looking at more than 500. For a mid-range card you'll be looking at ~430W.

The GTX 550Ti is a pretty crappy deal. GTX 460s and Radeon 6850s are in the same price point and perform noticeably better. Really, from nVidia there's the GTX460 and then the next worthwhile card up is the GTX 560Ti.

I don't know if you'll see any benefit from 1866 over 1600. You might be able to scrounge $20 from here and the PSU that you could apply to a step up in the graphics card department.

The TX3 is probably the best cooler at that price point on newegg. Given how cool SB is, I think it'll still give you a decent OC.

Other things to note, the only reason to drop money on a Z68 mobo and the 2500k is to OC. If you aren't interested in that, you might be able to save some cash with a 2500 and an H67 mobo. You might even save some more off that with a mATX mobo and case. It's smaller, lighter, and cheaper and will more than likely have enough ports for HDDs and ODDs. Of course, I'm also on an SFF binge right now so you don't have to really take this too seriously.
 
I have the same case and its pretty nice. A lot of cooling and tons of room inside
 
thanks a bunch pet rock, i talked to some people at work today and they all seem to agree with you

i will be switching to the
corsair vengeance 1600
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233255
Coolmaster Haf case, on recommendation from a friend
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119233
an MSI 560ti
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127636
i got a 530 watt for a good deal
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182199
getting a cheaper harddrive, but that is a minor detail
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236067

as far as downgrading the i5 and mobo, i can't find anything that is significantly less than the deal i am getting so i will stick to them, and after college i plan on maybe ocing and watercooling anyway.

all said and done i am still at 850, aweSOME

gonna check this over again with some informed friends and then its MINE

oh and i know i haven't been around lately, but hopefully this new machine will bolster my gaming, i game on a 2008 iMac right now.

Thanks again
 
for some reason i was on the canadian newegg, so the prices changed a little, im at 860 now,
 
Personally, I would get the CX430V2 over that unit. The only thing I know about Rosewill is that all they do is rebrand other companies' units. It could be a 530W Corsair at a cheap price, or it could be an Apevia or HEC. While Rosewill have been doing better on the quality side of things, I don't know enough about that particular unit to be comfortable buying it. On the other hand, I know Corsair, I know their warranty and support are good, and I know they make solid units, and I know that model is a good buy.
 
Depending on what you are going to do, the 550TI isnt really a bad card, its just about $30 overpriced. The 460 is a much better buy though, all day.

As has been stated, the CPU/Mobo combo is a good deal for those, you could probably get the 2500 cheaper, but the OPTION to OC is nice to have.

And the HAF cases are by far my favorite case to build with. There is a rediculous amount of space to work in even with their mid towers.

I would look at adding a 30-60Gb solid state to run your OS off of. It really does make a difference and isnt that much of a difference in your price point.

All in all you are getting a pretty good system for that price.
 
alright the whole thing is ordered, and my issue with getting a smaller SSD is that i want to have all my 40+ gigs of music on the boot drive, plus all my steam games, plus wow, so it just isn't enough space.

everything shipped today so i am hoping for this weekend maybe to start building
 
Why would you need to put music on a boot drive? That seems like the best thing to put on a storage drive.
 
alright the whole thing is ordered, and my issue with getting a smaller SSD is that i want to have all my 40+ gigs of music on the boot drive, plus all my steam games, plus wow, so it just isn't enough space.

everything shipped today so i am hoping for this weekend maybe to start building

why would you put music on a boot drive? the only thing you put on a boot drive is the OS and maybe one game. the increase in performance from haveing a SSD for your OS is amazing and probably one of the biggest gains vs cost you will get in a PC. it really is worth the investment.
 
Mainly because i use itunes and itunes operates better when music is on the boot drive, and the same with steam games, i can't imagine that trying to run steam on one drive with game data on another would work well.

I guess the other reservation that i have is that i have never had good experiences using dual hdds, which i know is probably just me being dumb, but if it will make a noticeable difference than i am interested.

Q
How do steam games work when steam is on one drive and games are on another?
Also how do other games work when not on the boot disc, it has been so long since i used a PC.
 
That and games and music don't see much (or any for music) benefit from faster data transfer speeds. Though I suppose itunes may just be stupid. Apple is good at limiting what users are allowed to do.
 
so what do you guys put on your sd then?

I estimate followiong the guide (link above) but considering games.
Suppose you have a 64g sd.
And you own 100g games data.
Do you put the most demanding games in your sd directory? or how do you make a choice?
In other words which kind off games benefit the most off a faster sd.
 
Last edited:
so what do you guys put on your sd then?

I estimate followiong the guide (link above) but considering games.
Suppose you have a 64g sd.
And you own 100g games data.
Do you put the most demanding games in your sd directory? or how do you make a choice?
In other words which kind off games benefit the most off a faster sd.

An SSD won't directly improve the performance of a demanding game; like an HDD, however, faster data transfer speeds means faster load times due to how quickly files and general data are being retrieved -- so you can put any game that loads noticeably slow on an SSD and you should expect a jump in load times. This is especially true after you load a map for the first time.

I've found that subsequent load times on a quality SSD is day and night compared to a high-end HDD -- I've had games on a 7200 RPM/32mb cache HDD that loads games in 45-60+ seconds, whereas my Crucial M4 SSD loads the same game at the same settings in ~5-10 seconds.
 
Last edited:
An SSD won't directly improve the performance of a demanding game; like an HDD, however, faster data transfer speeds means faster load times due to how quickly files and general data are being retrieved -- so you can put any game that loads noticeably slow on an SSD and you should expect a jump in load times. This is especially true after you load a map for the first time.

I've found that subsequent load times on a quality SSD is day and night compared to a high-end HDD -- I've had games on a 7200 RPM/32mb cache HDD that loads games in 45-60+ seconds, whereas my Crucial M4 SSD loads the same game at the same settings in ~5-10 seconds.

so basically games that require a lot off loading prefered.
I play simulationgames like football manager and pro cycling manager for there single playergame i bet these are good on a hdd then cause off the game beeing more static right?
 
so basically games that require a lot off loading prefered.
I play simulationgames like football manager and pro cycling manager for there single playergame i bet these are good on a hdd then cause off the game beeing more static right?

It's hard for me to say in any game's case without having tried the game on my system; if you don't load the game(s) at a speed to your satisfaction, though, you could always relocate them to your SSD from your HDD.
 
Really the only thing a typical user will see a benefit with is the OS. Booting will be noticeably faster and overall responsiveness will increase. For games, the only benefit is loading screens and most are so short on PC that it won't really be a big enough difference to warrant the change. There are probably some situations where dealing with uncompressed raw video data (especially in Blu-ray sizes) might benefit from an SSD but I wouldn't know anything about it and if you don't already know about it then you probably aren't someone it affects.
 
Really the only thing a typical user will see a benefit with is the OS. Booting will be noticeably faster and overall responsiveness will increase. For games, the only benefit is loading screens and most are so short on PC that it won't really be a big enough difference to warrant the change. There are probably some situations where dealing with uncompressed raw video data (especially in Blu-ray sizes) might benefit from an SSD but I wouldn't know anything about it and if you don't already know about it then you probably aren't someone it affects.

A thousand times this. I should've mentioned this in the first place. Nowadays, you should always have an SSD as your boot drive if you ever have the option, IMHO.

My boot drive is that Crucial M4 64GB I mentioned, and it boots from hitting the power button to desktop in ~15 seconds. There's also the added benefits of general responsiveness increasing, like apr mentioned.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top