malware question

xitreon

EGO Zealot
Joined
Oct 31, 2011
Messages
1,744
ok so i suspect i may have a malware in my computer system, however there is no symptoms of it what so ever, so im unsure if the virus is there at all

after reading a bit online ive learnt that the best way to remove it is to do it manually cause theres a lot of registry entries that wont be picked up by anti spyware software.. so i was wondering..... what if i run the system backup?? wont that completely wipe off the virus?

hope to get a quick response here cause im kinda freaking out about this
 
ok so i suspect i may have a malware in my computer system, however there is no symptoms of it what so ever, so im unsure if the virus is there at all

One thing I would suggest is running some anti-malware in safe mode as a precaution. In particular Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware and also an rkill file. For clarification on this and the methodology go HERE. These guys are uber 1337 with killing problematic malware.

after reading a bit online ive learnt that the best way to remove it is to do it manually cause theres a lot of registry entries that wont be picked up by anti spyware software.. so i was wondering..... what if i run the system backup?? wont that completely wipe off the virus?

I am interpreting running a system backup as you have an image file created of the drive in good condition under which case, yes, restoring from that 'backup' or image would get rid of your problem. HOWEVER, if you have a root kit it could be a whole different beast. On the other hand if you are referring to a system backup as a 'restore point' from System Restore in Windows, than no. That will not help you unfortunately.
 
no i mean backup as in having all the system files stored on a disc for situations that needs it such as an critical system error, really bad viruses etc
 
but as i said, there hasn't been any symptoms of any kind so im a bit unsure if there is a virus at all
 
First off, don't do a system restore the virus or what ever you may have will just copy itself over. Malware bytes was also never made to be run in safe mode so do not do that. These are some links for you:http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684
http://www.malwarebytes.org Don't run this in safe mode
http://www.superantispyware.com
http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...virus/combofix
http://www.spybot.net

Also you could always go registry killing on everything that looks odd. But google it first
 
i allready have a restore disk.. i made it the day i got my pc.. i didnt mean i would make one now when my computer may be infected
 
Malware bytes was also never made to be run in safe mode so do not do that.

Just curious, did you get that recommendation from anywhere in particular or just your experience? I have run it in safe mode numerous times and with better results than running it with Windows booting normally. Not to mention it is explained HERE as part of remediation procedure. Also there are moderator/staff posts on the Malwarebytes.org site HERE stating the safe mode method. If you try to run something like this in normal mode, typically the spyware or fake alerts will begin to propagate or 'pop up' as most startup processes run during normal operation, making it very difficult to run anti-malware software.

Not to say booting normally does not work well, in some cases it will, but safe mode tends to be more effective, in my experience. :thumbup1:
 
Last edited:
Just curious, did you get that recommendation from anywhere in particular or just your experience? I have run it in safe mode numerous times and with better results than running it with Windows booting normally. Not to mention it is explained HERE as part of remediation procedure. Also there are moderator/staff posts on the Malwarebytes.org site HERE stating the safe mode method. If you try to run something like this in normal mode, typically the spyware or fake alerts will begin to propagate or 'pop up' as most startup processes run during normal operation, making it very difficult to run anti-malware software.

Not to say booting normally does not work well, in some cases it will, but safe mode tends to be more effective, in my experience. :thumbup1:

When Malwarebytes' is ran in Safe Mode it runs in reduced functionality mode. If Malwarebytes' finds something it needs to remove on reboot like a rootkit it will BSOD the machine & possibly cause more issues.

I took that quote off a white hat hackers forum, I've also seen a few other forums suggest that you do not run it in safe mode. Though I do not have any personal experiences on it
 
Tested it out on my old vista, it did find a virus in safe mode but it blue screened me
 
:( Shame. Too many to count that I've used it in safe with no issues...
 
You know, that is one thing I left out. I will boot safe mode, run an update on Byte's then perform the scan and remove.

Good to know it worked out for you!:P
 
When Malwarebytes' is ran in Safe Mode it runs in reduced functionality mode. If Malwarebytes' finds something it needs to remove on reboot like a rootkit it will BSOD the machine & possibly cause more issues.

I took that quote off a white hat hackers forum, I've also seen a few other forums suggest that you do not run it in safe mode. Though I do not have any personal experiences on it

I make a living as a computer tech and 90% of the my business is malware/rootkit removal and reading this almost made me spit coffee all over my monitor. This is not true at all. I'd like to suggest that Malwarebytes is not the only solution and I definitely use more than just this program. Malwarebytes is an exceptional program and I do recommend it be added to whatever list of software you use to remove infections. If you're looking for a good program for rootkit detection I'd run TDSSKILLER which is made by Kaspersky. Before running any anti malware or rootkit detection software, please take the time to visit bleepingcomputer.com and look up rkill. This was written by Grinler who is the head guy there and it kills malicious processes and services. Be sure to run this in safe mode before you do any scans with any other software. I could go on for hours discussing proper removal methods but it would be best to reference you to bleepingcomputer.com as there is a ton of helpful information on that site. They even have guides instructing you how to go about removing infections such as the infamous fake antivirus programs that are spreading like wild fire and trick you into thinking you need to pay them to fix the problems you're having. These guides also will show the file locations and registry entries pertaining to the infection. I hope this was helpful to anyone interested in learning more.
 
I make a living as a computer tech and 90% of the my business is malware/rootkit removal and reading this almost made me spit coffee all over my monitor. This is not true at all. I'd like to suggest that Malwarebytes is not the only solution and I definitely use more than just this program. Malwarebytes is an exceptional program and I do recommend it be added to whatever list of software you use to remove infections. If you're looking for a good program for rootkit detection I'd run TDSSKILLER which is made by Kaspersky. Before running any anti malware or rootkit detection software, please take the time to visit bleepingcomputer.com and look up rkill. This was written by Grinler who is the head guy there and it kills malicious processes and services. Be sure to run this in safe mode before you do any scans with any other software. I could go on for hours discussing proper removal methods but it would be best to reference you to bleepingcomputer.com as there is a ton of helpful information on that site. They even have guides instructing you how to go about removing infections such as the infamous fake antivirus programs that are spreading like wild fire and trick you into thinking you need to pay them to fix the problems you're having. These guides also will show the file locations and registry entries pertaining to the infection. I hope this was helpful to anyone interested in learning more.

Glad to see someone else that uses the same methodology I posted earlier in this thread with the same site noted.
 
wow this was a post on wether or not a system recovery would remove viruses, but now its sudddenly spinning off topic about wether or not MalwareBytes can be run in safemode
 
I make a living as a computer tech and 90% of the my business is malware/rootkit removal and reading this almost made me spit coffee all over my monitor. This is not true at all. I'd like to suggest that Malwarebytes is not the only solution and I definitely use more than just this program. Malwarebytes is an exceptional program and I do recommend it be added to whatever list of software you use to remove infections. If you're looking for a good program for rootkit detection I'd run TDSSKILLER which is made by Kaspersky. Before running any anti malware or rootkit detection software, please take the time to visit bleepingcomputer.com and look up rkill. This was written by Grinler who is the head guy there and it kills malicious processes and services. Be sure to run this in safe mode before you do any scans with any other software. I could go on for hours discussing proper removal methods but it would be best to reference you to bleepingcomputer.com as there is a ton of helpful information on that site. They even have guides instructing you how to go about removing infections such as the infamous fake antivirus programs that are spreading like wild fire and trick you into thinking you need to pay them to fix the problems you're having. These guides also will show the file locations and registry entries pertaining to the infection. I hope this was helpful to anyone interested in learning more.
Thanks Sicko, my pc got infected with a nasty virus that I couldn't figure out. It was so bad windows wouldn't boot.After reading your post I did a little searching & ended up fixing it. I probably would have had to pay someone to fix it if I hadn't read your post....I didn't want to be in the 90% :laugh:
 
Thanks Sicko, my pc got infected with a nasty virus that I couldn't figure out. It was so bad windows wouldn't boot.After reading your post I did a little searching & ended up fixing it. I probably would have had to pay someone to fix it if I hadn't read your post....I didn't want to be in the 90% :laugh:

I'm glad I could help!
 
I'm glad I could help!
You have no idea....I was so frustrated with it I was about to replace the hard drive & upgrade to win7 just so I didn't have to mess with it any more. It's been down since Feb. 9 :facewall:, I ran microsoft security essentials and I thought it deleted some of my windows files, start up repair wouldn't even work :scared:
Thanks again for motivating me to fix it
 
Hm I contacted the person that posted it on the forum and told him that he was wrong and to update it, turns out he had the same issue?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top