upgrade GPU

Raxious

Active Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Messages
260
hey guys, i got a question, i got a PC that's about 3,5 years old.

- i7 920
- 6GB DDR3 RAM
- GTX 260
- 600W Power Supply


now im considering to get rid of the 260 and upgrade it to the 670, though I was wondering if any1 here knows if 600W is enough.

also, should I stick to the 6GB DDR3 or should I upgrade that to 12GB?
 
Well according to Newegg, it says that it requires a minimum of 500w psu, so your fine for now. Also 6gb of ram is fine for now. Theres no real need to upgrade to 12gb. If anything, you may want to upgrade to 8gb (which wont make much of a difference, but itll be helpful). Right now im using 6gb ddr2 memory & when I get the money set aside, im gonna get 8gb ddr3 memory. If anything, the biggest games are just now starting to take up 2-3gb of ram, so no need to worry just yet.
 
Well for triple channel memory, 6gb is what you get. 12gb sound nice but is not needed for a gaming rig. 600W should be good for a single 670. Do you know the make and model of that PSU? Also, do you have an extreme overclock on your cpu?
 
depending on which 600W power supply you have, it should be fine.
 
Well for triple channel memory, 6gb is what you get. 12gb sound nice but is not needed for a gaming rig. 600W should be good for a single 670. Do you know the make and model of that PSU? Also, do you have an extreme overclock on your cpu?

I believe it's a coolermaster.

And I don't have anything overclocked, tried it with another computer and blew that one up, so that's why I don't like to overclock.
 
Good to know on the overclocking front as a 920 can start to draw a lot more power than it already does with some high overclocks. However, still not sold on the psu. Would need the specific model as well. As an example of a problem you can run into with a low quality psu, take a look here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/arti...e-Power-Plus-600-W-Power-Supply-Review/1034/9

Can't say this is your specific psu as cooler master has several 600w ones.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top