Book Suggestions

SKYLINEGTR

EGO Is My Life!
Joined
Apr 18, 2012
Messages
4,325
I have come to the realization this past couple months that I spend WAY too much time on the internet, and while that may not always be a bad thing, I have noticed a decrease in my attention span in reading books (all sorts of books). So I came up with an idea that may, or may not, help me break this little slump.

I want my fellow eGO members (from all divisions) to chime in with their favorite books and authors. Reading has always been something I loved to do when I was younger, but slowly has died when I got my first computer in 6th grade. So I am hoping that my fellow eGO members can help fix this little slump.

Post any and all books. I don't care too much about the genre of the book as long as you guys don't torment this thread and post only love stories that my mom would only enjoy reading (or my Grandma). If you could hit more history/fantasy/sci-fi stuff then that would be cool, but again, any and all suggestions will be taken (expect Romance).

Thanks to everyone you plays a part in my rehabilitation into books :)
 
Books are my first hobby before video games.

You like fantasy, sci-fi, and history? Hmm.......

For fantasy, what Tolkien books have you read?

Sci-fi: Dune is a good choice (Haven't read it), I love Ray Bradbury. Have you read any of the classic sci-fi authors? (H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Issac Asimov)

History: Historical Fiction or Non-fiction?
 
Books are my first hobby before video games.

You like fantasy, sci-fi, and history? Hmm.......

For fantasy, what Tolkien books have you read?

Sci-fi: Dune is a good choice (Haven't read it), I love Ray Bradbury. Have you read any of the classic sci-fi authors? (H.G. Wells, Jules Verne, Issac Asimov)

History: Historical Fiction or Non-fiction?

Never read any of Tolkien's books, sorry to say that if it shocks you lol.

I will give Jules Verne a look into and the other ones you've mentioned. I really don't know most of the authors of the sci-fi books I have read seeing as I was young and don't remember the titles much.

Both. But preferably non-fiction.
 
I havent Read alot of Books but I would say

my favorite is The Outsiders and Cirque du Freak
 
I did a thread on this back in 2010, here is the list:

Well as far as Sci-fi goes:

The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
Snow Crash - Neal Stephenson
Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami
Ubik - Philip K. Dick
Neuromancer - William Gibson
Dune - Frank Herbert


For the classics:

All Quiet on the Western Front - Erich Maria Remarque
Candide: or, Optimism - Voltaire
Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories - H. P. Lovecraft
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
The Trial - Franz Kafka
Red Harvest - Dashiell Hammett


Others:

Factotum - Charles Bukowski
American Psycho - Bret Easton Ellis
The Great Shark Hunt - Hunter S. Thompson
Lullaby - Chuck Palahniuk
The New York Trilogy - Paul Auster
The Dice Man - George Cockcroft
Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West - Cormac McCarthy

The easiest two reads on this list are the Hitchhikers books and Snow Crash.
 
Last edited:
ok, seeing how I also love history books, check out these:

The Divine Comedy - Dante Alighieri
The Odyssey - Homer

both are actually epic poems, however these days the're actually available in book form.
Also, the game Dante's Inferno is based on the story of The Divine Comedy.

for Fantasy:

A Song of Fire and Ice series - George R.R. Martin
The Malazan Book of the Fallen series - Steven Erikson

Really, if u want fantasy, atleast read A Song of Fire and Ice, also known as A Game of Thrones.
 
Never read any of Tolkien's books, sorry to say that if it shocks you lol.

I will give Jules Verne a look into and the other ones you've mentioned. I really don't know most of the authors of the sci-fi books I have read seeing as I was young and don't remember the titles much.

Both. But preferably non-fiction.

No Tolkien! :scared:

Anyways, For history, Shelby Foote is the master for the Civil War. I love to read Paul Johnson for general history. For the classics, Tacitus, Herodotus, Edward Gibbon, and William Durant.
 
I am an avid reader but I am mostly into fantasy. You can check out books like The Hunger Games, The Wheel of Time series which I love very very much. Tolkien books ofc, Artemis Fowl, The Abhorsen Trilogy (Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen.) The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife, The Amber Spyglass. These are just at the top of my head, I can come up with hundreds more just need to remember everything I have read since I turned 8.
 
Reddit 200, found a ton of good books to read from this list


1. The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
2. 1984
3. Dune
4. Slaughterhouse Five
5. Ender's Game, Book 1: Ender's Game
6. Brave New World
7. The Catcher in the Rye
8. King James Version Holy Bible
9. Snow Crash
10. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
10. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
10. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
10. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
10. Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix
10. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
10. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
11. Stranger in a Strange Land
12. Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!
13. To Kill a Mockingbird
14. Foundation, Book 1: Foundation
14. Foundation, Book 3: Second Foundation
14. Foundation, Prequel 1: Prelude to Foundation
14. Foundation, Prequel 2: Forward the Foundation
14. Foundation, Book 4: Foundation's Edge
15. Neuromancer
16. The Complete Calvin and Hobbes
17. Guns, Germs, and Steel
18. Catch-22
19. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
20. Siddhartha
21. The Selfish Gene
22. Godel, Escher, Bach
23. Tao Te Ching
24. House of Leaves
25. The Giver
26. Crime And Punishment
27. Animal Farm
28. A People's History of the United States
29. The Lord of the Rings Boxed Set
30. Ishmael
31. A Brief History of Time
32. Lolita
33. The Count of Monte Cristo
34. His Dark Materials Trilogy
39. The Monster at the End of this Book
40. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
41. A Short History of Nearly Everything
42. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
43. One Hundred Years of Solitude
44. The Art of War
45. How To Win Friends and Influence People
46. Flowers for Algernon
47. Hyperion
48. A Confederacy of Dunces
49. Declaration Of Independence, Constitution Of The United States Of America, Bill Of Rights And Constitutional Amendments
50. Cat's Cradle
51. A Canticle for Leibowitz
54. A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 5: A Dance with Dragons
54. A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 2: A Clash of Kings
54. A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3: A Storm of Swords
54. A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4: A Feast for Crows
55. The Great Gatsby
56. The Brothers Karamazov
57. Ringworld
58. A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 1: A Game of Thrones
59. The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security
61. Freakonomics
62. The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress
63. The Omnivore's Dilemma
65. The Forever War
66. Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
67. Lies My Teacher Told Me
68. Notes from the Underground
69. Everyone Poops
70. On the Origin Of Species
71. The Autobiography of Malcolm X
73. The Communist Manifesto
74. Contact
75. A Clockwork Orange
76. The Prince
77. Atlas Shrugged
78. The Diamond Age
79. War and Peace
80. The Stand
81. The Dharma Bums
82. The Hobbit
83. Moby Dick
84. The Unbearable Lightness of Being
86. Manufacturing Consent: The Political Economy of the Mass Media
88. The Old Man And The Sea
89. Collapse
90. Infinite Jest
91. Don Quixote
92. Chaos: Making a Science
93. American Gods
94. Starship Troopers
95. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
96. You Can Choose To Be Happy
97. The Geography of Nowhere
99. Candide
100. Mein Kampf
102. In Defense of Food
103. The Dark Tower III: The Waste Lands
103. The Dark Tower VII: The Dark Tower
104. Fight Club
105. The Greatest Show on Earth
106. The Making of a Radical
107. The Turner Diaries
108. The Scar
109. Steppenwolf
110. Going Rogue: An American Life
111. The 120 Days of Sodom
112. Rendezvous with Rama
113. Oryx and Crake
114. Beyond Good and Evil
115. Gravity's Rainbow
117. Childhood's End
118. Of Mice and Men
119. The Book of The Ler
120. The Demon-Haunted World
121. Johnny Got His Gun
122. Cryptonomicon
123. Watership Down
124. Breakfast of Champions
125. Civilization and Capitalism
126. Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs
127. A Fire Upon The Deep
128. The Saga of Seven Suns, Book 1: Hidden Empire
128. The Saga of Seven Suns, Book 3: Horizon Storms
128. The Saga of Seven Suns, Book 2: A Forest of Stars
128. The Saga of Seven Suns, Book 5: Of Fire and Night
128. The Saga of Seven Suns, Book 4: Scattered Suns
128. The Saga of Seven Suns, Book 6: Metal Swarm
128. The Saga of Seven Suns, Book 7: The Ashes of Worlds
129. The Grapes of Wrath
130. American Psycho
131. The Mote in God's Eye
132. The Chomsky Reader
133. The Panda's Thumb
135. On the Road
136. The God Delusion
137. The Classical Style
138. Here Be Dragons
140. Pale Blue Dot
141. The Little Schemer
143. Black Lamb and Grey Falcon
144. Thus Spake Zarathustra
146. The Game
147. Good Omens
148. Mere Christianity
149. Walden
150. The Collapse of Complex Societies
151. Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
153. The Pillars of the Earth
155. Perdido Street Station
156. Man's Search for Meaning
157. The Waste Land
158. The Kite Runner
159. Pi to Five Million Places
160. The Blank Slate: The Modern Denial of Human Nature
161. The Dispossessed
162. Guts
163. Fear and Trembling
164. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
165. Kafka on the Shore
166. Ulysses
167. Macbeth
168. Basic Economics
169. Atheism: The Case Against God
170. The Handmaid's Tale
171. For Whom the Bell Tolls
173. Women
174. Mars Trilogy, Book 1: Red Mars
175. We Need to Talk About Kevin
176. How We Die: Reflections of Life's Final Chapter
177. Philosophical Investigations
178. The Singularity Is Near
179. The Day of the Triffids
180. The Long Walk
181. Blood Meridian
182. The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 1: The Eye of the World
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 2: The Great Hunt
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 4: The Shadow Rising
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 5: The Fires of Heaven
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 3: The Dragon Reborn
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 7: A Crown of Swords
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 10: Crossroads of Twilight
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 11: Knife of Dreams
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 9: Winner's Heart
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 8: The Path of Daggers
183. The Wheel of Time, Book 6: Lord of Chaos
183. The Wheel of Time, Prequel: Spring
185. A Suitable Boy
186. The Book of the New Sun, First Half: Shadow and Claw
186. The Book of the New Sun, Second Half: Sword and Citadel
187. King Lear
188. The Power of Myth
189. The Voyage of Argo: The Argonautica
190. The Baroque Cycle, Volume 1: Quicksilver
190. The Baroque Cycle, Volume 2: The Confusion
190. The Baroque Cycle, Volume 3: The System of the World
191. Aristotle Nichomachean Ethics
192. Long Walk to Freedom
193. Cloud Atlas
194. The Master and Margarita
195. The Chrysalids
197. Cosmos
198. The Fountainhead
199. Hamlet
200. The Hero with a Thousand Faces
 
id recommend the Pendragon series by d j machale its a 10 book series, easy reading, if a bit long
 
Harry Potter, I will not talk to you until you have read that.
 
Tucker Max is a genius. I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell is an amazing book (so are all his other books)
I'd also recommend the Hunger Games series, Fight Club (if you like the movie you'll love the book), The Count of Monte Cristo, Alaska (hard to get into, but a good book nonetheless), or Savage Texas (if you like westerns)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top