Bad Company 2 Gunning / Flying the HIND

Tikkun Olam

The Rude Canuck
Joined
Sep 18, 2013
Messages
266
For the most part I'm a mediocre pilot but I do ok on the HIND...any day I can mess with the rocketboys is a good day in my mind. :] Your own suggestions and pointers would be cool.

I just wanted to touch on what I do and what I think the gunner (and maybe other pilots) should do so that we're more in synch. I figure that when it's not a troop carrier it's air support, and that mostly from a distance, and at the start of the round goes straight to B.

The HIND can be pretty impressive air support.

I know it drives me nuts when I'm gunning and the pilot flies around like it's an attack chopper...nape of the earth, nose down so I can't fire at anything, axial twists to throw my aim off, etc...and doesn't seem to pay attention to what I'm aiming at, so when I fly I try to take all that stuff into consideration.

I'll always try to keep an even keel or steady strafing movement and only move the nose when you're not shooting - but for me to get the timing down you have to keep firing pretty much all the time. If you can't actually see anything, fire into likely places. When it comes to the end of every burst there's a predictable pause where I can make axial turns or nose up or down without throwing you off. The HIND is very responsive to those motions so it only takes a moment.

I fly backwards (steadily) a lot so that you have a larger field of view. Be patient, I'll go forward again so I can repeat.

I try to remember to be engineer when I pilot. If we have to land for repair I'll jump out - even if you can repair, stick with the gun.

Mostly though, KEEP FIRING.

PS. I forgot to mention - If I really veer off there's a reason. Look where I'm trying to point the nose.
 
Last edited:
I am a horrible pilot. But, I'll take a heli up when they've been forgotten and the "other guy" that shows up thinks he's worse than I am. Please if you're a friend, don't fly with me!

Hind to B early as you say or to the AA ridge or C if lucky later on.
Nice to have an engineer on board for one of those long and profitable flights :)

Don't we all think we're the greatest gunners? LOL!
I can't see s*** to fire at on the monochrome Apache/Havoc screen but I can SPOT!
Use the heli symbol on the minimap to tell where to look next.

Working on better piloting skills, thanks for having me along as your gunner!
 
Still waiting for the nuggets to fall from those great L50 pilot/gunners!
How many of you use joysticks for heli?
 
Other Hind stuff....

I'll pilot that too, I can't handle the attack helos without making a big hole in the ground. But I'll take the Hind, either for a trip to a flag zone or to flank them if I can get enough passengers, or to provide air defense (and missile shooter defense) to the tanks and infantry.

The Hind gun hits a tank and it only does a couple a points of damage. You need lots of hits to really have an effect. Shoot for the apache, the AA gunner, the uav operator, and missile shooters, in that order. Keep an eye out for that smoke trail! That means you have incoming.

To enable repair in the air take your hands off the mouse; when the helo goes level, someone can repair from the back.

Passengers can spot too! It's hard when the helo is rocking like the pilot is having an epileptic fit, but a recon in the back raising his mortar sight can spot a whole area, not just where his crosshairs are pointing.

If you even think there is a small chance you're landing in a hot LZ then don't land. Pitch forward and go nose first into the ground. Bail when high up and pop the chute at the last second. If not high enough, then be sure to turn around and give the first missile to the Hind so it's not captured

Random tosses of AT mines from the back can be fun; part of the AT mine lottery
.
 
I'm a decent pilot, flying for me has been the easier portion, but the missles.....the Damn missles are hard to master. Seems a quarter inch beneath the x hairs are zeroed at 50 meters after that it falls from there. Some guys have found a solution that works and are far better than most, maybe they learned this from experience, I dunno. I fly with the mouse, I've tried a joystick but was a pain in the ass.
 
Other Hind stuff....

The Hind gun hits a tank and it only does a couple a points of damage. You need lots of hits to really have an effect. Shoot for the apache, the AA gunner, the uav operator, and missile shooters,

To enable repair in the air take your hands off the mouse; when the helo goes level, someone can repair from the back.

. . . a recon in the back raising his mortar sight can spot a whole area, not just where his crosshairs are pointing.

. . . If not high enough, then be sure to turn around and give the first missile to the Hind so it's not captured

Random tosses of AT mines from the back can be fun; part of the AT mine lottery
.

Good point about the tanks. If you're above their line of fire shooting directly down on them can be effective and very distracting though.

I had no idea leveling out is what permits in-flight repair. I thought it had something to do with where it was taking hits. Drives me crazy when I can't find the repair spot. I had no idea about spotting with the mortar, either.

I love it when the enemy leaves their helos lying around for anyone to clean up and drive away. :]

And I've been lucky Pierre in your mine lottery a couple of times...yep. :|
 
I'm a decent pilot, flying for me has been the easier portion, but the missles.....the Damn missles are hard to master. Seems a quarter inch beneath the x hairs are zeroed at 50 meters after that it falls from there. Some guys have found a solution that works and are far better than most, maybe they learned this from experience, I dunno. I fly with the mouse, I've tried a joystick but was a pain in the ass.

It's easier for missilers to judge up and down motion than left to right, and it doesn't change their aim much if you're going straight at them, so I try to deke right or left while going hard down and backwards trying to keep the nose pointed at the missiler to have a smaller profile. That's my little "secret".
 
When I fly Hind I fly in the third person. High and a slow strafe so the lobbed tank shells having very hard time zeroing in. Turn the Hind so you can keep an eye on the left flank where the Apache likes to come in over the trees. Turning the Hind has an additional boon. it reduces the length of the Hind that would be directly in front of you if you are looking towards B. When you are turned to the left it reduces your blind spot that would be B. It is important because that is where the AT4 fire is coming from. Good players won't fire the AT4 right at you so you don't hear the bell tones so you have to see them coming. Pick up speed in the direction of your strafe and when it starts to get closer saw that sucker in the opposite direction and drop elevation. One repair man is good two is great.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top