FPS Drop for a short time in all games

Mr. Yeah

Rookie
Joined
Aug 6, 2008
Messages
34
Hello,

On my laptop (yes, a laptop for gaming, I know. But it's decent), while playing any game, I get a FPS drop for about 30-40 seconds, then it returns to normal for about 10 minutes, then it does it over again.

Before, games ran near perfect on my laptop. It may have not looked the best, but it was decent and it played.

I don't have a whole lot of background programs open, just steam, the game, xfire, and the system services. Any idea of why this may be happening? I set the theme to Windows Classic to see if that would help any. I did a virus scan, and it returned nothing.

Thanks for reading. :D

(Also included a DxDiag)
 
Sounds like a heat issue. How old is your laptop? If you've had it a while, you may want to try and clean out the fans. It's summer too, don't forget, make sure you keep it cool. It's easier to overheat a laptop then a big old desktop. Have you tried monitoring your temps to make sure your in a reasonable range? Also, your running Vista, and I've heard a lot of problems with games on it, and sometimes it can be a pest. I was scouring some forums, and found a few instances of Steam+Vista and fps drops.
 
I agree with Spray on this one.. Because it's happening in all your games, it sounds like you're overheating your cpu/gpu and it is being throttled to avoid damage.
 
Last edited:
Alright, I bought a cooling fan to see if that would help any.

Is there any type of program that can tell me what my temperature is? Or is it hardware/software?
 
Alright, I bought a cooling fan to see if that would help any.

Is there any type of program that can tell me what my temperature is? Or is it hardware/software?

should be software... if you have ati, open up catalyst control and it should tell... idk bout nvidia or any other integrated ones.
 
For a laptop? Under 60-70C during heavy load for the CPU and GPU, depending on the parts. Laptops have a higher tolerance for heat, though. If it was a desktop you would be shooting for much lower temps then that.

I'm not completely sure, though, as I don't game on my lappy. Perhaps someone can confirm/correct me.
 
That sounds correct, except graphics cards run even hotter than that, up to 75 on a desktop, so probably more on laptop.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top