Rosetta Stone

Cryptex

EGO Is My Life!
=(e)=
Joined
Oct 17, 2006
Messages
4,601
I just got Rosetta Stone Japanese I & II for translating mangas for a website I go to, and I was wondering if anybody here has had any success with it? Don't want to open the box to find some crap software that I can't return :P
 
It is supposed to be good, I was considering getting it to learn russian but it is a bit too expensive...
 
Never used it before...... Nor have I heard of anyone who has... I find dropping your self dead in the country side of the country you want to learn the language of is always been best for me :p


Always wondered if it work post a weekly report of how you doing so we can gauge it or just plan make fun of ya :p
 
Never used it before...... Nor have I heard of anyone who has... I find dropping your self dead in the country side of the country you want to learn the language of is always been best for me :p


Always wondered if it work post a weekly report of how you doing so we can gauge it or just plan make fun of ya :p

Excellent idea! You get a cookie!
 
It is good. I would get a good dictionary. As far as i know you must learn to speak Japanese before you can read it. I have tried Farsi and i will use Chinese soon in conjunction with a class. Best thing is take a class at a community college if you can, at least for the Conversational Japanese.
 
It is good. I would get a good dictionary. As far as i know you must learn to speak Japanese before you can read it. I have tried Farsi and i will use Chinese soon in conjunction with a class. Best thing is take a class at a community college if you can, at least for the Conversational Japanese.

I'll look into that.
 
from what I've heard, it's rather good. I'm planning on getting the German software for Xmas, couple of friends of mine live in Germany, and it would be a trip for me to speak to them in their native language for once :) I'm also thinking about taking the Arabic and Chinese courses, just because they are not "Mainstream" languages.
 
I've always wondered about this one. How exactly does it teach you to READ the language, though? Or does it?
 
I've always wondered about this one. How exactly does it teach you to READ the language, though? Or does it?

It's not memorization! It's like someone is relaxed, in the comfort of your own home, teaching you the language!

lol
 
I've always wondered about this one. How exactly does it teach you to READ the language, though? Or does it?

In each level of learning, there's several Units, and under each of the main units is a number of sub-units. It starts slow with simple words like cat, dog, etc. It advances you slowly into more and more complex words and sentences, eventually letting write and read them aloud to their speech recognition software. It's surprisingly simple.

So basically, it does both.
 
I've been trying to teach myself japanese for a few years now. Watching anime has been a great help :-b. I can give you links to some good websites that help with learning the kana sets. As for kanji.... good luck. There are over 1000 kanji characters that are the "Standard" not to mention all of the non-standard ones :-b.

For a simple kanji dictionary go to mahou.org. I've found it a great place for looking up kanji.

As for rosetta stone. Unless you have a real ear for languages, I don't know how much help it will be
 
I've used it to touch up my Spanish, and work on Latin and Japanese.

It's much more effective than the four years of courses I took in spanish. Then again it could have been the instructors.

It is still a lot of work.

I would recommend it, though it can be pretty expensive if you want a legit copy.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top