My new Gaming Rig

Clarko

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
737
Well after sometime of looking online and checking out prices from local retailers I decided to get everything from the store. I spent well into 1500 to 1650 in total, this is a new build not just an upgrade like I stated on a previous posts. Check it out:

CPU-Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfedale 3.16 GHZ 13333MHz FSB, 6MB of cache,etc. 289.99(from Compusa. I asked them if they price match with Newegg and they do so i will be getting some of my money back cause newegg has it for 189.99 retail.)

Link-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036&Tpk=e8500

Mobo-ASUS P5N-D LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail 159.99

Link-http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3573170&CatId=3495

RAM-Corsair XMS2 DHX 4096MB Dual Channel PC6400 DDR2 800MHz Memory (2 x 2048MB)

Link-http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3089474&CatId=3412

GPU-XFX GeForce GTX 260 Video Card - FREE Assasin's Creed PC Game, 896MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0 x16, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV

Link-http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3936999&CatId=3775

PSU-Thermaltake W0106RU 700W Complies with ATX 12V 2.2 & EPS 12V version SLI Certified 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Link-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153039

Case-COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1000 RC-1000-KSN1-GP Black/ Silver Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

Link-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119138

CPU Cooler-Thermaltake / V1 / Multi-Socket 775/AM2/939/754 / Copper / CPU Cooler

Link-http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3071635&CatId=1588

HDD-Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM

Link-http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2273393&CatId=2459

I can't wait to get home and put it all together. Only problem I have ATM is that XP 32 bit will not recognize all 4 gigs of ram. It will only go up to 3 gigs. I have been reading that I need th 64-bit version so it will recognize the RAM properly. Then there is vista? lol i was thinking about partitioning the HDD to have both OS on the computer. Funny thing is that it says on the Corsair package is that if used with a 32-bit operating system it will void the warrenty. But I want to know how they know if it has been used in that fashion?

I will be editing this post incase I indicated some wrong parts I bought. I am writing this from school so I do not have the reciepts with me.
 
Last edited:
The only thing I don't like with that build is the card. The GTX 260 is a waste of money, big time. If you're a diehard nVidia fan, I would've waited until the price for the 280's drops more, or just bought a 4870 or 4850x2

4850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102759&Tpk=4850

GTX 280
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130366

4870
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161236

i somewhat agree, but the xfx card is the best 200 series cards out there and the free assasins creed is cool. not a bad buy at all really on the video card

i think you should have gotten an evga motherboard they have better support than asus and nvidia cards work better on evga boards.

i also think you wasted your money on your memory. You should have gotten some 1066 mhz modules instead of the 800.

i also hope you are running 64 bit to use all your 4 gigs of memory.

looks like an ok system i would give it 7/10
 
yea i know about the 4 gig issue and I am not running 64-bit at the moment. Still has bugs and not everything will run so yea. i know its a loss. there is a PAE file i can change but it will give me 3.5 at the most
 
yea i know about the 4 gig issue and I am not running 64-bit at the moment. Still has bugs and not everything will run so yea. i know its a loss. there is a PAE file i can change but it will give me 3.5 at the most

what do you have that wont run on 64 bit?
 
Clarko, there's a 4GB limit on any RAM in your system, not just physical DIMMs. It includes your soundcard, GFX, anything else with some type of memory.

nvidia cards work better on evga boards.

Wat? How exactly does a card, which relies on drivers from the cards creator, and interfaces with a standardized slot, work better on one brands board?

~Gooda~
 
Last edited:
I love nVidia, but no way I would have bought the 200 series cards over the 4800's.
 
Good system. I agree with many people who opinionated about the video card, but GTX 260 isn't exactly a bad card either.
 
LOL oh man guys you are making me change my mind but I already opened the box so unless I find a buyer for the card then I would think about getting the 280. I really was interested in getting the ATI 4870 X2 but I started reading up on how Nvidia aqyuired Ageia and is not updating their cards with software to help run physics in the game better. It eliminates the power that the CPU has to do and gives it to the GPU when it is not using all its horse power. I haven't tried all my games on the new rig(I am installing priority security and system software) but I did get a change to instal crysis real quick. Looks and runs great on high settings. I do not have it maxed out because I do not own Vista yet(waiting to get a cheap copy to partition HDD)which leads me to ask if I need to reformat the whole drive again or can I just add the partition?(If someone can reply about that thanks).

I am happy with my new rig for the time being until I find something wrong. I will be posting pictures of it and man it bearly fits on my desk its funny!

Aw man reading into Mr. Awsome reply and reading up on the 4870 look at the GDDR5 vs my GDDR3 I should have gotten with that. I am going to try and see if I can get it exchanged. I am sure I have to pay a restocking fee. Wish me luck!
 
Okay so I just called Compusa and as long as I have everything and if i am okay with 15 percent stocking fee I am getting the ATI 4870! FTW wish me luck!
 
Well after my class being cancelled again for the 2nd time I spent some time on the campus computers researching the pros and cons between the 4870 vs my 260 gtx. I am sticking with my card. its just a 6 percent performance increase that ATI has over mine and ATI card using much more voltage on idle than mine. sure it keeps quite but it keeps hot too. See you on 2fort when i finish installing everything
 
By SB do you mean sound blaster? because I use Creatives x-fi Fatality sound card 1st gen.
 
Yes, Creative is notorious for providing crappy drivers for x64 systems, and suing/preventing a well-known driver producer (a end-user) from supplying excellent drivers for their products for free.

~Gooda~
 
Yes, Creative is notorious for providing crappy drivers for x64 systems, and suing/preventing a well-known driver producer (a end-user) from supplying excellent drivers for their products for free.

~Gooda~

well im using the gamer edition x fi card on 64 bit and it works fine. no problems at all
 
On-board sound ftw.

You haven't heard nothing, until you've heard on-board sound. :P
 
Well here are some pics of the new rig that i will also post on the Post your Gaming Rig sticky. I went with a non window case this time. Its a full tower and it barely fits on on my desk compared to my other computer lol. I love this thing and it has to potential to upgrade to a quad core so that is nice. Pics of new rig and old rig size comparison:

IMG_2146.jpg

IMG_2150.jpg

IMG_2147.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

IMG_2151.jpg

IMG_2148.jpg

IMG_2149.jpg

IMG_2154.jpg

IMG_2156.jpg
 

Latest posts

Back
Top