How Many HDDs?

Not-Z

Active Member
Joined
Jul 22, 2008
Messages
305
How many HDDs have you had in the past and including failed ones?
How many HDDs do you have now?

People talk about failed hard drives and such.

To start off, I've had total of 32 hdd's in the past and had 2 failures.
Maxtor failed on me once and Segate once as well.

Current.

1 x 500 gig in the computer.
4 x 500 gig WD External Drives.
2 x 80 gig Maxtor in generic external cases.
2 x 150 gig in my laptop.
1 x 40 gig iPod.

2920 gig before format all to myself.
 
I don't have that many HDD's, and I have yet to have any of three (including my families) fail. I also know two people with multiple HDD's (each have at least 6 = 1.5 TB) and have also never had a problem. However, I work for a Help Desk here at school and have seen many, many, HDD failures in the past couple years (I would estimate about 12). We directly support about 150 computers, so I would say 6 HDD failures per year isn't so bad...
 
My original build was 5 or so years and I start with 1 - WD 120GB SE (16mb cache)... that drive is still in use... my 80GB WD storage drive I added to that computer still works... and my WD 250GB SATA on my current rig works too... tack on my 250 external WD and I have had four HDDs and NONE of them have failed.
 
1x250GB WD external
2x250GB Maxtor internal
1x250GB Lacie porshe external
1x120GB packard bell external
1x500GB WD external
1x250GB Lacie brick external
1x320GB
1x 100GB laptop

total +-2TB (full with movies and music)

Never had failures, ever
 
Yea, I think that when I'm done with school I'll be able to put a little more time in to putzing with such things (much less affording them). I'm hoping to get a new build going after I get a job in December or January (that's if I graduate in December...which should happen if I can keep the nose to the grind stone)
 
2x500GB RAID 0
2x250GB USB external
1x500GB (wife's machine)
1x40GB (wife's older laptop)
6x500GB file server/pvr/htpc machine - it is *NOT* quiet and hence lives in the closet near the TV. I Rip any DVD's on my machine and send them across the network if I have to. It isn't RAID, either.

Who knows how many in the past. Although my first RAID setup was on a promise RAID card with a pair of 8GB and people wondered what could I possibly ever need that much space for... ha!
 
Currently, I've got

2x 500GB SATA Seagate 32mb cache HDDs in Raid 0
1x 500GB SATA WD 16mb cache external
1x 300GB IDE Maxtor 16mb cache external
1x 200GB IDE Maxtor 8mb cache external

for 2000GB unformated total.
Filled with games, movies, music, books, TV shows, and stuff.
Hoping to buy at least 1TB of storage on top of this soon.

any suggestions on whether I should go with 4 500GB drives in RAID 0 or go RAID 0 + 1? or even two RAID 0 sets?
 
Currently, I've got

2x 500GB SATA Seagate 32mb cache HDDs in Raid 0
1x 500GB SATA WD 16mb cache external
1x 300GB IDE Maxtor 16mb cache external
1x 200GB IDE Maxtor 8mb cache external

for 2000GB unformated total.
Filled with games, movies, music, books, TV shows, and stuff.
Hoping to buy at least 1TB of storage on top of this soon.

any suggestions on whether I should go with 4 500GB drives in RAID 0 or go RAID 0 + 1? or even two RAID 0 sets?

If you're paranoid like me, I go with Raid 1. However, there is nothing wrong with Raid 0, and I don't think that you need two Raid 0's...
 
umm lol
this is going to sound so newb
1 8gb computer
1 32gb computer
2 200 gb computer
1 30gb zune
1 4 gb thumb drive
lol
474 gig all together >.>
ive never really needed more though
and yes i did have a computer with 8gb
 
If you're paranoid like me, I go with Raid 1. However, there is nothing wrong with Raid 0, and I don't think that you need two Raid 0's...

the reason I was thinking of 2 RAID 0 sets was in case one hdd fails, I don't lose all 2TB of data, though I suppose I might as well go raid 0+1 in that case.
 
Currently running

1x 320GB Seagate
1 x 150GB RaptorX

Have had about 22-24 drives in 8 years and 6 have died but only from serious usage and most of them were the earlier ones before I had a ton of memory.
 
1 Seagate 80GB failed on me after ~5 years of use. So i took it apart just because i was curious. :p

Replaced with another Seagate 7200.10 80GB early this year.

Just fyi, im only using about 24GB of the 74 thats available. :D
 
heres the thing on raid: as long as you dont move ur machine that much, then its def worth using because ur chances of losin your hard drive decreases (not much tho i cant remember how much longer ur hard drives stay active). even tho not many ppl do raid, it does have its advantages. biggest advantage of course is the loading times & speed.

myself i have 1x200 gb sata, 1x300 gb sata, 1x500gb sata, 2x60 gb ide (notebook drives), 40gb ide (1st extra hard drive ever), not sure on our 1st machine since it was windows 3.1, so im sure it was under 1gb, & not sure on the hd for my dads current laptop.
 
I don't know how many I've owned. A rough guess - is about 30.

Sizes range from 106mb to 500gb

I've had about 8 full failures total. Drives that start getting spotty (bad sectors, noises) I usually retire before they die.

Best brands I've used & trust the most

- Hitachi (Deskstar, Ultrastar)
- Seagate

My Seagate 106mb :P That thing sounded like a car with belt problems before I got a replacement system for it.

The thing NEVER died.

I also had a seagate medalist 1.2gb that did the same thing.
 
hmm for me?

used to have a 320 Gb maxtor external but it had an epic phail and went up in smoke (literally)

1 x 160Gb WD Caviar - for my 32-bit vista ultimate
1 x 150Gb WD Raptor @10000RPM - for my games
1 x 300Gb WD Velociraptor @10000RPM - for my 64-bit vista ultimate-default boot
1 x 80 Gb Video Ipod
1 x 16 Gb Ipod Touch
1 x 300Gb WD MyBook w/eSATA
1 x 500Gb WD MyBook
1 x 4 Gb Corsair thumb drive

Guess i could include my crappy 160 Gb hitachi drive in my laptop (xps m1210)

all done

-Blue Stealth
 

Latest posts

Back
Top