Problems (urgent)

-Jv-

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
May 14, 2008
Messages
2,159
Ok, so when I play any source game... (never encountered the problem with another game) . When i'm playing the game for a while (sometimes 1h, or 2h,....) there are 1px stripes all over my screen then it turns black (not really black but just a color, most of the times grey) and when I try to alt-tab my stystem just blocks and the only solution is to power down by keep pressing the power button...

NEED HELP !bang!bang!bang

Thanks, Jv
 
First what vid card do you have? If you have Nvidia look up rivatuner and check your temps on your vid card. If you have ATI look up ATI tools. After you get your temp. readings for idle and max out check what they are for your card from the manufactures website. Seems like your vid card is over heating unless your whole computer locks up and/or shuts down its your comp.
 
First what vid card do you have? If you have Nvidia look up rivatuner and check your temps on your vid card. If you have ATI look up ATI tools. After you get your temp. readings for idle and max out check what they are for your card from the manufactures website. Seems like your vid card is over heating unless your whole computer locks up and/or shuts down its your comp.

I've got 2 8600GT's (in sli) the CLUB 3D overclock edition.
 
I've downloaded RivaTuner but where do i check temps ? :s
 
You can also download and install Speedfan for a quick check on your CPU and system temps.

If you are running SLI AND overclocking, my suggestion would be to pull down your clock speed to factory settings, use a single video card and see if the problem persists. You may just be seeing artifacts of an unstable system. When you're troubleshooting, it's best to go down to the simplest settings and then slowly work your way back up.
 
Firstly, Clean the inside of your case with compressed air.
Get the dust out, make sure the air flow is still good.

Obviously check for SLI drivers to see if anything has been changed or whatnot.

If your computer has recently been moved, or maybe your pet headbutted it while you were not there, check your connections. Since you are having graphical issues, check your monitor cable to make sure it is snug.

Also, this could be a sign that your monitor is failing. I haven't seen "1 black line" before but I have seen many appear when I try to boot and won't let me.
 
Firstly, Clean the inside of your case with compressed air.
Get the dust out, make sure the air flow is still good.

Obviously check for SLI drivers to see if anything has been changed or whatnot.

If your computer has recently been moved, or maybe your pet headbutted it while you were not there, check your connections. Since you are having graphical issues, check your monitor cable to make sure it is snug.

Also, this could be a sign that your monitor is failing. I haven't seen "1 black line" before but I have seen many appear when I try to boot and won't let me.

I just checked, and when I played TF2 for like 1-2hrs both of my GPU's are 70+?c
 
Sounds like you have heat or power issues with your build. Another possible explanation may be a graphics card going bad.
 
Sounds like you have heat or power issues with your build. Another possible explanation may be a graphics card going bad.

Any way to find the cause ? My build isn't even a year old....
 
Sounds like your cards are artifacting, or producing errors from overheating. Roll back the overclocking a bit. Also, are you using nVidia's precision overclocker? Download it from their site and see if you can up the fan speed a bit. Sometimes you mobo will self adjust, sometimes not and this is where you can potentially have issues.

-Make sure drivers are up to date
-Check all connections as heat can loosen them
-Check for any airflow obscructions and clear them out whether it is messy cabling or dust
 
It does suck cuz it can be all of these things mentioned or something we have missed.

Your video card might have gone kaput, or even the monitor. We've all seen video cards die due to over heating, bad transistors, among other things.

I'm hoping you've found temp checker for your video card.
 
It does suck cuz it can be all of these things mentioned or something we have missed.

Your video card might have gone kaput, or even the monitor. We've all seen video cards die due to over heating, bad transistors, among other things.

I'm hoping you've found temp checker for your video card.

Temp checker ? Not the monitor, I recently bought a new one, and I already had those problems..
 
I think it might be due to over heating, you should open your case and play to test it out, play for a couple of hours non stop and if it works problem solved! My brother bought this fan thing, so when you play games or something you turn nozzle thing, and the fan speeds up and turns on extra ones to stop the cooling, try my case open thing to see if it works. If it doesnt tell us so we can help you more. :)
 
I would definitely blame overheating. Mine used to do this after a random amount of time...

372b236058a96739e620e895442f707e847101cd.jpg


My COMPLETE fix was simply getting a PCI Slot fan and placing it right under my card. I got mine from Newegg (eGO Mall Link). Just click that link and do a search for "AOC FC-2000 PCI Slot Case Cooler" and it will pop right up. Roughly 15 bucks shipped to my door.
 
I think it might be due to over heating, you should open your case and play to test it out, play for a couple of hours non stop and if it works problem solved!

This can actually worsen the cooling in your system. Cases are designed to act like a wind tunnel, carrying air over your vital components. By removing a panel, or even those expansion card brackets in the back can affect the direction of flow within your PC.

Just make sure your vents are cleared of dust or obstructions. Check your temps and find out where hot-spots are occurring. Test the monitor out on another computer to eliminate that possibility. If you are fairly certain that it is your video card, it might be time to start pricing out a new one. I know nVidia dropped their 9600 cards to about 80 bucks or so.
 
Well today I read that Nvidia has forbidden CLUB 3D to make any nVidia cards... To that has to play with something. Today I installed 2 better fans, and didn't have any problems (yet), I also noticed my SLI connector was a little loose... It's all good now :) (I hope).

Anyway, Thanks alot for all the help !!
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top