How do I know its PCI express 1.0 or 2.0? (Quick please!)

Anthemjack

Active Member
Joined
Sep 28, 2008
Messages
408
I am about to buy a new graphic card, and I need to know if its 1.0 or 2.0, cause I'm running a 6150 SE graphic card right now and I think its 1.0 and I'm about to buy 9500 GT that only supports 2.0 PCI express. How can I solve this?
 
All the 9500 GTs I see on newegg are PCI-E 2.0 x16, now if your board is only PCI-E x16 (not 2.0) it won't matter. It's backward compatible. Thats currently what I'm doing, I have a PCI-E 2.0 x16 card on a PCI-E x16 board and it runs just fine.

The way to see if its 2.0 or not is right in the title. For example all the ones on newegg looked like this: "GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail" Says PCI-E 2.0 x16 right there.
 
All the 9500 GTs I see on newegg are PCI-E 2.0 x16, now if your board is only PCI-E x16 (not 2.0) it won't matter. It's backward compatible. Thats currently what I'm doing, I have a PCI-E 2.0 x16 card on a PCI-E x16 board and it runs just fine.

The way to see if its 2.0 or not is right in the title. For example all the ones on newegg looked like this: "GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail" Says PCI-E 2.0 x16 right there.

Thats the problem, I need to know if it is 2.0 or 1.0 on my PC, if that graphic card will fit.

NEVERMIND I FOUND IT ITS A X16!!!! Took me minutes just to count the pins in my computer to see if it is :D. CLOSE PLEASE!
 
Last edited:
x16 is the lane count. You have to look at your motherboard's specifications to find out if it's PCI 1.1 or PCI 2.0.
 
PCIe 1.1 and 2.0 are the exact same thing physically (at least the shape), the only difference is the amount of bandwidth each lane has. 2.0 has a TON more than 1.1, but with the current graphics cards, we're not anywhere near maxing out 1.1's bandwidth.

You'll be fine either way for at least another year or two. I think the latest Nvidia cards reach about 8x out of 16x lanes in PCIe 1.1.

~Gooda~
 
K thanks guys, i'll continue to buy that graphic card, if it doesn't fit, I dunno what i'll do.
 
It's PCIe 1.1, you'll be fine. x16 length/bandwidth, you're good.

EDIT: That's one weird form factor, uATX? Never heard of that.

~Gooda~
 
Yeah uATX isn't very common. If you ever want to upgrade to a PCIe 2.0 motherboard, you can get the M2N-E for very cheap. I currently have the M2N-E motherboard...I bought it for $100. Of course, that was a year ago so I don't know if it's the same price now.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top