Havegooda's New Build *Lots of Pics*

Havegooda {A|R}

EGO Addict
Joined
Feb 18, 2008
Messages
1,253
Heyo!

So I'm building my new computer pretty soon. The case (Rocketfish by Lian-Li <3) is being modded right now so that I can mount a custom watercooling setup inside the case. I'll be posting updated pics every so often, so keep checking up!

Planned Specs
  • CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 - Engineering Sample. This processor has higher binned silicon (most likely), which generally means higher heat tolerances, and potentially higher overclocks. It also features an unlocked multiplier which is a great help in overclocking. Got it for $130, and I believe it's the only one in the wild. Never seen another one. Link (to regular Q6600)
  • Motherboard: DFI DK X48 T2RS. Chose this board for two reasons: It's x48 (two full x16 lanes for Crossfire) and it's color scheme, which is orange and black. Link
  • RAM: G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2-1000. I'm getting two kits of these for a total of 8GB of RAM. They run cool, and their timings can get really tight. G.Skill is also really good about replacing any dead sticks quickly. Link
  • Harddrives: Western Digital 640GB AAKS. These are probably the fastest drives in existence right now, even beating a 150GB Raptor in some reviews. Two of these smoke said Raptor for the same price, and have more than a terabyte more space (if used in RAID0). I'm getting four (4) and putting them into RAID5. Link
  • RAID Card: Dell PERC 5/i. It's a very solid performer, and can be found for as cheap as $120 on eBay. I got lucky and got the entire package for $94 (card, memory, battery, cables). Link (expired eBay auction)
  • Video cards: VisionTek (probably) 4870x2. I'm getting two of these. Why? Because I can :D. These will be the single most expensive part of my build, at $550 each. Black PCB = teh win. Link

I'll update this post with the watercooling loop once I decide what I want exactly (in terms of radiators and GPU blocks).

Some pics to get us started. The guy I'm having mod the case has already started getting a rough idea of how everything's going to fit (it's gonna be tight, physically).

Case taken down and checking clearance for a 120x3 radiator
havegoodaprep023fp2.jpg


May squeeze a 120mm radiator in the front. Perfect positioning and will cool the hard drive/cages as well.
havegoodaprep042tz7.jpg


Cut the floppy bays to make room for the hard drive cages being stacked.
havegoodaprep041wr4.jpg


Here you can see how the hard drive cages will be situated...
havegoodaprep056rp7.jpg


With radiator in place
havegoodaprep059yk6.jpg


Getting an idea of how much room we have to work with...
havegoodaprep045yc9.jpg


Slight problem...the 4870x2s are 1/8th" longer than we got...we'll find a way around that.
havegoodaprep054zq8.jpg


Rad grill by IandH on the top, looks good to me! I'll probably get one.
havegoodaprep047vl7.jpg


For those interested, this is how the hard drive cages will be attached to each other
havegoodaprep048wt9.jpg


havegoodaprep050zc6.jpg


That's all I've got for now. The case chassis is being powdercoated (you'll see ;)) on Monday, so that's exciting. Will update more as much as I can, I know everyone likes pretty pictures!

~Gooda~
 
I envy you Gooda. Watch me! In...erm...20 years I'll have an even BETTER and more EXPENSIVE computer than yours! MUAHAHAHAHA....that's pretty inevitable anyways seeing as technology is becoming more advanced. :)
 
God I hate you Gooda.

<3 If it makes you feel better, I won't have it for a few weeks at least.

I envy you Gooda. Watch me! In...erm...20 years I'll have an even BETTER and more EXPENSIVE computer than yours! MUAHAHAHAHA....that's pretty inevitable anyways seeing as technology is becoming more advanced. :)

Meh, most of the build is outdated already, lol. It's the best that I can get though without going up to the next tier of hardware (45nm CPU, DDR3 RAM, solid state drives, etc).

~Gooda~
 
Eh true but it's still somewhat top of the line. The water cooling system and case probably costs more than mine. :/
 
Eh true but it's still somewhat top of the line. The water cooling system and case probably costs more than mine. :/

The modding itself is probably more than the components... Power Coating down here costs like 300-400 bucks. Highend copper blocks tend to be expensive as well D:
 
Update!

Cut the hard drive cages down a bit so they can slide under the optical bays now...
havegoodarad005hc8.jpg


TONS of room for a rad and some 120x38mm fans.
havegoodarad017qe6.jpg


Temporary radiator shroud to see if it'll fit. May change color/material.
havegoodarad038kp8.jpg


havegoodarad040hy2.jpg


havegoodarad044hp2.jpg


havegoodarad050js1.jpg


Rad/cages/fan in place
havegoodarad054po4.jpg


Whole thing...
havegoodarad055qu3.jpg


Case gets powdercoated tomorrow. Can't wait to see how it turns out!

~Gooda~
 
;) I'm debating whether to buy all my hardware now and run it caseless on my desk until it gets here...but I probably wont.

~Gooda~
 
man, your basically living my dream right now. Good luck, and ill probably be looking back for more updates :D
 
;) I'm debating whether to buy all my hardware now and run it caseless on my desk until it gets here...but I probably wont.

~Gooda~

Just do we did for my brothers, build a test station out of wood. Or if you have time weld one. :O Takes like.... an hour to make it if you have the materials.
 
Just do we did for my brothers, build a test station out of wood. Or if you have time weld one. :O Takes like.... an hour to make it if you have the materials.

Which I dont :( I wish I did. I could just run it on my motherboard box, but meh. Then I'd have no place for my HTPC. I guess I'll just have to wait, unless my dad gets us a real TV to use as a display.

~Gooda~
 
Wow man. Having the "sample" CPU - elite. Damn sweet. Makes me wish there were some kind of a a clear heatsink to show that thing off. :P

But whats the performance gain for those 2 video cards? ;)

[edit - BTW - when I saw YOUR name on the "see my build" - I was looking froward to taking a look - I had a feeling it was going to be a wicked sweet build. :P ... yeah ... I should post the next system I'm building. lol. It's shameful. :D X2 5200+ with onboard video. lol. ]
 
Last edited:
Wow man. Having the "sample" CPU - elite. Damn sweet. Makes me wish there were some kind of a a clear heatsink to show that thing off. :P
Me too :(

But whats the performance gain for those 2 video cards? ;)
Like, 25%? :(

[edit - BTW - when I saw YOUR name on the "see my build" - I was looking froward to taking a look - I had a feeling it was going to be a wicked sweet build. :P ... yeah ... I should post the next system I'm building. lol. It's shameful. :D X2 5200+ with onboard video. lol. ]
If it works for you, then go for it! Not everyone needs/wants a rig like this...hell, I don't need it...I'm just doing it for teh lulz.

:) No updates yet...it's being powdercoated atm.

~Gooda~
 
ya cause thats a good question cause i wanna cut a hole in the top of mine for better air flow
 
No clue guys. I'm not doing the modding :( I don't have the skills or equipment. That's why I hired a guy to do it for me. He's famous on the OC forums.

I assume he used a dremel or a bansaw.

~Gooda~
 

Latest posts

Back
Top