Q6600 Oc

Foxhound

Famous
Joined
May 2, 2008
Messages
461
So I have an Intel Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz. I'm using the EVGA 750i FTW mobo.
My question is, how do I overclock? I get the basic gist of how to change settings, but how do you go about figuring out the proper voltages? I don't want to fry this thing. I want to get it to about 2.8 or 3 GHz. Can anyone offer some tips?
 
Foxhound its all about finding out the clock timings and voltages. Every chip is somewhat different settings wise. Find out the max voltages for your chip, and mobo North Bridge. Check out overclockers.com overclocking.net and so one. I went there to get some help. I still havent OCed my E8500 because I am really scared that I dont know what I am doing. Havagooda and Mr. Awesome will post here soon enough so listen to them too. they help out alot.
 
Most people say they can get 3Ghz with no voltage increase. I had to increase mine slightly to get it stable at 3Ghz. With the voltages as high as I felt I could safely push them, I got 3.4Ghz on air.

I'm not going to tell you the voltages because it was a while ago, and if I tell you the wrong ones by mistake... bad things happen. Look on overclocking forum for Q6600 voltage. Look around a bit though, as different sites have different views on it.
 
www.overclock.net

You'll find a lot of help there. Basic advice from me though, is don't go over 1.5v core voltage. That's the maximum recommended temp by Intel. Don't go above 71*c either.

I've never had an Nvidia board...damn things look too complicated when it comes to overclocking, granted, they don't look nearly as confusing as the new i7 boards.

~Gooda~
 
www.overclock.net

You'll find a lot of help there. Basic advice from me though, is don't go over 1.5v core voltage. That's the maximum recommended temp by Intel. Don't go above 71*c either.

I've never had an Nvidia board...damn things look too complicated when it comes to overclocking, granted, they don't look nearly as confusing as the new i7 boards.

~Gooda~

overclock.net looks like a great site but I just don't want to sign up do to the stupid rights thing where if you learn stuff there you cant make your own website later... :(
 
Well, here is one of my Q6600 ocing numbers
bus speed 293.1 x9 multiplier core voltage 1.28
should give you a 2.63 ghz, I know its not much but its a start.
 
Lol, since my PC has locked BIOS I had to overclock via pin mod. Got 3Ghz(1333 FSB) stable, by connecting two pins with conductive ink. I don't recommend it unless you work with circuitry a lot.
 
I just re-OC'd my Q6600 and I've got 3Ghz stable at 1.28V also.
 
...wat?

~Gooda~

Taken from the registration message:

You ARE NOT allowed to use Overclock.net to:

* Directly or indirectly profit from your relationship with the site and the people you meet here, now or in the future

If you do choose to use the site for any of the activities outlined within the Advertising/Promotion/Commercial Use section (directly above), YOU AGREE to the following:

* Every instance of breaking one of these rules outlined with the Advertising/Promotion/Commercial Use section constitutes you entering into an agreement with Overclock.net to pay for such initiatives at a cost of $500 per incidence. Overclock.net will pursue payment from the person posting the content in question to the fullest extent of the law.
 
* Directly or indirectly profit from your relationship with the site and the people you meet here, now or in the future

It means you can't jack logos and stuff, that doesn't mean you can't use the knowledge you gained from there. Now, if you took a guide from there and posted it on a website without citing the original author/site you took it from...you'd be screwed.

If you credit the site and author, you'll be fine.

~Gooda~
 

Latest posts

Back
Top