Buzzing noise from Speakers...

Omniblast

Poster
Joined
Sep 14, 2007
Messages
206
Hi gang,

Well I hope everyone had a festive holiday and there's still 1 more day of celebration to go (new years :D).

Anyways I've had this problem for a while, and I guess it's my fault for buying this product, but eversince I've had it, my speakers have been buzzing like crazy.

I have a Creative Inspire (I forgot which model, I'll update when I get home.)

I purchased a *gasp* Speedlink Medusa 5.1 Home Edition. (Yeah yeah you guys are gonna give me gripe about it, should have bought a Turtlebeach HPA2, would have been cheaper too. T_T.)

One of the main reasons why I got this was for the Amplifier box, where I can push a button and it can change from speakers to headphone or vice versa.
I wanted to beable to switch between the two quite easily without having to climb to the back of my rig and pull out cables and put it back in.

But I guess I paid the price of convience with having a buzzing sound in both the speakers and the headphone.

So I'm wondering what I should be doing to fix this issue. (besides throwing out the medusa...) (or have another suggestion for another type of amp box) My speakers never had this problem before, they were great, but I wanted something I could use at night without making too much noise and hear where people were at.

note: on the medusa website it says that it does have issues with any router being close to the amp box... I wonder...
 
Last edited:
Feedback in the wires. Means you have too much electrical interference. Or it can be it is burned.
 
It might be electrical interference, try moving your mobile away. I dunno thats what happens with me. What does it sound like? Lol
 
Electrical Interference is always a tough nut to fix cheaply.

Everything from Microwaves, Computers, CRT monitors, WIFI, Toaster Ovens, to doorbells can cause interference in some degree or another.

Is there anything electrical next to the speakers?
 
Buzzing is almost always from EMI. EMI doesnt always require it to be electrical. For this reason, if your speakers are high-powered, and they are too close to eachother, they can cause this. Also, anything electrical is true, but you should not be quick to rule out magnetism. It's not likely, but possible. Do you have any high-powered magnets, aside from what's within each speaker, near your sound system? Hanging on the wall? Have you also checked all of your digital connectors? Some times these connections can cause buzzing. Play around with them a bit and see what happens. This could be anything, but the large number of replies here are right. It's probably electrical, and it could even be the emission of EMI from your rig.

Regards,
Bulletsponge
 
I have exactly what Tasolth posted. I do not have any problems with my speakers/headset.
 
Ok, I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability...

It might be electrical interference, try moving your mobile away. I dunno thats what happens with me. What does it sound like? Lol

Are you talking about a mobile phone? Usually that is refered to I believe as GSM interference? Where the GSM signals interfer with the Speakers and cause a "GSM buzz". My phone is no where near my speakers, so that rules out that case, also EDGE caused that problem before, but now my phone is on 3G network, so there is no more of that type of buzz.

The buzzing is from the USB power.

The amp is plugged in via a ac adapter. It is not USB powered. Are you refering to the different types of the Speedlink Medusa that have the ones that you do plug into the USB for additional power to the AMP? I made sure I tried to get a non USB version as I have heard about issues with them plugging in and causing problems.

Electrical Interference is always a tough nut to fix cheaply.

Everything from Microwaves, Computers, CRT monitors, WIFI, Toaster Ovens, to doorbells can cause interference in some degree or another.

Is there anything electrical next to the speakers?

Hmm this is very interesting indeed. I do have a lot of electrical equipment next to the amp

The layout... I need to post a picture, but for now this is what it generally is pictured as.

Computer | Linksys 300N Router & Cable Modem (Router sits on top of the modem) | Speedlink AMP | APS Backup battery 1200 | Speaker (left) | Samsung LCD Monitor | Speaker (right)

That's what it looks like from my angle. I may have a lot of junk I need to move around if I want to try to eliminate this problem. *sigh*

Buzzing is almost always from EMI. EMI doesnt always require it to be electrical. For this reason, if your speakers are high-powered, and they are too close to eachother, they can cause this. Also, anything electrical is true, but you should not be quick to rule out magnetism. It's not likely, but possible. Do you have any high-powered magnets, aside from what's within each speaker, near your sound system? Hanging on the wall? Have you also checked all of your digital connectors? Some times these connections can cause buzzing. Play around with them a bit and see what happens. This could be anything, but the large number of replies here are right. It's probably electrical, and it could even be the emission of EMI from your rig.

Regards,
Bulletsponge

Aside from the speakers, nothing magnetic.

The buzzing sound is like a low bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and if I turn off the speakers, the sound goes away. I turn the speakers back on again, there is no buzzing sound for a few seconds, then it comes back again.


Thanks everyone for all your feedback. (no pun intended) I'll try moving some stuff around tonight and see if that solves it, also unplug the Medusa 5.1headphones. :(
 
I used to get that when i have 2 of my lights close together i had a red and green Sound acc lights near each other and i've got a loud noise in the speakers and headset
 
It could be a few things...

Messed up speakers
Magnets
Cellphone around?
Audio Card
 
What about other low frequency systems? Any CB, HAM, or baby-monitoring radios? Close to any highways? I know these questions seem strange, but the buzz you are hearing is actually a lot of noises that are outside of your speakers frequency range with some of the nearby spectrum that is within the range of playable sounds for your speakers. Identifying the source can take quite some time. The best recommendation I can make at this point would be noise cancelling headphones. The item that is causing EMI may be something totally out of your control. Best of luck trying to find it. I had the same problem on an old set of Compaq speakers. I simply replaced them with a somewhat nice gaming headset by Logitech and havent had any trouble since.

Other very common causes of this are problematic speaker wires, faulty connectors, or a poor quality sound card that is running a high-quality speaker system. The digital connectors on your speakers that connect to the sound card should have a minimum of two black rings on the pin connector. This should be unplugged, and reseated completely and snugly. You may also need to disconnect the speakers from the amp/bass unit if possible. Check the wires for being crossed. Ribbed/Red wires are positive and Black or smooth wires are negative. Also, despite popular belief God is actually a terrible conductor. If you are using gold connectors you should replace them with a better conductive material like silver, nickle, or copper. I hope some of this helps... Again, best of luck to you.
 
Last edited:
funny enough i've once nearly broke my head trying to find why my speakers made funny sounds - turns out my speaker cord was not all the way plugged into my sound card!
ps my dad has a router close to his speakers - he has no real problem.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top