Video Card cooling

yellowbadger52

Thread Junky
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
789
Ok so Ive been noticing my video card running hotter than i want it to. Idle its about 52C when the fan is blowing at 80%. Its quite loud and i was wondering if there were some really cheap/Free ways to fix this problem.

Would the heatsink off the gpu and applying some Artic Silver 5 help reduce my temperature at all?

Also im considering doing that Acrylic mod where you cut it to size and mount a fan on it to blow direct down on the back of you videocard. Anyone have any opinions/experience with this mod? I have some acrylic and a couple extra fans i could do this with.
 
What video card do you have?

I was having similar problems and I wound up having to get a new heatsink.
 
Im considering doing that. I already have 2 fans blowing across it.

Its a Asus EAH Radeon 4850. I cleaned it out quite well last night now its idling at about 48C with the fan at 60% but thats still a little warm for my like liking at idle.
 
I would buy a thermaltake vga cooler for it. Its worth it to spend 50 bucks for a cooler rather than spending 200 dollars for a new card. with the side panel off you are letting quite a bit of dust inside, and believe it or not, dust can cause parts to fail just like heat. Ive seen whole hard drives fail from dust suffocation.

-Blue
 
install riva tuner and turn the fan speed up to 80 percent all the time. When in game the gpu fans usually don't spin this fast even though they should.
 
I already did that and i dont like how loud they are.

p.s. you dont need rivatuner to do that with ati cards. Its in catylast control center.
 
Buy a Volcano II fan its is very quiet and runs in 2 stages. Check your video card fan if it has 1. Also buy a can of air and blow all the dust out of the fans and motherboard
 
Well I have an ASUS GeForce EN9600GSO and it isn't hot at all. I had it overclocked to 1100MHz Memory Clock and it has been running about 42-44 degrees Celsius.
 
Oh I forgot to mention that my card has a Glaciator Fansink to cool it down. Oops shouldn't post the other reply.
 
Well this is the second heat issue I've come across today :P

First recommendation: "Try cleaning the inside of it if it seems dusty and if that doesn't work, try to make sure all the cables are all nice and tidy because that will improve airflow and in theory should cool down your system!" (Quoted from my reply to XpliciT's thread)

If your system is quite old I would agree with your idea of reapplying the thermal paste. The older it is the more likely it has lost its conductivity, meaning that your component will not dissipate as much of its heat as a fresh coat would! :P

Also (may sound overly simple but I've seen people do it) don't put your Computer case near anything hot. Putting it next to a radiator wouldn't do any good for your heat issue ;)

Aarandorf
Already cleaned it out. it helped a little but its still hot under load, Its at 58C right now after folding for about 2 hours.

The cabling isnt reducing airflow. I did it myself.

My system isnt old but i was just considering doing it just to see what happens. I would really like it to be less the 50C after load if possible.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top