Is my HP laptop any good?

L1m!teD

Poster
Joined
Dec 31, 2008
Messages
197
Hi I have a HP Compaq nc8230 with 1GB DDR2 RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon x600 64MB graphics card, a Pentium M 2.13GHz processor and a 80GB hard disk. I bought it a year ago, it cost me about 1200 Euros and I was wondering if it's worth the money. What do you think?
 
I don't know what the exchange rate was a year ago, but today:
1,200 Euros = 1,621.08 U.S. dollars.

About two years ago, I got
1GB RAM
1.73GHz Intel Pentium-M
128MB ATI x600
60 GB HDD
15.4" @ 1680x1050 LCD.
6.6LBs (fairly light and thin)

for $1,300 USD. I've since updated to 2GB RAM and 120GB HDD.

So, to answer your question ("if it's worth the money"), probably not.
 
Plus this kind of laptop is rare in my country. It's a Business Compaq laptop that only some people have rarer laptops than this (Pavilion or EliteBook).
 
Europeans get hosed for Computer components. What I'm paying the equivelant of $1200, you guys pay no more than $1000.
 
I'm not being critical. You asked a question and I have a similar laptop and compared for you. If that's not what you wanted, I'm sorry. That's what it sounded like you wanted: to find out if you got a good deal ("worth the money") or not.

On the other hand, your post title is "Is my HP laptop any good?" So your post title and your post body don't exactly ask the same question.
 
I'm asking the both questions: Is my HP laptop model good and is it worth the money?

Europeans get hosed for Computer components. What I'm paying the equivelant of $1200, you guys pay no more than $1000.

Well buddy, Welcome to Macedonia. Come check out the prizes here. That'll change your mind.
 
I don't know what the exchange rate was a year ago, but today:
1,200 Euros = 1,621.08 U.S. dollars.

for USD $100 less I got a new HP pavillion laptop in April
2.1 GHz T8100 Core 2 Duo
3GB RAM
2X120GB 7200RPM HDD
17 inch screen
NVidia Geforce 8600M GS 512 MB dedicated mobile video card
fingerprint scanner
 
Price doesn't matter on how good it is. To a point, yes it does, but prebuilt computers, especially laptops, run for about $500+ over what they would if you build them.
I would say it is a decent laptop, but most likely[/b] not as good as an Uberclok Fury, or something on that kind of line. You could play games on it, probably with minimal lag, of course if your ISP is any good.

Although, you should get another ram stick :P
 
well it was good,about a year 0r 2 ago.1 gig of ram if that has vista on it all that rams being used leaving none for games..and for games 64 mb ,you wont be playing any new games on it.
It dont have shader model 3.0..
but if it does what u want it too,do you feel you got your $$$ worth?
 
But I'm not using this laptop for games. I have a PC to play games on: AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 2.21GHz, 2GB DDR1, ABIT Fatal1ty AN8 Motherboard, 320GB SATA-2 7200rpm Western Digital Hard Disk, ASUS nVidia GeForce EN9600GSO 384MB DDR3. I'm using this laptop for smaller games and for school projects and stuff. Plus it has licensed XP that comes with the laptop. But I was thinking of getting a new laptop with the money I'm saving : HP Compaq 6820s 2GB DDR2 RAM, GeForce 8600GS graphics card I think, Intel Core2Duo 2.6GHz, 160GB hard drive, 17 inch screen and for about $650-$700. Although it's stronger, I think that this series of laptops is kinda better working than them.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top