What Kind of Processor do you run?

Dweeb

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Sep 15, 2008
Messages
2,314
I have 2 gaming systems and I am looking to build a new one.
The reason is im going to give my current Quad-Core 9550 AMD system to a family that lives locally in the area to have something for their young teen something to play games on with us here at eGO. As well as home work (Yuck).

Which is the better Quad Core processor AMD or Pentium? Please explain why.
Thanks everyone see you in game.
Regards Dweeb.
​
 
Very cool of you to give away a box.

I prefer Intel CPUs. They tend to have a lower power consumption than their AMD counterparts. The new Intel i7 chip is very efficient in this category.

With respect to gaming, the Intel Q9xxx and i7 series outperforms (framerate-wise) AMD's latest offering, Phenom II. Though the Phenom II is cheaper than the i7. I don't recall what Q9xxx cost right now.

Checkout a review of AMD's Phenom II, which includes comparisons to Intel chips: http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3492&p=1
 
I prefer intel for two reasons, no make that three.

1:AMD is behind in technology almost an entire year
2:you cant overclock an AMD for crap
3:Intel and AMD do slightly different computations, and from these differences intel is better for gaming and amd is better for workstation computers.

If you plan on gaming i recommend intel.

-Blue
 
I prefer intel for two reasons, no make that three.

1:AMD is behind in technology almost an entire year
2:you cant overclock an AMD for crap
3:Intel and AMD do slightly different computations, and from these differences intel is better for gaming and amd is better for workstation computers.

If you plan on gaming i recommend intel.

-Blue
amd behind maybe cause they came out almost 3 years after intel.
amd dont overclock huh..thats a good 1.overclocking depends on cooling,if you cant keep it cool dont do it.
i have my amd very well overclocked.from a 2.3 to 2.95 on air.A Phenom II X4 managed 4GHz with air-cooling, 4.4GHz with a refrigerated setup, and finally a "stable" 5GHz on liquid nitrogen.
 
Last edited:
It all depends upon how much money you are willing to put into your new cpu. AMD is behind in technology, but is slightly cheaper than Intel.
 
I've got a AMD Athlon 64 processor 3200+
2.04 GHz,2.00GB of RAM
 
I have an Intel Q6600, but I'm probably going to be going to Ci7 soon, and transferring my current rig at least partially into my HTPC.
 
I prefer intel for two reasons, no make that three.

1:AMD is behind in technology almost an entire year
2:you cant overclock an AMD for crap
3:Intel and AMD do slightly different computations, and from these differences intel is better for gaming and amd is better for workstation computers.

If you plan on gaming i recommend intel.

-Blue

Curious, how is an AMD chip better for workstations? Most of the Intel Qxxxx series score better on the Sysmark2007 benchmark than AMD's latest Phenom II offering.

Also, AMD's technology is behind with respect to performance. Intel's i7 architecture is very similar to AMD's Phenom architecture (N cores each with it's own L2 cache). The Phenom was released first, but the i7 blows it away in performance tests.
 
I have an AMD 6000+ and am quite happy with it. Sure it's been out done by Intel, but I can still play Crysis on high...so I'm still good.
 
I do run AMD and Penn game systems .. i do find the Penn tends to be a bit quicker and really the penn dont really cost that much more. prices that i found anyway..
 
Intel Xenon X3350 Wolfdale quad-core

its a pretty BA processor and was out before the q9405 and its the same processor except runs on lower voltage
 
Intel Xenon Processors was built to be BA. LOL .. And they do live up to it. they run! NIce idea Duality you have given me.
 
all i can say is its all about the phenom II , and btw guys im pout benchmarking the 17 extremes
 
I have an Intel Q6600, but I'm probably going to be going to Ci7 soon, and transferring my current rig at least partially into my HTPC.

You sir, are what the world need to get out of the finacial crysis.

On topic. I suggest you take a look at a CPU chart at toms hardware, compare prices and performance.
 
I got an Intel Core i7, I could've wait for the Phenom II. But I prefer intel, because it's more stable, uses less power and doesn't get as hot. The new Phenom II are already proven to be excellent overclockers but I stick with Intel :)
 
I am running the AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition, it benchmarks high compared to intels processor equivalents and is much cheaper.

Personally the new i7 series of intel processors are my favorite and will probably be upgrading to those or waiting for the AMD equivalnts in the next year since it seems they are always about a year behind but are much cheaper and still get a bang for you buck.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top