Monitor goes blank after a few min in some games

mrcool

EGO Addict
Joined
Nov 14, 2008
Messages
1,283
Ok, folks, hang in there. My computer is about 6 months old, and I've been having this problem since week 1. I've posted this to the AMD forums but no one's been able to come up with anything really solid except maybe my PSU is not powerful enough.

Here's the quick system specs. Each item links to Newegg for the nitty-gritty info if needed.

Antec Sonata III 500 case w/500W PSU
Asus P5K Pro board

Intel E8400 3.0 GHz Wolfdale CPU
2 GB Kingston DDR2 1066/ PC2 8500
Sapphire ATI Radeon 4850 PCI-x card

XP Home SP3

So, here's what has happens. I'm playing a game (list to follow.) After a few minutes it crashes. By crashes I mean the monitor goes blank, the monitor power switches from green to blinking amber, which is what it would be if the PC were off, but the PC is still on. Sometimes the sound goes on for a bit, sometimes it loops a short clip. I hit the reset button to reboot.

I've checked the temps after boot and everything seems decent enough. I know the 4850 runs hot, I have a slot fan next to it and 1x80MM fan, both blowing out.

Games that have crashed:
HL2 - tons of times. I've stopped playing it.
Portal - once. The one time Portal crashed is when I put it at the same res as HL2 - 1280x1024, which the monitor supports cause that's what I run TF2 at.
Bioshock - several times, all within 10 minutes into the game.
Max Payne 2. I tried it just to run an old game. It crashed waaay before anything should have gotten overloaded/hot enough. It crashed on the opening movie, when you're in the hospital.

Games that have not crashed
TF2 - this is the game I've played the most, by far. It might have crashed ONCE, but I don't remember.
Crysis Demo. I've played maybe an hour. No crashes.

I do not have the latest BIOS, but I have updated several times. I have also been through every Catalyst version from 8.8 to 8.12, so don't tell me to update my graphics drivers, please.

I am not OCing anything. I tried setting the RAM timing to what Newegg says it's supposed to be, but after a couple boots, the BIOS gave me a "OC failed" type error and it reverted back to "auto RAM timing" and I've left it there ever since.

I have also had a very odd problem on boot. Sometimes the Window screen will freeze and go dim. If you notice, it kinda fades in (brightens) on boot. Sometimes it freezes before fading in all the way, sometimes it takes 3-5 seconds for it to fade in (brighten) all the way. Sometimes I have to reboot because it just freezes on the Windows screen. I've tried logging boot but I think it crashes before anything is written to the log file.

Anyway, I think I'm going to go pick up a new, more powerful PSU tomorrow, just because I don't really know what else to try. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, I know the Amps on the 12V rail is important, I looked at my PSU, I believe I have 22A on the 12V, I'll double check, but it's not what it says on the AMD forums. That was from the Antec site, but the PSU in my case is actually different.

I've ran Memtest and the Furmark w/o any problems.
 
Just for kicks, I fired up Bioshock after posting this. Crashed 2 minutes in - which makes it hard for me to believe it's a PSU issue.
 
Ok, if you don't want to read all that: I did RMA my card and I'm waiting to get it back.
Can someone at least tell me if they're running a dual core Intel Wolfdale 8400 3.0GHz with an ATI4850 and 500W PSU with 22A on 12V rail? (Or at least something similar.) I'm still not sure if the problem I had was the video or the PSU or maybe even the motherboard... or something else... :-/

Any info would be awesome. Thanks!
 
Hey, I've been off the servers for almost 3 weeks now. I sent my video card back to Newegg and got a replacement today! Yays! I celebrated the moment by buying a 24" monitor. Should be an awesome weekend!

Thanks to those who gave input in the shoutbox. I hope my issues are over. :D
 
well have you tried setting the games to the same resolution as your desktop? and according to site a 450 watt supply is needed,but your supply is only 17 amps,and the site says nothing about amps,but I can say it needs 28 amps,you can get buy on a good 22 amps..
 
Hey, I've been off the servers for almost 3 weeks now. I sent my video card back to Newegg and got a replacement today! Yays! I celebrated the moment by buying a 24" monitor. Should be an awesome weekend!

Thanks to those who gave input in the shoutbox. I hope my issues are over. :D

Did the new card fix it? Keep me up to date! :D
 
if you are worried about your power supply it should handle all that fine. I ran a Q6600 quad core and a 4870X2 on a 600 watt, ran it for a couple days on a 350 before that. There should be plenty of power.

I think its an overheating problem.

-Blue
 
Did the new card fix it? Keep me up to date! :D

Well I installed the card and the drivers and immediately fired up Bioshock. I had a game saved right before a part when the old card would crash pretty much every time. I cranked up the settings and it ran through it just fine. However, I won't be fully convinced until I go about a month without crashes. Considering also that I have two jobs now, I might not get to "thoroughly" test it until Saturday.


well have you tried setting the games to the same resolution as your desktop? and according to site a 450 watt supply is needed,but your supply is only 17 amps,and the site says nothing about amps,but I can say it needs 28 amps,you can get buy on a good 22 amps..

Yes, I have. 1280x1024 was the crashing point. ;) As for all that other stuff, if this doesn't fix it, the PSU is next on the list. (holds breath and hopes for the best)

if you are worried about your power supply it should handle all that fine. I ran a Q6600 quad core and a 4870X2 on a 600 watt, ran it for a couple days on a 350 before that. There should be plenty of power.

I think its an overheating problem.

-Blue

Thanks for the power info. I had a 2 slot fan sitting next to the card. These newer cards have bigger fans now, so I can't fit the 2 slot fan next to the card. I could slide it down away from the card. I probably will, since I bought the 2 slot fan, might as well use it.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top