Folding at home

Well I can get both to run at the same time for me. I think the cpu one generates more ppd if you have it overclocked. I usually just gpu fold at the moment because i can still do homework, listen to music, etc. without much of a hiccup. if you have a pc your folding 24/7 and wanna get the most ppd. cpu folding is the way to go unless you have nvidia cards. the nvidia cards fold a lot better than radeons from what i have heard.
 
if you have a pc your folding 24/7 and wanna get the most ppd.

Will the folding still take a backseat to other applications like TF2? I like how if my system needs the resources, Folding@Home will back off until those resources are available again.
 
F@H takes a backseat to EVERYTHING, it's by default set to idle priority. you run notepad... it'll take away from F@H lol...

that's why they push the fact that everyone should run it because it won't slow down your system
 
GPU folding on a decent card way outperforms ppd of a cpu. You must however pause or close it while playing tf2 or you WILL slow down.
 
So I can't run the GPU and CPU at the same time... I'm trying to figure out which would be faster. Any suggestions? I have a 4850

Depending on what your gpu is, you could probably run gpu folding and a non-smp cpu folding client for optimal ppd.

My rig keeps my room warm--it's my heater this winter.
 
on weekends i do cpu and gpu folding while i go home. I dont really know how many ppd i get. I cant fold at night cuz my gpu fan is too loud and keeps me awake.
 
on weekends i do cpu and gpu folding while i go home. I dont really know how many ppd i get. I cant fold at night cuz my gpu fan is too loud and keeps me awake.

There is a program called FAHMon, if you read about it in the FAQ's on the distributed computer section of the hardforums it's not hard to setup. It will show you your real time ppd, and keeps track of multiple folding@home copies at once. You can also rig it up to keep track of multiple computers.
 
on weekends i do cpu and gpu folding while i go home. I dont really know how many ppd i get. I cant fold at night cuz my gpu fan is too loud and keeps me awake.

What card are you using? I know that I cleaned the stock heatsink and fan on my 4850 and it cools much better now. I get optimal load temps at 45% fan and overclocked a little.
 
I've just started to run F@H again. I'm running it on my PS3 and my PC. :D A folding team would be great!
 
What card are you using? I know that I cleaned the stock heatsink and fan on my 4850 and it cools much better now. I get optimal load temps at 45% fan and overclocked a little.

I have an Asus EAH4850. I cleaned mine out and it runs cooler now but i still gotta keep the fan at 100% to keep my temps below 70C. I dont know if thats too hot or not but i would much prefer for my temps to be lower.
 
I have an Asus EAH4850. I cleaned mine out and it runs cooler now but i still gotta keep the fan at 100% to keep my temps below 70C. I dont know if thats too hot or not but i would much prefer for my temps to be lower.

I have the exact same card. The ATI cards are good up until around 100 C or so. The ceiling is 120 C. If you want a good compromise, run it at 50% fan speed and you should get temps around 80 C. It's about what I'm getting, but your case is undoubtedly different.

Also, when you clean the card out, be sure to remove it from the motherboard first. You need a good angle on it. Get a can of air that has one of the plastic tubes that fit into the nozzle and shove it way up inside the heatsink. I tried just blowing mine out once and it didn't do any good. I shoved the nozzle way up in there and blew... a carpet came out. So clean it good.


P.S. I know you put me on that list of prospected Folders to join a eGO group, but I'm already in a group with BlackMesaSouth. We're sort of competing... you're welcome to join. Look us up, we're the Doom Train.
 
I have an Asus EAH4850. I cleaned mine out and it runs cooler now but i still gotta keep the fan at 100% to keep my temps below 70C. I dont know if thats too hot or not but i would much prefer for my temps to be lower.

thats HOT
 
well i know its hot. but ive seen ones where it ran up to 104C. so i figure running at 68C isnt too bad. I plan on upgrading my cpu cooler in a month or 2 depending on when i get the money to do it.
 

Similar threads

Latest posts

Back
Top