Update: AMD vs. Nvidia

Uhh...MSI is just a third party manufacturer. ATI and NVIDIA are the main guys here. ;)

lulz crusader read the thread buddy, i was quoting bboy when he was listing his favorite third party manufacturers such as vision tek, asus, evga, etc.

-Blue
 
GTX 295.

end of conversation

if you are going to contribute to threads in the tech forum please include evidence or at least an explination for your views, otherwise youre not going to be paid any attention.

-Blue
 
I have to say that that both cards are good, but personally, I always hear about "microstuttering" on dual-card solutions, and people that use them usually go back to a single card solution after a certain time.

Has anyone experienced this anomaly?
 
I have to say that that both cards are good, but personally, I always hear about "microstuttering" on dual-card solutions, and people that use them usually go back to a single card solution after a certain time.

Has anyone experienced this anomaly?

I have not experienced that during the 3 months ive had my 4870X2. Probably because it is only one card. The crossfire works across one card and does not go through the mobo. It all happens on a single card.

-Blue
 
Granted I did not give much of an opinion before..... so I will give mine right now.

Personally, at this moment I have to go with Nvidia. But even that is a tough choice cause in terms of power for price, ATI wins right now.

The reason I go with Nvidia right now is because Nvidia has the fastest card on the market, the GTX 280, or now the recently released GTX 285.

BEFORE you jump all over me, let me explain why i say that. Sure, the 4870x2 is faster and sure the GTX 295 is faster. BUT, both of those are dual GPU solutions, and therefore that means you will be running in either crossfire or SLI.... its just the way it works with more than one GPU. As a single GPU chip, the GTX 280 and 285 cant be beat.

Before you guys go thinking I am an Nvidia fanboy.... I am definitely NOT. In fact, I have pretty much switched back and forth between the two quite often. Going Back, I had a geforce 2, then maybe a geforce 4, before getting an ATI 9600XT, then an Nvidia 6800, then I came back to ATI with the X1950, and finally again with ATI with Two 4850's running in crossfire before settling on the GTX 280. In fact, the 4850's were in my current build for 4 months before replacing them, and only then because of crossfire issues. I personally am soured on multi GPU solutions and I dont feel the technology is really quite mature enough yet, so I switched back to Nvidia because for single GPU, they cant be beat right now. I did experience the microstutter as well as rediculous driver issues related to using more than one card.

Again, the issue comes down to price vs performance, and while Nvidia held the lead for a while, ATI seems to have it now.

So my final answer is still neither is better, each has their pluses and each has their minuses. THE END.
 
Neither brand is better; they're always constantly leapfrogging each other with new products to the point where taking a side in brands is just ridiculous. The only quality I look for is the "Make me happy" quality.
 
Neither brand is better; they're always constantly leapfrogging each other with new products to the point where taking a side in brands is just ridiculous. The only quality I look for is the "Make me happy" quality.

So true. If a video card does what you need it to do, then why do you need anything more? ;)
 
You need to look at the past... same thing is currently going on.
Nvidia has usually been the more expensive and more powerful card, and the company tends to be on top for a very long time before ATI gets ahead. Look at how long Nvidia dominated the market before the 3850s/70s came into play. It's almost like Nvidia lets ATI get ahead to stay away from anti-monopoly suits...
But whatever the case, why are there "fanboys" of card manufacturers? That seems very silly to me, if the other manufacturer creates a powerful and cheap card, are you going to not use it because you're too in love with a company? A company is a company, it wants your money, so you may as well go for the better product.
Ending rant with: be open minded :D
 
nvidia has linux drivers :. nvidia = win.

http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML

Notice the Linux option? Yea, you missed that.

True, Nvidia almost always has the best single-GPU solution, but it costs more than a sane person would normally pay. ATI wins in that department, and they're not too far behind Nvidia in performance.

Oh, and FYI, the 4870x2 and GTX295 and on par with each other. It depends on the game, but generally the 4870x2 comes out on top with high resolutions. Don't get on your high horse just because Nvidia released a new card.

~Gooda~
 
Last edited:
http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.HTML

Notice the Linux option? Yea, you missed that.

True, Nvidia almost always has the best single-GPU solution, but it costs more than a sane person would normally pay. ATI wins in that department, and they're not too far behind Nvidia in performance.

Oh, and FYI, the 4870x2 and GTX295 and on par with each other. It depends on the game, but generally the 4870x2 comes out on top with high resolutions. Don't get on your high horse just because Nvidia released a new card.

~Gooda~

Couldn't have said it better myself.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top