Players Guide / Basic Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
239
* Note:

Some sections of this guide are eGO specific since the specific manner that eGO servers are set up affect game play. i.e.: Friendly fire off, Medic enabled.

Hence, none of this guide has been sanctioned by eGO. Once I'm finished with the project I will submit it to eGO council and they can decide what to do with it.

All content is in draft form.

_______________________________________________________________


Here is a section to help players get their game set up prior to logging into a server. Brightness, crosshairs, basic console, keyboard setup.

I WOULD LIKE TO GET YOUR KEYBOARD SETUPS

It would be great to see how other folks set up they keyboard.

Heres the download, feedback welcome:

http://www.2shared.com/file/4742450/e755195e/BASIC_SETUP.html
 
I use the following:
(W) Prone (R) reload, (T) tracespray

(A) Strafe Left, (S) Duck, (D) Jump, (F) Strafe Right

(Z) Medic, (C) Rush, (V) Back

(SpaceBar) Forward

I hate the wasd setup and I find this more natural.
 
I use the following:
(W) Prone (R) reload, (T) tracespray

(A) Strafe Left, (S) Duck, (D) Jump, (F) Strafe Right

(Z) Medic, (C) Rush, (V) Back

(SpaceBar) Forward

I hate the wasd setup and I find this more natural.

Thanks for sharing that, I found it extremely interesting lol, I tried to imagine playing with those keys but it was like trying to shave in a mirror, with my left hand. Neat to see what works for other people though, as I said in the guide, there is no wrong or right. ;).
 
Copy / Pasted Basic Setup Guide

It's only a rough draft so don't flame me, but let me know if there are things I'm missing that you'd like to add.


2.0 BASIC SETUP

This section will help you get everything set up prior to logging into a server. Assuming you already have a DoD (Day of Defeat) ready computer, spend some time playing with the user settings. Some items you may want to adjust are:
? Brightness: Having this setting too dark is the main concern here. There are a lot of dark places for the enemy to hide, making them darker doesn?t help your chances. Find an area of the map that is dark and adjust the levels to suit. I usually set my darkness just below the point that it starts washing out the screen.
? Crosshair: Choosing a crosshair style and color matters also. Find a combination that works for you. I prefer a single dot in either red or bright green.
? Keyboard Commands: There is no right or wrong way to set up your keyboard but how you set it up will have a huge impact on how effective you are in the game. Play with the commands in different configurations until you find one that works for you.



? Here is how my keys are currently configured:

E - Forward A - Cycle Weapons
D - Backward Q - Use Item / Action
S - Strafe Left Alt - Call for medic
F- Strafe Right R - Reload Weapon
T - Drop Weapon Caps Lock - Sprint G - Prone / Crawl Shift - Crouch
H - Drop Ammo Space Bar - Jump

~ - (Tilde) Open Console

Whatever you do, group crucial commands together so that you can access them with one hand, without removing your hand from the home (movement) keys. Let?s define what each of these keyboard commands are, what they do and why they?re important.

Forward/backward - Moves player back and forth

Strafe Left/right - Moves player left and right (allows you to face one direction while moving/firing left and right.)

Sprint - Allows you to run. A fatigue meter at bottom of screen shows how tired you are. The lower the bar, the slower you move. Certain activities affect the meter such as sprinting and firing an undeployed Machine Gun.

Crouch - Allows you to duck. Useful for hiding from enemy. Allows higher accuracy with weapons. Slowly creep around corners.

Jump - Allows you to jump. Leap over obstacles and on top of objects. Push Crouch button simultaneously while jumping to leap onto objects that can?t be reached by jumping alone.

Cycle Weapons - Cycles between weapons. Push repeatedly to cycle between primary and secondary weapons. e.g.: BAR, Colt pistol, Grenades, Knife, etc.

Use Item / Action - Performs actions / manipulates objects. Used for planting / diffusing bombs, move certain objects, pick up a dropped/thrown grenade, etc.

Call for Medic - eGO servers have added the medic mod. When low in health (health bar red, hit points around 23) you can restore partial health by calling for a medic. Medic is limited to three per life. Type: Y !Medic to receive treatment.

Reload Weapon - Reloads weapon

Drop Weapon - Drops primary weapon. Sometimes you find a gun laying around that you like better than your own, or your weapon runs out of ammo and you need to scavenge another, use the drop weapon command to take advantage of the replacement weapon.

Prone / Crawl - Makes player lay down. Hide from enemies & improve accuracy.

Drop Ammo - Drops a box of ammo for a teammate. Note, you cannot give yourself extra ammo.

~ (Tilde) - Opens console: First you need to enable console in your options menu, the same menu you switched your Crosshair. Once open, console will show you game related information as far as a log and history of what is happening in the game. There is also a command bar at the bottom. Here you can enter commands, however very few console commands
are turned on or allowed. Here are a few you can try.

Kill - Sometimes a player can get stuck in an object or unable to move. By typing ?kill?, your player commits suicide. Note that this counts as a death.

Net_graph 1 (2) (3) - Shows your current framerate and other misc. data.

Bind - One of the most important keys, allows you to attach multiple commands to a single key. For example, instead of typing ?y? ?!Medic?, you can type in console: bind ?alt? ?say !Medic?. Now when you hit the alt key,
your player will scream !Medic.
 
i would recommend teaching new players the basic wasd keys, as they may be familiar with that set up from previous games
 
I'll post mine because it is unusual. It has some disadvantages, for example since I use Shift to go forward, I can't hit Tab to check the scores because it will shift-Tab and bring up the Steam GUI overlay. I haven't played DOD yet but here's what I use for Insurgency and most other FPS's, which has most of the same commands:

Back: Ctrl (pinky)
Forward: Shift (ring)
Left: A (middle)
Right: S (index)
Run: Alt (thumb)
Jump: Space (thumb)

Everything else: default
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top