Fallout 3 Crashing

WaterSnake

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 16, 2008
Messages
2,158
Well, I haven't played Fallout 3 for a while (about a month and a half) and I decided to fire it up again (for old times sake) and after about a half an hour of playing, I got a BSOD. Nothing bad, I though, it must have been a coincidence. I mean, windows machines do that every so often. So, I fire up F3 (what I will be calling fallout 3 from now on, because I'm lazy) again and after playing for about a half an hour again, it crashes to desktop. Coincidence again, I say, and fire it up again, and the same thing happens. Crash after a small while. It changes, from 10 minutes, to 5, to an hour, but the same result is always a crash. I tried turning anti-aliasing off, but that hasn't worked either. There's some stuff on the web about resetting codecs, but that seems kinda risky and I don't really wanna try that out. Please, if anyone knows a simple or safe fix for this, please tell me.


EDIT: The ForceWare 182.05 beta nvidea drivers fixed it, and my Left 4 Dead problem. All better!!!!
 
Last edited:
What is the grapic setting you have it on? "Low"MEIDIUM" "High" "ULTRA"?
 
update video drivers. if that doesnt help id say its an overheating problem.

-Blue
 
Ok, so I'll try and reinstall. Knowing how steam doesn't delete the files when you delete all local content, should I try and delete the fallout 3 folder so I can get a fresh re-download and install?


My setting is also on ultra high I believe, I'll try changing that (but I love my good graphics. I didn't spend $250 on a graphics card to play games on MEDIUM.
 
What video card do you have? There's a known bug for some nvidia cards on the newest drivers that causes Fallout 3 to crash. The only solution I know of is actually reverting the video drivers to older ones.
 
What video card do you have? There's a known bug for some nvidia cards on the newest drivers that causes Fallout 3 to crash. The only solution I know of is actually reverting the video drivers to older ones.

Reverting to previous drivers? Ew, sketchy. Well, I have a Nvidea 8800 GT.
 
Reverting to previous drivers? Ew, sketchy. Well, I have a Nvidea 8800 GT.

Yep. I think the problem pertains specifically to the G92 nvidia cards which includes the 8800 GT, 8800 GTS 512, 9800 GT, and the 9800 GTX/GTX+.

If you uninstall the video drivers and install some older ones, it should solve your problem. It's the same way for Mass Effect as well.
 
But won't that create other problems with other games?

It depends on what games you play. If you only play TF2 and Fallout 3, I doubt it will create problems. most of the time, new drivers are released to include new GPU's and fix minor problems in some games. It really doesn't affect many games at all.
 
It depends on what games you play. If you only play TF2 and Fallout 3, I doubt it will create problems. most of the time, new drivers are released to include new GPU's and fix minor problems in some games. It really doesn't affect many games at all.

Ok. And where would I go to get this old driver?
 
The problem is I don't know what driver I have now, so I really can't work backwards. Where could I find my current driver info?
 
ok if you dont know what driver you have now it means you might not have the latest. DOWNLOAD THE LATEST DRIVER.

first, unistall your current driver.

then, install the most current driver.

if that doesnt work, back track to the previus driver before the most current one.

if it still doesnt work could be overheating like a said. could be a registry problem, which in that case the best thing to do is download and run a program called "ccleaner"

-Blue
 
ok if you dont know what driver you have now it means you might not have the latest. DOWNLOAD THE LATEST DRIVER.

first, unistall your current driver.

then, install the most current driver.

if that doesnt work, back track to the previus driver before the most current one.

if it still doesnt work could be overheating like a said. could be a registry problem, which in that case the best thing to do is download and run a program called "ccleaner"

-Blue

Alright, I got the latest one. I'll get ccleaner if that doesn't work...
 
reinstall the game other then the programs folder, for some reason it causes problems if you do.

It has happened to me and when I did that it fixed it, but others it did'nt work. :/

wroth a try mabey?
 
reinstall the game other then the programs folder, for some reason it causes problems if you do.

It has happened to me and when I did that it fixed it, but others it did'nt work. :/

wroth a try mabey?

It isn't installed in a programs folder, well, not in the official one. It's installed on another drive (an E: drive).
 
Can you take a screen shot of your settings and post it here? Also whens the last time you defragmented your harddrives?
 

Latest posts

Back
Top