Monitor Issue - Can't Play :(

A Nurse from Texas

Forum Fiend
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
721
Ok. I screwed up. My LCD went out this morning. Borrowed a friends LCD which is larger than mine. When I hooked it up, everything looked fine, but I got greedy and wanted to increase my resolution since it's a larger monitor. The monitor then said no signal and went to sleep. I do not have access to any other monitors to try, and it's my gaming rig. I can't play, wahhhh, and I wanna get scout achievements :(

I've tried lowering the resolution blindly by copying keyboard shortcuts (I'm on my Vista laptop). So far, nothing. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly. Maybe it's not the right way.

I've rebooted a few times, hoping to somehow get into safe mode. Not getting a signal at anytime during bootup.

Video card: GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
MB: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3
OS: Vista 64 bit

Any ideas?
 
Also, I'm on newegg looking at monitors. Most of them I like are HDTV. Will that work with a non-hdmi video card/setup?
 
Last edited:
Which monitors are you looking at? There are HDMI -> DVI adapters but I believe most monitors that have HDMI ports should also have DVI ports.
 
This is a simple case of selecting a resolution that is "out of range" of the monitor... easiest solution would be to borrow a CRT (they are less finicky) and reset the resolution that way. Do a google search for the LCD you are using and find its native resolution and set the card to that.
 
I have a CRT. Found a DVI/Analog adapter. Will try the CRT now and let you guys know. I hope it works. Thank you, IDO!
 
It worked. Changed resolution via CRT. Now have LCD hooked up and working great. Bet I check recommended resolution in the future. :o

Thanks again!
 
NP... I freaked out the first time I screwed up my resolution on my LCD... but I just waited those 10 seconds for it to go back... ;)
 
By the way, DVI-D is a digital signal. I'm 99.99999% sure it'll work great on your video card. A good way to tell is to look on your video card, and find a DVI port. On the side with the flat bar, are there four pins around it? If so, you have digital.

I don't know if they even make analog DVI devices... it's all pretty much digital.
 
If only it had been that simple. I waited many many seconds. I'm just happy that it worked.

NP... I freaked out the first time I screwed up my resolution on my LCD... but I just waited those 10 seconds for it to go back... ;)

Thank you, xenophek. :) I'm going to read up on all of that.

By the way, DVI-D is a digital signal. I'm 99.99999% sure it'll work great on your video card. A good way to tell is to look on your video card, and find a DVI port. On the side with the flat bar, are there four pins around it? If so, you have digital.

I don't know if they even make analog DVI devices... it's all pretty much digital.
 
hey nurse from texas, congrats on gettin ur monitor back, now get in tf2 so u can heal ur fellow eGO members!!
 
Alright for future refrence on boot up, before the vista loading bar but after your computer posts hit F8 a few times and go into either safe mode or vedio mode, hey presto its set to either 800x680 or 640x400 either way works, and it saves all the fuss.
 
Ok. I screwed up. My LCD went out this morning. Borrowed a friends LCD which is larger than mine. When I hooked it up, everything looked fine, but I got greedy and wanted to increase my resolution since it's a larger monitor. The monitor then said no signal and went to sleep. I do not have access to any other monitors to try, and it's my gaming rig. I can't play, wahhhh, and I wanna get scout achievements :(

I've tried lowering the resolution blindly by copying keyboard shortcuts (I'm on my Vista laptop). So far, nothing. Maybe I'm not doing it correctly. Maybe it's not the right way.

I've rebooted a few times, hoping to somehow get into safe mode. Not getting a signal at anytime during bootup.

Video card: GeForce 8800GTS 512MB
MB: GIGABYTE GA-MA770-DS3
OS: Vista 64 bit

Any ideas?


i'm sorry, but can't you load safe mode or something and fiddle with the settings there? control panel > monitor? or maybe go to setup by pressing F2 at load-up?
 
Thank you for your help, Crawlerz, but if you'll read the entire thread, you'll find that I said I couldn't get into safemode and that the problem has been fixed. :)

i'm sorry, but can't you load safe mode or something and fiddle with the settings there? control panel > monitor? or maybe go to setup by pressing F2 at load-up?
 
Back
Top