PCIe x16 vs. PCIe x16 2.0

bobtheworm

Active Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2008
Messages
402
I was to get a video card. I currently have a Gforce 8600 gt with 256 mb ddr3. My computer is a dell board and only has a PCIe x16 1.0 slot on it. I know I can put a PCIe x16 2.0 card in the slot but will there be any improvement? If there is an improvement, is there a point where I wont see improvement. Can I go out and get a 400 dollar card and get a large percentage jump in preformance over my current card.

Any educated thoughts on this would be appreciated.
 
Are you sure that it is a 1.0 slot and not a 1.1 slot?

If it's a 1.1 there will likely be no bottlenecking, but if it's 1.0 then there will be, but I don't know how much as I never owned a mobo with PCIe x 16 1.0, I went straight from AGP to PCIe x 16 1.1.
 
Well it all depends on what card you are thinking about getting. Most cards out there today don't even use all of PCI-Ex16 1.0/1.1's bandwidth. So if you could give a possible list of cards you are thinking about getting, then we can see.
 
PCI-E 1.1 is a minor revision of the PCI-E 1.0 specification and offers no bandwidth improvement. Performance differences between cards in a 1.0/1.1 slot versus a 2.0 slot are negligible even on very high end cards.
 
as long as you stick to a single gpu card [as wal-mart said] you probably won't need a 2.0 slot to get the most use out of the card. the main thing to do it make sure your PS has enough juice to cover your new card. If you'll post your current specs & which cards you're thinking about we could provide better, more specific advice.
 
This is my system..

Inspiron 530
Intel Pentium Dual Core processor E2180 (2.00GHz,800FSB)
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
Dell USB Keyboard
Dell Optical USB Mouse
22 in (22 in viewable) E228WFPWide Aspect Digital Flat Panel
256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT- DDR3
250GB SATA II Hard Drive (7200RPM)
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition, English
16X DVD+/-RW Drive
Dell AS501PA Sound Bar with power adapter for all Entry Flat Panel Displays
 
Well it all depends on what card you are thinking about getting. Most cards out there today don't even use all of PCI-Ex16 1.0/1.1's bandwidth. So if you could give a possible list of cards you are thinking about getting, then we can see.

As for the type of card: i am up for suggestions. I am looking for something that will give a large improvement. I play some grafic intensive games and want to be able to play to higher settings.

I am mostly a Nvidia person but I will explore ATI if the proformance is good and the price is good.

Open for suggestions.
 
There will be an improvement, however your 2.0ghz processor will soon be the bottleneck.

The processor wont be a problem because push comes to shove I can upgrade my processor a great deal. (think i got the lowest availible for my board at the type and slots haven't change in the 11 months since buying my computer.
 
haha.. so in order to upgrade my computer I need a CPU, 2gigs more ram, PSU, and the GFX card. At least I know it will work.
 
RAM is incredibly cheap right now. $40 for 4GB of DDR2? You should have seen the prices 2 or 3 years ago. Several hundred even for 2 x 1GB sticks.
 
my upgrade options

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/en/OM/HTML/appendix.htm#wp1150583 said:
Inspiron 530/530a/530c
Processor


Processor type
Intel? Core? 2 Quad processor
Intel? Core? 2 Duo processor
Intel? Pentium? Dual-Core processor
Intel? Celeron? processor

Level 2 (L2) cache
At least 512 KB pipelined-burst, eight-way set associative, writeback SRAM

Memory

Type
DDR2 SDRAM(667/800-MHz)
Memory connectors
four
Memory capacities
512 MB, 1 GB or 2 GB
Maximum memory
4 GB (Inspiron 530 only ) 8 GB(Inspiron 530a/530c)

Computer Information

Chipset
G33/ICH9

RAID Support
RAID 1 support (on-board)
DMA channels
seven
Interrupt levels
24
BIOS chip (NVRAM)
16 Mb (Inspiron 530 only) 8Mb (Inspiron 530a/530c)
NIC
Integrated network interface capable of 10/100 communication

Video

Type
Intel integrated video

Audio

Type
Realtek ALC888 (7.1 Channel audio)

Expansion Bus

Bus type
PCI 2.3
PCI Express 1.0A
SATA 1.0 and 2.0
USB 2.0

Bus speed
PCI: 133 MB/s
PCI Express:
x1 slot bidirectional speed - 500 MB/s
x16 slot bidirectional speed - 8GB/s
SATA: 1.5 Gbps and 3.0 Gbps
USB: 480 Mbps high speed, 12 Mbps full speed, 1.2 Mbps low speed

PCI

connectors
two
connector size
124 pins
connector data width (maximum)
32 bits

PCI Express

connector
one x1
connector size
36 pins

connector data width (maximum)
1 PCI Express lane
PCI Express
connector
one x16
connector size
164 pins
connector data width (maximum)
16 PCI Express lanes

Drives


Externally accessible:
one 3.5-inch drive bay (FlexBay)
two 5.25-inch drive bays
Internally accessible
two 3.5-inch drive bays
Available devices
two 3.5-inch Serial ATA hard drives and two 5.25-inch Serial ATA CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, or combo drive (optional)
one 3.5-inch floppy drive (optional) or Media Card Reader (optional)

NOTE: Floppy drive is supported only on Inspiron 530.

Connectors

External connectors:

Video
15-hole connector
Network adapter
RJ-45 connector
USB
two front-panel and four back-panel USB 2.0-compliant connectors
Audio
six connectors for 7.1 support

System board connectors:

Serial ATA
four 7-pin connectors
Internal USB device
two 9-pin connector (supports one flexbay device)
Floppy drive
one 34-pin connector
Processor fan
one 4-pin connector
Chassis fan
one 3-pin connector
PCI 2.3
two 124-pin connectors
PCI Express x1
one 36-pin connector
PCI Express x16
one 164-pin connector
Front panel control
one 9-pin connector
Front panel USB
one 9-pin connector (one connector supports two USB ports)
Front panel audio HDA header
one 9-pin connector
Processor
one 775-pin connector
Memory
four 240-pin connectors
Power 12V
one 4-pin connector
Power
one 24-pin connector
 

Latest posts

Back
Top