"Steambook" - A facebook application for steam

tyrant91101

Rookie
Joined
Nov 28, 2008
Messages
37
As a freelance coder, I often see projects for Facebook applications that I know I could easily do but usually I do not get the project because I have nothing in my portfolio to show that I am capable of doing it.

SO I had the idea of making a Facebook application that can tie in with a Steam account and display a list of games, achievements, and (MAYBE) what game the user is currently playing.

Would anyone be interested in putting and maybe advertising a Steam application like that? I am currently looking into the steam system to see if I can pull information about the achievements and games without directly parsing HTML (excuse my french but ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS). Apparently the MAUL system can do something like that so I'll be looking into it and seeing if its source code is available (MAUL was made by someone at Edge Gamers? I can't seem to find it anywhere else).

Since this is only a portfolio thing I'm willing to brand it as EdgeGamers, especially if any of the servers can be chipped in to handle polling Steam for information.

I'm just posting here to see if I can generate some interest, bug testers, and any feature ideas so that I can make my first facebook app a successful one.

Oh and I'll need some graphic designers or something because that's the one thing I cannot do.
 
I'd definitely be interested in using it. I could try graphic design but if you want a product that actually looks decently professional you're better off contacting someone like TomsSound or A Nurse From Texas or Jv, they're the big graphic designers round these parts. if you could get it working I'd really like to use it though.
 
I am currently looking into the steam system to see if I can pull information about the achievements and games without directly parsing HTML.

It's quite simple actually. You can use Steam Community's XML file to pull all the information you need:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spideycro?xml=1

And use cURL to pull that information into your PHP application. If you need any help you can send me a PM. ;)
 
Thank you spidey. Didn't know steam had an XML file like that. As for curl, I'm going to use a PHP module that I wrote that is a bit faster. I've had problems before with high volume curl calls.
 
I'll help any way I can, whether through bug testing or [semi-amateur] graphics.

Definitely an awesome project, and a great way to promote eGO through Facebook!
 
I am looking for a new design project, if ya need anything hit me up. I tend to be more artsy, but what you wan't I can do.
 
SturmBruder is....playing DOD right now.
6 minutes ago ? Comment ? Like

Lol....
 
Last edited:
Something cool that would add to the person's stream or whatever. So I'd go to my Facebook homepage, and see:

SturmBruder is currently playing DOD right now.
Join Them Now! - Show Server Info
6 minutes ago ? Comment ? Like
Obviously, there would be images instead of Join Now and stuff. I dunno, that's just a basic idea. Also, a wall box that would show the online status, current game playing, avatar, etc.
 
The Join Now and etc. will be there thanks to Steam registering its own "steam://" protocol.

I hope to have a working demo by tonight. Stay tuned guys :)
 
OK I can effectively pull up the userinfo for people and I am currently making an object which records everything in a usable format (XML is a pita).

I just need someone to make a CSS layout for everything (For the box it would have to be facebookish) but for everything else it has to be a combination of eGO and Steam. Also need someone to do some graphics. The current eGO logo isn't conducive to a facebook app.
 
Kind of off topic, but they should make an iPhone app that could let you login to the steam community and talk to friends and see what they're playing etc...
Would be pretty cool :)
 
Kind of off topic, but they should make an iPhone app that could let you login to the steam community and talk to friends and see what they're playing etc...
Would be pretty cool :)

I'm sure that will come along with the G1 phone soon..since it's open source. Maybe i'll do it if I can ever get some free time...
 
Back
Top