Building either a Mid Range VS High End computer

Noobkiller

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jan 18, 2008
Messages
755
The story goes like this.
My dad's computer is meh so he wants to just use that as a media computer and get a new one.
He wants a higher end but not 600$ per part computer. Like a newer quad core.
I was going to order the parts but I considered this, why don't I give him mine and build a Cutting edge OMG computer.

My current computer from memory
AMD Athon 64 X2 6000+ 3.0
2GB of Corsair Ram(I might just spend ~10-30$ and throw in 2 more
eVGA 8800GTS(Has served me well of the last couple of years)

Here is what my dad uses daily but probably will only ever use.
Photoshop
Watching videos
He wants it to boot fast(more ram) and photoshop running fast.

So I think my computer would server that purpose.

But I want to hold out till a new Nvidia gen comes out.
If I were to build a new computer now it will be an
New Case
i7(will last me at least a year)
Nvidia 2x5 (Whatever has a reasonable price to power ratio and because I <3 eVGA TO DEATH O_O)
1000W+ PSU (to last me till we can start teleporting)
12GB of Ram (because I am crazy)
That'll run like 1.5~2k ish.

If I were to build my dad a new computer it contain
A i7 or the newer AMD quads
6GB of ram
Nvidia 9600

This probably won't break 1k in a total new build

What do you guys think?
 
I have an i7 6GB DDR3 and GTX285 (1GB DDR3)
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
I paid approximately $1,500.00

Also, from a technology standpoint... I suggest you always stay middle of the line at the highest available generation. This will prevent you from overpaying while still achieving your maximum potential. Otherwise you're paying too much for almost the same results. ex: GTX 285 vs GTX 295 - Almost the same exact results for 99% of gamers.
 
Last edited:
I know bulletsponge. paying for something within a month or two of release or while it is still king is overkill
 
You will NEVER need 12GB of ram... You will save alot of money just buying 6GB's of RAM, DDR3 ram is way more expensive then DDR2 ram. 1000W+ PSU is giant overkill.

I have 6GB's of ram myself and I've never went over 5GB... That was with almost the entire Adobe suite open and 2 games running.
 
You will NEVER need 12GB of ram... You will save alot of money just buying 6GB's of RAM, DDR3 ram is way more expensive then DDR2 ram. 1000W+ PSU is giant overkill.

I have 6GB's of ram myself and I've never went over 5GB... That was with almost the entire Adobe suite open and 2 games running.

I wouldn't say never. If at some point he starts running VM's like crazy or hosting websites he could easily need that RAM. Or running some sort of math program.
 
I wouldn't say never. If at some point he starts running VM's like crazy or hosting websites he could easily need that RAM. Or running some sort of math program.

+1... thats one reason why I am getting my other set of ram to boost me to 12gb... plus i do movie editing with pemiere
 
Back
Top