xp pro 32bit and 64bit?

shotgun king

Rookie
Joined
Apr 11, 2009
Messages
86
I have read some articles on xp pro 64 bit and thought about switching to xp x64 but the problem is applications.so before I get into something way over my head i thought I would see the perks of both sides before switching and not having my usual programs
 
Last edited:
If you're thinking of switching to a 64-bit Windows, I'd really consider Windows 7 over XP. I don't have any of the problems that the XP users report.
 
XP 64 bit supports more than 4gb of RAM and runs on 64 bit supported CPU's only. That I know of, 64 bit support for XP (not for Vista or onward) was rather weak. To the point that you couldn't use a large chunk of your hardware for lack of drivers. I have had a friend say it was much better now. So, look into finding drivers that are 64 bit for all your hardware before you even think about buying it. Otherwise I would wait until Windows 7 releases and grab a 64 bit copy of that. Support will be almost perfect and the OS is just better.
 
XP 64 bit doesn't support many applications... If you are going for 64 bit, then get vista. It's support is way better. I use vista 64bit myself.
 
XP 64 bit doesn't support many applications... If you are going for 64 bit, then get vista. It's support is way better. I use vista 64bit myself.

This is what I would have said. If you really want to use 64 bit, then use vista. That may seem counterproductive, but it is worth it.
 
if your going for 64bit on windows use windows 7 iv been using it since the beta and it works great for both 64bit and 32bit applications, except for google chrome but there is a very simple fix for that.
 
actaully xp64 supports all apps except any needing a driver 2 run hence anti virus , it is a great os , but windows 7 is free atm , not really buggy , and to be honest will stomp xp 64 out in a heart beat.
 
I use XP (x64) on my primary work rig and laptop. Both have 8G of RAM. It is *rock solid*. Very little software does not work - I can think of only a couple b title games. It was much better compatibility than the 64-bit Vista. (Got an MSDN subscription, so have my pick of all of the Microsoft OS)

XP64 shares the same code base as Server 2003. Very solid stuff. Happy to answer any questions.
 
well i just switched to xp 64 bit and it worked great.no problems at all just a small problem with the steam server but that was the least of of my worries.thanks for the help!
 
I know I am gonna get trashed for this but I am running 64 bit vista on my pc and love it. I would wait till windows 7 and upgrade to that.
 
There is next to no support of XP 64-bit, get Vista 64-bit or the Windows 7 64-bit release candidate for free.
 
I'm not sure I agree. Drivers are typically the hardest thing to sort out. For my mainboard and video card, both had full XP x64 support and I've had better luck with my legacy hardware than I did with Vista 64. Always worth checking the drivers before you buy.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top