TF2 voice chat

Quaffer

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Apr 19, 2008
Messages
3,824
In CerberuS's Suggestion Box there are several references to the ease of use of TF2's voice chat system.

Quote Zero711: TF2 has a good in-game voice system ... both teams can talk to each other...

Quote DeFy: ...quite easy to talk ingame on TF2...

Are there more voice options than just pressing the mic button and talking to your team?

If so could someone please provide a list of voice options and what the comands are called in setup?

I get the impression that the voice menus are just used to plead for medics and to rat out sentry guns and cloacked spies.

Thank you for your aid.
 
The "both teams can talk to each other", I was referring to the CoD WaW Vent channel. To save on mic spamming, I often use the quick voice commands. There is Medic, default E (mine is Q), then there are 3 menus, Z, X, and V (default I think). After pressing one of those keys you open up a little menu and a response coordianted to a number key (and what class you are). For example, the ones I use the most (besides MEDIC!) are: Z-2: Thanks, Z-3:GO GO GO, Z-4: Move Up, X-2: Spy!, V-3: Cheers, V-7: Nice Shot, and V-8: Good Job. Is that what you were talking about? If so then I hope I helped.
 
I could be wrong, but i think it is z, x and c. but i don't use them very often cause i just talk though the mic, os i can't be certain.
 
It might very well be C, but mine is X. I use C as crouch instead of Ctrl. I just bound it to V. And I use Alt for my mic. The result is still the same though.
 
yea.

and is v what the defualt voice is? i always change mine to F cause it's easy to get to, and it's right next to G so i can get killed while doing a taunt when i wanted to just tell my teammates something :(
 
You can change the three voice menu keys to anything you like in the options menu or you can try this:

I found these on the net in my quest for voice info. Obviously you can bind them to whatever keys you like. This lets you skip the menu by binding the voices directly and you can pick and choose what you bind. I recently changed my mic key to mouse 3 and my last weapon key to wheelup. Wheel down scrolls to the other weapons. I had had my mic key on k as that was what I was used to in DoD but now I don't search for it anymore. The KP_ prefix means keyboard pad.

alias "v_medic" "voicemenu 0 0"
alias "v_thanks" "voicemenu 0 1"
alias "v_gogogo" "voicemenu 0 2"
alias "v_moveup" "voicemenu 0 3"
alias "v_goleft" "voicemenu 0 4"
alias "v_goright" "voicemenu 0 5"
alias "v_yes" "voicemenu 0 6"
alias "v_no" "voicemenu 0 7"

alias "v_incoming" "voicemenu 1 0"
alias "v_cloakedspy" "voicemenu 1 1"
alias "v_sentryahead" "voicemenu 1 2"
alias "v_teleporterhere" "voicemenu 1 3"
alias "v_dispenserhere" "voicemenu 1 4"
alias "v_sentryhere" "voicemenu 1 5"
alias "v_activateuber" "voicemenu 1 6"
alias "v_uberready" "voicemenu 1 7"

alias "v_help" "voicemenu 2 0"
alias "v_battlecry" "voicemenu 2 1"
alias "v_cheers" "voicemenu 2 2"
alias "v_jeers" "voicemenu 2 3"
alias "v_positive" "voicemenu 2 4"
alias "v_negative" "voicemenu 2 5"
alias "v_niceshot" "voicemenu 2 6"
alias "v_goodjob" "voicemenu 2 7"

bind "KP_7" "v_medic"
bind "KP_8" "v_activateuber"
bind "KP_9" "v_uberready"

bind "KP_4" "v_goleft"
bind "KP_5" "v_gogogo"
bind "KP_6" "v_goright"

bind "KP_1" "v_incoming"
bind "KP_2" "v_cloakedspy"
bind "KP_3" "v_sentryahead"

bind "KP_0" "v_niceshot"
bind "KP_DEL" "v_goodjob"

bind "KP_+" "v_positive"
bind "KP_-" "v_negative"
bind "KP_ENTER" "v_help"

e.g. lets say you want your medic to be able to say uber ready when you press the U key. you would edit
...\Steam\SteamApps\"your steam name"\team fortress 2\tf\cfg\medic.cfg
and add the following lines:

alias "v_uberready" "voicemenu 1 7"
bind "u" "v_uberready"

pressing the u key makes your medic say he is charged

for non specific class binds you edit the config file.
...\Steam\SteamApps\"your steam name"\team fortress 2\tf\cfg\config.cfg

alias "v_help" "voicemenu 2 0"
alias "v_thanks" "voicemenu 0 1"
bind "h" "v_help"
bind "t" "v_thanks"

Pressing h asks for help. Pressing t says thanks.
 
Last edited:
I honestly didn't understand a word of that Quaffer, lol

e.g. lets say you want your medic to be able to say uber ready when you press the U key. you would edit
...\Steam\SteamApps\"your steam name"\team fortress 2\tf\cfg\medic.cfg
and add the following lines:

alias "v_uberready" "voicemenu 1 7"
bind "u" "v_uberready"


for non specific class binds you edit the config file.
...\Steam\SteamApps\"your steam name"\team fortress 2\tf\cfg\config.cfg

alias "v_help" "voicemenu 2 0"
alias "v_thanks" "voicemenu 0 1"
bind "h" "v_help"
bind "t" "v_thanks"

Pressing h asks for help. Pressing t says thanks.
 
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top