New Computer

JunK

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Mar 17, 2009
Messages
2,977
So here is the funny thing. Im canadian, however if i buy everything from an american site and get it shipped to a friend in new jersey, then just have him bring the stuff up the next time he visits i'll save around $170 bucks, even with the conversion. Mainly because of the shipping cost, and the much lower tax rate.
I will not be ordering these parts immediately, but this is the setup i'd like to put together, which should be PLENTY for my needs. Let me know what you guys think.

Case
Mobo
CPU
PSU
RAM
Video Card

Total thus far with tax and shipping is $689.82. Include such things like added fans, paste and a cpu cooler and i should be rollin pretty sweet under $800.

Parts not included: CPU cooler, any suggestions compatible with listed mobo/cpu are welcome.
Negotiable Parts: Video Card. This particular 4890 is a great price, but as im not ordering right now, i could drop to a 4870 if cheaper at the time, but want to stick with ATI.
 
Last edited:
A Canadian company called Memory Express (memoryexpress.com) has prices that match or beat newegg.com. In addition to that they will match a lower price if for some reason they are higher. They also have cheap or even free shipping to most places in Canada and the warranty is amazing (no questions asked, 2-4 years available and if anything happens short of you smashing it with a hammer they will replace it with an equal or greater part within 1-2 business days).

I've built all my PC's with them and all my relatives/friends PC's for at least the last 10 years, there service, warranty and prices can't be beat.

Just thought I'd mention it, may save you some trouble.
 
did not know that, sounds like something to be checked out. thanks for the tip!
 
For the CPU cooler, the Freezer 64 Pro is always a good buy. They're dirt cheap, and will do you well.

The 4890 is a pretty good card. For a single GPU solution, it's a damn good card. I recently upgraded and I play Crysis Warhead with "Enthusiast" level settings, and 4x AA. You'd probably be set for the next decade. Kidding, it'll be great until DX 11 comes out, and we'll all be sad and miserable.

One thing you should know about the 4890: it's flippin' loud. I have it in my uber quiet Cosmos 1000 case and it's loud with the fan at 50%. Turn the fan up to 100% and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner. (It would be funnier if I was making a joke) It runs nice and cool though. With the stock cooler I get 70 C at full load.
 
May want to try reseating the stock heatsink xeno, my 4870 (should run a bit cooler but not by that much) idles at 42c with loads of 65-68 while gaming with a fan speed of only 35%, room temp is in the 70-75 range. Wouldn't be the first time I've seen a 48** series card shipped with improper or no thermal paste applied.

If the noise bothers you may be worth a shot, 50% would drive me nuts.
 
Well, I'm probably on target. No AC, amigo. It's still significantly cooler than the 4850 cards. Both me and BlackMesaSouth get loads of up to 90 on our 4850s. Upgrading to the 4890 was a nice change.
 
For the CPU cooler, the Freezer 64 Pro is always a good buy. They're dirt cheap, and will do you well.

alright, however do i need to look for a cooler that will specifically say it is compatible with AM3 socket, or will it fit just being an AM2+. because the freezer 64 pro does not state specifically AM3 but AM2+, AM2, 939, 754 compatibility.
 
Good build overall, though I would change the PSU.
This PSU is much better and will last longer, Corsair TX-650.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005

If your going to CrossFire in the future I would look around 850W for a good PSU for two HD 4890's. And the CPU cooler all depends if your OC'ing or not, the stock cooler will be fine even for mild OC's. Xenophek's recommendation is a good buy for starters. I'd recommend the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer if your going to OC hard.
 
Yeah nice build. Your budget is 800? You can get some better stuff with that kind of money
 
Looks good so far with what you have. I have a Phenom II X4 940, and it's a wonderful CPU. I have it OCed to 3.6Ghz and lurrvveeee it.

Another CPU cooler you may want to look at is Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer. I use it on my Phenom, and the highest temps I have ever seen during full blown gaming (with three different session of three different MMOs open) was 42C.

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm is a good list of top CPU coolers old and new.
 
any suggestions? Im limiting myself to the best bangs for my buck of what i need. Which is primarily just a bit of gaming, mostly CSS and video watching/internet browsing etc. Nothing real hardcore however i'd love to test out some of the newer higher end games.
That in mind i've updated my first post with some better finds
Also i have experience with a little bit of overclocking, nothing serious, but i'd like to pump that CPU to 3.6ghz if not 3.8 if i could. So i'll need cooling appropriate for such.
 
I'd recommend the Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer if your going to OC hard.

Well, that really depends on your perspective of what 'hard' overclocking is. I'm using a Freezer 7 Pro (the Intel version) and it get my Core 2 Duo to 3.6 GHz with 1.4 volts of vCore. Never goes over 65 degrees C, even with no air conditioning. The Phenom II has similar overclocking capabilities.

If you plan on overclocking harder than that, you really need water cooling. Bang for the buck is definitely the Freezer 64.
 
might be getting this sooner than i expected, im pretty sure my current rig is not going to survive the summer. My temps seem exploding hot without any AC. In cel 50 on each CPU and Mobo, 68 on GPU and 48 on the HDD. I've already modified the case for extra fans/airflow, theres just nothing else i can do with this hunk of junk.
 
Back
Top