Windows 7 Pre-orders - 1/2 off retail pricing

If a family relative didn't work for Microsoft, I'd be all over this. What do you guys think you'll get, home premium, pro, or ultimate? Looks to me like pro is the sweet spot. I don't think I'll need bitlocker or the choice of 35 languages, but xp mode and auto backup does sound kinda nice.
 
That explains why Best Buy had leaked the price at $50, while the recently announced prices from Microsoft where $120.

Thanks for the info. :)
 
I'm not a fan of using the "Upgrade" kits personally, so I'd probably buy a retail or OEM full copy if it wasn't for the fact that I'll be able to get it free from my school.
 
It says Home Premium and Professional but doesn't mention Ultimate. :(

And it only says the Upgrades. I want the Retail version. :(
 
Windows 7 HP =P When do we get it when we preorder it though?

I would assume October 22 or soon after.

Does anyone know how the upgrade versions work?

Like, does it have you enter your XP/Vista key during installation or does it require you have Vista already installed or what? And is there a limited number of installs or something? I've always just bought OEM or Retail versions, never an 'upgrade version.' Do you need a retail version of XP/Vista or will an OEM Version CD key work for the upgrade? And if I have Vista Home Premium, can I only upgrade to 7 Home Premium or can I upgrade to 7 Professional? I like to format my Primary drive and reinstall Windows every year; sounds like it will be a pain to do that.
 
Last edited:
I've installed Vista by booting from an upgrade disk, but I believe it had to check that a copy of windows existed on the hdd before it would install. After it verified that, it allowed me to format the drive and do a fresh install.

So, and double check me before you buy, I think you would just have to have a copy of windows installed, and then you can do a fresh install.

If you install on a fresh drive, I think it gives you the option of putting in an OEM disk before you install the new OS in order to verify that you have a retail copy.

Why they do this, I have no clue. Just give us all the ultimate version for $99 and call it a day.
 
I think Ill wait until Im in college, which is in 3 months and get student discounts.
 
Thanks for the heads up on this...
I'm really thinking about getting windows7 for my new PC build this summer anyways.
BONUS! :D

(to guy above this)
You might not want to wait for student discouts...
My school will sell you vista + works, pp, etc for $25 for my major...
But that doesn't really mean anything when you can't get 64 bit.
 
Last edited:
Usually the upgrades will work with nothing on the hard drive you just have to have the media from a previous version. So if you want a clean install you just format your harddrive and hold onto your XP or Vista cd's cuz it will ask for them, or you could let the upgrade format your harddrive for you. I usually remove the partitions and then create a new one when installing.

I have the rc on my rig at home, hopefully they will fix the 500gb limit on the primary partition during install, by the way that was the smallest it would let me create the primary partition. What I am going to do with a 500gb C: drive when I never install any programs to C::chair: I dont need 400gb of swap file!:facewall:
 
I've preordered a copy of the professional version from Amazon. I think it is definitely worth $100 to get just the upgrade. If you want the retail version, buy this upgrade, install xp or vista without the key, then upgrade during the 30 day trial given with xp or vista. You will have a brand new copy of Windows 7.

$100 off is a great deal, but if my college decides to give me student discounts worth more than this, I'm canceling the order and buying it from them.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top