Need some advice for a laptop

Zeus

Thread Thumper
Joined
Apr 25, 2009
Messages
1,142
Ok This i guess could be a simple question to answer but what should i get

(Note, i am buying this off of ibuypower)

I wanna keep the laptop under 1,000 and i know that its a very tight budget but heres what i was thinking about.

Get a better Processor

or a Laptop cooling stand

I'll post Specs

Processor (this is the one im thinking about)
Intel? Montevina Core 2 Duo Mobile P8700 Dual-Core Processor
Memory: 4 GB
VideoCard NVIDIA GeForce GO 9600M GT
Hard Drive: 320GB
Operating System: Microsoft Vista Home Premium 32-bit
And heres the Cooler that shoots me over my budget and if anybody knows about cheap ones too.
Laptop Cooler:NZXT CRYO LX Notebook Cooler
Also whats the Difference between a 32-bit and a 64 bit?

Thanks,
=(eG)=? Zeus
 
I would go for the better processor if you plan on moving your laptop a lot.

Difference between 32-bit and 64-bit is that A 64 Bit OS (In this case Vista) will support more then 3.2GB's of ram. A 32-Bit one only supports 3.2-3.4GB. So seeing the laptop has 4GB, you're wasting +-0.6GB ram.
 
what is the main purpose of this laptop going to be if you actually need something mobile your better off just getting an mid to low rang laptop and use a desktop for gaming.

really just think about i seriously doubt that your going to sit around school or some cafe to game
 
if you have a 1000 I'd get a macbook if you're not looking for games. I'm sure there is a ton of people here who hate mac but they have some decent stats now. If you're looking to game you should really, really consider a desktop. Processors and motherboards have come down so low in price that 1000 is plenty to make a really nice desktop.

EDIT: I'm such a mac fanboy for laptops I forgot to check the specs on yours. The one you listed is much better than either macbook for the price.
 
Last edited:
He's asking for a laptop guys. There's no need for us to advertise getting something else. Zeus, just get a processor; it's more reasonable in my opinion.
 
If you want the computer to run faster, I would suggest getting a copy of windows XP for it if it has drivers for xp. Otherwise, I would probably wait for windows 7 to come out. Windows vista will tend to suck down everything in the laptop, which you would be unlikely to compensate sufficiently for with a reasonable budget. On a good note, windows 7 can use many windows vista drivers, so you wouldn't have to worry about driver issues and it runs only slightly slower than xp, and incredibly faster than vista.
 
If you want the computer to run faster, I would suggest getting a copy of windows XP for it if it has drivers for xp. Otherwise, I would probably wait for windows 7 to come out. Windows vista will tend to suck down everything in the laptop, which you would be unlikely to compensate sufficiently for with a reasonable budget. On a good note, windows 7 can use many windows vista drivers, so you wouldn't have to worry about driver issues and it runs only slightly slower than xp, and incredibly faster than vista.

just use the win7 rc it's currently free

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx
 
True enough, and the Windows 7 RC will work till next year, so you have plenty of time to decide if you like it. On the laptop you listed, windows 7 will give you enough performance that you should be able to do most things without a better processor. An added benefit is many manufacturers of PC's are offering free upgrades to Windows 7 through Microsoft's windows upgrade option: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/buy/offers/upgrade.aspx
You can check to see if yours is one of those when you get it. That could save you some money as well if you decide to go with 7.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top