Firefox 3.5

Just to try it out, I did download this. I compared it to chrome, which is my default. The speed is relatively fast when in comparison. Memory usage is much better, being only 110MB with 15 tabs open at 15 different sites, compared to chrome which, with all tabs put together, gives me 99MB memory usage for only 4 tabs. The only thing that I wish it had is the "most visited" on the first tab that is opened so I can easily access my favorite sites with a click! Minus this minor inconvenience, I would recommend this browser to anyone trying to get to a site with speed!


Just an update:

I let firefox sit and idle its memory usage with 17 tabs, and it stopped at 160 to 170 MB depending on which tab I am on.
 
Last edited:
Just to try it out, I did download this. I compared it to chrome, which is my default. The speed is relatively fast when in comparison. Memory usage is much better, being only 110MB with 15 tabs open at 15 different sites, compared to chrome which, with all tabs put together, gives me 99MB memory usage for only 4 tabs. The only thing that I wish it had is the "most visited" on the first tab that is opened so I can easily access my favorite sites with a click! Minus this minor inconvenience, I would recommend this browser to anyone trying to get to a site with speed!


Just an update:

I let firefox sit and idle its memory usage with 17 tabs, and it stopped at 160 to 170 MB depending on which tab I am on.
Get the addon that makes the start page look like the chrome start page with most visited and all that.
 
I'm going to stick with my lil' Chrome buddy. Firefox seems to have a cookie problem for me and I can't stay logged in anyway.
 
I thought about switching from chrome on my pc and safari on my macbook, but they both work so well. Firefox lost me after the ever crashing 3.0.
 
Yeah, I switched from Firefox to Chrome. I just like the layout and simplicity of Chrome. And on top of that, low memory usage and high speeds.
 
Good Article on Cnet benchmarking the big 4.

Reaffirms my decision. Firefox lags behind chrome and safari on script rendering. Also consumes more memory than Chrome, but less than Safari. Now if Chrome would hurry up and get their awesome browser on to my Macbook, I would be a happy boy indeed!
 
If you had bothered to read the whole thread you would have seen that is the web page i linked in the first post.

Also, this is not a who has the better browser thread. This is a thread to let other know about the new version. You do not like Fire Fox then don't and don't download it. Another aspect is user induced error. Maybe it was crashing because you were doing something wrong? It is always other people to blame. Did you eliminate the possibility that you were to blame for the crashes? It think i had less than 10 crashes in all the years i have been using it and its RC and Betas.

I hate when all kinds of people that know nothing about something suddenly become experts and need to make their views known as if they wrote the code. Speed is not the only factor to consider, and the fact that you jumped on that one single aspect shows your ignorance. This is from the article you supposedly read, and since we are being picky and technical might as well point some things out. With reference to the memory, i have 4,000 MB of memory. You think 20 MB or .001 % of memory that Fire Fox uses more than Chrome will make a difference? Numbers are just that, numbers. If you do not know how to interpret it then that data is meaningless to you. No one did an experiment and came up with a result of 5 and said that it is true. The big part is knowing what that 5 means.

It's important to note that speed is not the only criterion for judging a decent browser. Each browser only had open two tabs, the results of its Dromaeo test and the results of its Safari test. Safari consumed nearly 135 MB of RAM, IE saw 104 MB, Firefox 3.5 hit 66 MB, and Chrome logged 46.5 MB. These results will fluctuate depending on your computer and any other tasks your browser is running at the time, but they give a decent idea of how each browser is performing during these tests.

Yea, the test shows it is slower. It is just that, a controlled test. It will never mimic the billion machines that can run browsers. Controlled test and real life results are not the same, just gives you a basic indication. Stop trying to dissuade people in my Fire Fox thread. Make your own about how much it sucks.

I point you to what Bliz said. Yes it is slower, but it takes less memory.

I compared it to chrome, which is my default. The speed is relatively fast when in comparison. Memory usage is much better, being only 110MB with 15 tabs open at 15 different sites, compared to chrome which, with all tabs put together, gives me 99MB memory usage for only 4 tabs.

And last word of advice, read threads before you post in them, it is good etiquette and shows respect to others.

Good Article on Cnet benchmarking the big 4.

Reaffirms my decision. Firefox lags behind chrome and safari on script rendering. Also consumes more memory than Chrome, but less than Safari. Now if Chrome would hurry up and get their awesome browser on to my Macbook, I would be a happy boy indeed!
 
I find 3.5 a great improvement and real competition for chrome. I have more issues with chrome loading pages all the time while I have been using 3.5 on the same sites and they load perfectly every time. Its not that much slower than chrome, if not faster in some cases. I would suggest you guys actually trying out the software for yourself before slamming it. This might be my comeback to Firefox! :)
 

Latest posts

Back
Top