Punkbuster is failing me

a pet rock

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
2,417
Trying to play in CoD:WaW and punkbuster continues to kick me. I didn't have a problem a week ago, but after a new update PB kicks me with an error message "PnkBstrB.exe heartbeat stopped". I have used PBsetup to manually update and it's still not working. I am not positive but shouldn't there be an actual punkbuster.exe that I can use besides just pbsetup? It's rather aggravating to get kicked 30 seconds into the game every single time for the same error message but not know what in the hell the error message means.
 
Do you run FRAPS, X-fire, vent, or steam when you play.

My quick fix is just restart you computer and see if it works then.
 
Last edited:
BCS - I run Steam while I play since I bought it from Steam, but it didn't bother me before the update.

Gunns - When I use task manager the only punkbuster programs I can find is pbsetup.exe. For my firewall both punkbusterA and punkbusterB are allowed.

Trying a restart on the comp right now,
 
what operating system are you running? if it is vista, try running CoD in xp service pack 3 compatability mode.

If that doesnt work, I would try actually manually updating punkbuster, the punkbuster setup .exe thing does not actually manually do it.

-Blue
 
Seems to be working at the moment. Not sure what went wrong. I do run Vista but I didn't change settings for SP3. Well whatever as long as it works.
 
Seems to be working at the moment. Not sure what went wrong. I do run Vista but I didn't change settings for SP3. Well whatever as long as it works.

The service probably didn't start back up or was shut down for some reason. Rebooting caused the service to start.

Next time you can check your services and see if it's 'Started'

Start -> Run -> services.msc
 

Latest posts

Back
Top