I think my memory is underclocked

Joined
Mar 22, 2009
Messages
77
I was looking at RAM speeds so I would know what to buy when I upgrade my pc. I have 2Gbs of PC2-5300. According to the website I looked at, it should run at 667Mhz, but according to CPUZ its only running at 333Mhz.

How do I fix this? Is there even anything wrong or is there something I dont understand about DDR2? If so could some one explain it to me? Thanks
 
you should be able to manually clock it to 667Mhz in the bios..
i know my motherboard clocked my 1866Mhz ram down to around 1300Mhz... im not sure why it does that, but it's probably a safety feature? i derno...
 
do you have different sticks of memory in your computer? if so your memory will always lower itself to run at the speed of your slowest stick.
 
common mistake or so i know. if you are running with DDR2 your speeds will be "cut in half" they are truly running at their normal clock rate.

Now, i believe i had heard this, but if i am wrong, correct me.
 
common mistake or so i know. if you are running with DDR2 your speeds will be "cut in half" they are truly running at their normal clock rate.

Now, i believe i had heard this, but if i am wrong, correct me.

This is true. Same thing with DDR3 memory, the clock speed is cut in half according to CPU-Z. If it says its running at 333MHz, its running at 666MHz.
(Its confusing with DDR3 because you'd think it would be tripled, but its just cut in half like DDR2 in CPU-Z)

So there is nothing wrong with your memory. Nothing to see here, move along folks :P
 
Last edited:
you should be able to manually clock it to 667Mhz in the bios..
i know my motherboard clocked my 1866Mhz ram down to around 1300Mhz... im not sure why it does that, but it's probably a safety feature? i derno...

Most motherboards default RAM voltage to ~1.8v whereas most DDR2/3 RAM use 2.0v or 2.1v. Check what voltage your RAM requires and make sure you set it to that in the BIOS to achieve the advertised speeds/timings

common mistake or so i know. if you are running with DDR2 your speeds will be "cut in half" they are truly running at their normal clock rate.

Now, i believe i had heard this, but if i am wrong, correct me.

This is correct
 
This is true. Same thing with DDR3 memory, the clock speed is cut in half according to CPU-Z. If it says its running at 333MHz, its running at 666MHz.
(Its confusing with DDR3 because you'd think it would be tripled, but its just cut in half like DDR2 in CPU-Z)

So there is nothing wrong with your memory. Nothing to see here, move along folks :P

Yeah, my DDR3 sticks run at 1333Mhz stock, CPU-z says they're running at 540 MHz :p If I would tripple that, that would be 1620MHz, which is possible :) Because I've OC'ed my CPU and I believe my ram get OC'ed too then
 
You want to link & sync your RAM and FSB at a ratio of 1:1 or 2:1, preferably. When you are using an i7 things change a bit though.
 
Back
Top