Comp Specs

Tex_Cowboy

Forum Fiend
Joined
Jul 26, 2007
Messages
583
So here is my new computer specs, let me know what yall think..

Board: ASUS MSN-SLI
CPU: AMD 6000 series Dual core
HD: 640gb main, 500gb secondary, 320gb server drive
CD/DVD Rom: 2 all in one CD/DVD burn/readers
Sound: Creative X-FI gamer sound card
Power: 900watts Cooler Master
GPU: 1 9800GTX, 1 9800GTX+
CPU Cooling: ThermalTake 760i bigwater water cooler
Fans: 3 220mm, 1 120mm
OS: Vista Ultimate, XP pro, Windows server 2003
Case: Cooler Master HAF full tower
 
Dual core? that seems to be a tad outdated.
everything else looks nice. sli 9800gtx is nice, large hard drives, very large psu, water cooling. very cool. :)
And a haf 932, best part. I have one too!
 
Nothing wrong with dual cores, even though there is better ones out there. I have a AMD 64 x2 and i have had zero issues with getting anything to run smooth.

If you are going to go with the water cooling, you might as well hook up your cards to it also. there is no need really for the fans anymore now you have that. 1 220mm can pull out the heat made from the cards and harddrives and any from the power supply if it has a bottom vent. so you have 4 going it should stay super cool.

SLI i could care less for it. I run most games at max settings and never had issues. i use a 9800gt 512mb. I also have 4 gigs of high performace memory.

overall your rig looks good, looking forward to building me a new one in 4 or so more years.
 
It wouldn't cost that much more to get a Phenom II X4 and not the dual-core.. just saying. ;)
 
did u mean a asus m2n ht or m3n , there is no msn , but a m3n ht is great that what i run , such a pimp board
 
One of my friends, Digfe, recently bought a computer with the HAF. It was a great case to work with, very clean cable management and lots of space.
 
The motherboard and the cpu are pretty much outdated and are bottlenecking your GPU's


Dual core? that seems to be a tad outdated.
everything else looks nice. sli 9800gtx is nice, large hard drives, very large psu, water cooling. very cool. :)
And a haf 932, best part. I have one too!

Exactly, everything is true and applies to me too :)
 
Well yes the intent is to take this rig all the way and put a quad core on her but that means a new board as well.... (Kids come first.) But with a new board i will also add the water cooling too the GPUs and HD. I built this rig 6 months ago and never had a issue so far other than over heating at first, so i bought the bigger case and water cooler. A few things i didnt put in my original post are that: Ram- 4gigs PNY gaming issue OS-Vista/XP 64bit


Thanks for the tips and responses too this guys, i have built more than my far share of rigs for all different types of users but when it comes down too it its always nice to see what other gamers thank. Also running three monitors: 20/20/32 inch upgrading too 24/24/32

did u mean a asus m2n ht or m3n , there is no msn , but a m3n ht is great that what i run , such a pimp board

No its a M2N-SLI, they dont make it anymore.. When i bought this you could of got this one or the M2N-SLI Deluxe version.
 
Last edited:
ahh I had a M2N-SLi Mobo in my 2nd build back, was a great board for 4 years ago.
 
I had the M2N-SLI Deluxe board for a long time. Served me good for the time I had it. Though Corei7 is treating me a tad nicer ;)
 
Yeah I gotta say I had that board before with a more powerfull CPU (AMD Athlon X2 @ 3.2GHz) and your only runs at 3.0GHz

Now I'm running a Core i7 and I gotta say it's a step from the stonage to 2009

I think I made a CPU comparison bench once...

*20 mins laters*

Here it is
benchmark.png

This is with both CPU's running at 3.2GHz

Setup for the AMD:
Asus M2N Sli Deluxe
Amd Athlon X2 6400+ 3.2GHz
2x 8600GT OC
2x250GB Hdd
2x2GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 ram

setup for the core i7:
Asus P6T Deluxe
Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.2GHz
2x 8600GT OC
2x250GB Hdd
3x 2GB Corsairs XMNS3 DDR3 Ram
 
Last edited:
I'd spring for the phenom ii 940 if I were you. It is a much better chip. The Athlon 64 X2 is fine if you already have it, but I wouldn't buy it now unless you get a great deal on a used one.

And you can check my sig to know I'm not just a hater.
 
Ryken how are u running steam apps on ur mac??? What app are you using to convert the files, my brother-in-law plays on my comp everytime he comes up and he would like to play on his mac g4 labtop.
 
Ryken how are u running steam apps on ur mac??? What app are you using to convert the files, my brother-in-law plays on my comp everytime he comes up and he would like to play on his mac g4 labtop.

Crossover games
 
i personally think 4 cores is pointless for 75-80% of any application most of us are going to be using, but i'd definitely go for the phenom II 550...blazing fast dual core, only cost like 80-90 bucks
 
i personally think 4 cores is pointless for 75-80% of any application most of us are going to be using, but i'd definitely go for the phenom II 550...blazing fast dual core, only cost like 80-90 bucks

It's handy if you like to multi-task.
 
no worries about the dual core right now they are just getting into dual core platforms so it is almost quicker then a quad in games that are made for dual core. they are the present core at the moment. Quads are ahead of their time right now nothing uses them right now. and the i7s dont get me started :)

other then that looks like a good machine gona wanna upgrade in about a year
 
Dual core? that seems to be a tad outdated.
everything else looks nice. sli 9800gtx is nice, large hard drives, very large psu, water cooling. very cool. :)
And a haf 932, best part. I have one too!


Higher end Dual Core processors tend to have higher clock rates than quad-cores, and not many aps utilize all 4 cores anyway, however I still have a quad core processor because in the future many more applications, and games will be designed to utilize more cores. Right now though, dual-core is sufficient, and can generally be clocked much higher than quad core. Just because you have 4 cores doesn't necessarily mean they are all being utilized to their fullest capacity.

This article is a couple years old, but explains the pros and cons of quad and dual core http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000942.html
 

Latest posts

Back
Top