New Jail Map Leoben - Need Testing Suggestion & Comments! Help make this the BEST!

PhaseXero

Famous
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
547
New Jail Map Leoben - V1 Released!

Current Status: V0.9 Released - Usable Map Tomorrow Latest
First version ready for everyone to use. All the features have been tested and it should be ready to play. Mostly optimized but the smoother running version will come out tomorrow since it will probably take an entire night to compile.

Some lighting problems due to my first time using cubemaps. Fixed and new version soon.

Download Link: http://uploaded.to/file/fqtm0b http://www.4shared.com/file/122229119/3d21fc34/ba_jail_leoben_v1.html FpsBanana has been broken for the past couple days. New Link when available. Additional download sites to come.

Problem and Solution: Too many verts for a dynamic vertex buffer (49586>49152 Tell a programmer to up VERTEX_BUFFER_SIZE

Your game cache on your computer is corrupted and needs to be refreshed. Exit CSS, right click on game in steam and go to Properties --> Local Files --> Verify Integrity of Game Cache. After that is done the map should run perfectly.

Overview:
There's no real lore or story, my idea for the jail came from a really nice jail located in Leoben, Austria. There was really only one goal, games, games and lots of games. I'm sure most of you have been frustrated as a T when all you play is couch game, trivia and maybe a maze. This map has been designed to amuse as many people as possible.

Finalized Features:
(Unfortunately I can't add any more things, I ran out of map memory - that's all folks!)

Cool Feature
  • ST Pistols - Special pistol to Ts on special treatment. Pistols have an overhead graphic and light trail so the ST person is marked and will not be killed. There are 7 rounds in the gun, CTs empty and throw.
  • Random Gun Spawn - Small Chance of spawning two pistols (15%)
  • Random Maze - Two mazes, different each time
  • Disco Rave - Everyone gets a light following them while they are in disco, blue for CTs, Red for Ts (to be implemented).

Games Features
  • Obstacle Course - Easy and hard version
  • Race - With team autosort option (go into teleporter, automatically generates two teams).
  • Skipping Rope - Jump or the rope kills you! Hard and Easy.
  • Running Race - Simple track, stole the layout from Rogue_Sniper.
  • Soccer/Basketball
  • Deathrun - Easy and Hard Version (Hard Version to be made at a later date)
  • Dodgeball - Easy and Hard Version
  • Climb - Nice and simple, has a cool spiral finishing tube. I might make it a slide later on. Most people should be able to do this one
  • Playground

Other Rooms of Importance
  • Disco - 3 Songs + Secret Mode
  • Pool - Meh nothing special, has 3 diving boards.
  • Couch Game - Everyone loves couches. Everyone.
  • Execution Rooms - Gas, Fire, Giant Pit of Death

Download Link: http://uploaded.to/file/fqtm0b FpsBanana has been broken for the past couple days. New Link when available. Additional download sites to come.

Things Left to Do
  1. Fix some weird texture shadings due to cubemaps.
  2. Add jpg signs so that I can add some more fun stuff to this map.
  3. Improve vent system and add more foliage for cover
  4. Add more props and visible lighting / aesthetic improvements

Time for me to shut my face and post pictures!
4.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg



Thanks and hope you guys enjoy!
 
Last edited:
Dude from the pictures it looks great but maybe sticking to solid colors like grey cause it kinda looks all over the place with colors also the map looks awesome! maybe label the rooms like directions to them.
 
The best advice I can give you is try sticking with a theme across the whole map because mixing and matching textures like that just looks bad.
 
The best advice I can give you is try sticking with a theme across the whole map because mixing and matching textures like that just looks bad.

Yea the map itself looks really solid, it just needs the texture consistancy of a real building.
 
you said tough review but theres nothing wrong with it except for the color. other than that is one the best maps i've seen want to play!!!
 
Guys Why he did this is because he didnt want a plain map and he wanted it to be Eye catching or w,e
 
Has the map been fully optimized? i am having FPS drops in some locations
 
Has the map been fully optimized? i am having FPS drops in some locations

Unfortunately I have yet to put in the hint and area portal brushes. I'll be putting them in as soon as the rest of the map has been fleshed out. I guess I haven't put that at the top of the priority list because I recently upgraded my computer and everything runs well now :P

It'll be hard to optimize it in the main areas though because of how open it is. If i didn't make it have so much glass it probably wouldn't crash as much and it would run smoother. Thanks for letting me know Frazar

Yea the map itself looks really solid, it just needs the texture consistancy of a real building.

I'll take a look at the textures, I won't be making drastic changes since I like the environment to change a bit as I go through it. I'll also be adding some foliage and maybe some walls to give Ts a fighting chance. It's either that or I just put a ton of guns everywhere and see how that goes.

Thanks for the input guys, hopefully maybe two days or so and I can come out with V1 of the map.
 
wow phase. you are definantly an awesome guy to do this. even though you didnt have to, you did. i am proud to say your in eGO! thanks bro! ;) :P
 
Yeah only real solid complaint i have is the FPS drops, but as long as you have it on the to-do list then it should be all set

When it is all said and done and you think it looks golden, send it to Rogue Sniper and we will give it the final test.

Over all... looks good
 
Good map. Just downloaded and tried it out.

Obviously this map still needs work, it's just in it's beginning phase ( lol )

However while play testing it I noticed a couple things that need to be worked on.

The jump rope. I would start it up and after 10 seconds or so I hit stop, but it kept on going. It would stop for maybe 2-3 seconds and than continue.

In the obstacle course where you enter with the blue doors I noticed on the left side there is a platform, get on that you exit, however on the right side there isn't one.

When you exit the doors to the left of disco and look on the ground near the sides you can see underneath the map.


Don't know if this is intentional or not, but every now and then as a T I would spawn outside of the cells near the armory.


Not sure if it had to do with the alternate website you used while fpsbanana was down, but I could not get the songs to play in the disco, as well the buttons kept disappearing on me.


Otherwise looks good.
 
Zomg cant wait to try out the skipping rope!!!! that'll be and epic game of LR and a great alternative to the couch game :D
 
that must be the jail martha stewart went to. its what it looks like after she left
 
After playing your map for a little while longer I have a couple more issues/suggestions


The revolving doors by the front can easily be blocked by someone, which if a few t's go through, would mean a lot of griefing. Maybe make it so by blocking it you lose health?


With the jump rope when I press down on both sides than press stop my game crashes. Happened twice already.


In the obstacle course up top with the small moving platforms frankly the wall is to short. T's can just jump over and causes a rebellion to be way to easy. However a little higher wall with say an invisible ladder, might deter some T's from rebelling, but giving others a chance to as well.

Theres also an issue with that obstacle course where if you jump onto a platform and fall off you you will go back to the beginning but you wont stop there. You will just keep falling off over and over.

All of the walls that have the texture with the white boxes inside the glass keep flickering to black when you walk by/look at them. It's really annoying and very distracting. http://img266.imageshack.us/i/bajailleoben0000.jpg/

Frankly the armory is way to easy to get into. Maybe add something where if you go in the ladder way, you can't go back out, which makes the t's have to go out the area that beeps. Or do what rogue did on devs and give the CT the option to close that entrance with a button.

In several place I get massive fps drops. Same places every time. Don't know if you want me to show you where or not, but I will if you need me to.

In the pool area it's possible to just jump over the side and go between those two rocks and around the corner. Not sure if intentional or not, but frankly it takes away from the map by being able to see underneath, other areas that probably don't need to be seen. http://img208.imageshack.us/i/bajailleoben0001.jpg/ http://img187.imageshack.us/i/bajailleoben0003.jpg/ http://img248.imageshack.us/i/bajailleoben0002.jpg/

And than finally I don't understand the kill rooms. I can only get the bottomless pit to work.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top