A Semi-Pro Tip from Fearless

Fearless888

Active Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2008
Messages
408
As a spy, when the enemy is searching for you in a room, move to a place they have just searched and your chances of survival will increase.
 
Thanks for the info. I'll keep that one in mind after I stay in my original hiding spot you don't know about. :P
 
When I get caught heading towards an enemy's vents in Blackmesa and have time to recloak, I stand on the table.

No one ever checks the table.
 
When I get caught heading towards an enemy's vents in Blackmesa and have time to recloak, I stand on the table.

No one ever checks the table.

I always check the table, simply because nobody else ever does.
 
Pro Spy Tip: Jump ontop of stuff. apparently, people don't realize spies can jump too. I stood on top of some boxes while 3 pyros sprayed a room I was in, never found me.
 
Master has taught me how to hide well as a spy, to let him down would be a bad idea.
 
Super-Secret Spy Tip: Don't hide anywhere near me when I play pyro and decide to spy check. You will be found and killed.

Super-Secret Pyro Tip: Spend a few dozen hours as a cloak and dagger spy and you will know every single hiding spot.

Super-Secret Misattributed Sun Tzu Tip: To know your enemy you must become your enemy.

Super-Secret Zelda Tip: Dodongo dislikes smoke.
 
My favorite little nook still is the pulley-beam on the way to L and C. Great for clearing out the upper ledge with no one running into you, and if the beam gets pulled up, easy enough to drop down ^_^
 
Seriously, spies would never start/contribute to threads like this - it is counterproductive, think about it... Probably started by a pyro... ;)

Thanks for the info. I'll keep that one in mind after I stay in my original hiding spot you don't know about. :P

So you are saying that was a failed attempt to smoke you out of a good spot, eh Deja? ;)
 
Too many tips about hiding, we need tips about being blatantly obvious and getting "killed" quickly. Of course I'm speaking of the dead ringer.

-When using dead ringer, you will oft be disguising as allies and very rarely will you be disguised as an enemy.

-When you disguise as an ally and get "killed" the body that falls will be that of the ally you disguised as. When you get "killed" disguised as an enemy a spy body will fall. This is useful information since seeing a spies body fall will alert the person that there is a chance you are using the dead ringer, most likely they won't think twice about it if it's not a spies body.

-Dead ringer is great for retreating, there are many times I've been low on health and have run back to base and have come across a situation where if I did not have the dead ringer equipped I would have died.

-Dead ringer is an easy way into the enemy base. Run in looking like a fool (whilst disguised as an ally) with the dead ringer out and hope you get killed by a sentry gun. Then proceed to disguise as an enemy, find cover, uncloak, and unleash mayhem upon the unsuspecting enemies.

-Dead ringer extinguishes fire. If you're on fire simply right click and you will "die" and the fire will disappear. Now, this does not work if you are under continuous fire by a pyro, you will simply be lit up immediately after cloaking.

-Fall damage triggers the dead ringer if you have it out. This happened to me many times when I first started using the dead ringer, it was really annoying.

-Dead ringer makes you nigh unkillable. No single attack can kill you when you have the dead ringer out and full health, not even eight sticky bombs right at your feet. The only thing that can kill you in one hit when you have dead ringer out is the train and if you are fast enough you can side step and get knicked by the train not taking full damage.

-Make sure not to "die" too easily, you might want to soak up a bit of damage first or make sure a large battle is going on and people are distracted. It's very easy to spot most dead ringer users who are not careful when it comes to this point. It's good to make not of what things will normally instant kill whatever you're disguised as or to keep a mental picture of how much health you're pretending to have.

And lastly a personal tip for using the dead ringer to find enemy spies. I've never seen anyone else do this before which is surprising since it's very effective.
-When you know an enemy spy is in the area, usually cloaked, simply make sure he didn't see you disguise as an ally and then stand there or move around the room pretending to look for the spy. If no other allies are around chances are he will backstab you. Since you had the dead ringer out you took very little damage and you are now cloaked and you know exactly where he is. Simply uncloak out of his LOS and come back and backstab or shoot him or uncloak right in his face and backstab or shoot him. Simple yet effective way to spy check when you're a spy.

Now that you all know my tricks I'm officially screwed. :scared:
 
Seriously, spies would never start/contribute to threads like this - it is counterproductive, think about it... Probably started by a pyro... ;)

Just because we give away one good hiding spot does not mean there aren't ten more we won't say ^_^
 

Latest posts

Back
Top