Internet problem

supertrooper

Famous
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
507
Ok, so i just move back to my parents house for 3 weeks for a down time between summer and fall classes. We when i got here and tried to connect to the internet It wouldn't work.

We have a wireless router and and have a wireless card, and i have connected to it before but it always seemed to be causing problem. Now i have always used a large amount of bandwidth with gaming and streaming video so idk if that is part of the problem.

But this is what happens. I start up my computer and once it's loaded i bring up my wireless card menu and i see 2 routers. A linksys router and my family's router. since linksys is not protected it automatically connects to that. but i can't access the internet. So i try connecting to my family's router, enter the WPA and it tries to connect, and then it goes between being connected and no connection like a sin or cos wave.

Sorry if this is a little vague but does anyone here think they can help with this situation?
 
I just had the same problem this morning, I have a protected WEP so I just typed that into my "key 1" slot. The best thing to do is call up your Network and talk to them, they will guide you through everything you have to do.

I just manually made my account network and connected it manually. That works or try resetting your modem/router.
 
yea,k i have re entered my wpa several times, and i also have tried reseting my router/modem serveral times (there the same thing, i know it's kindof weird. ill give my isp a call later i might be headed over to lake michigan today so it might be tomorrow but thanks for your help.
 
So you say it connects after entering the WPA key, how is the signal strength? When the connection cuts out, do you mean that you are no longer connected or you have Limited connectivity? Are you using WPA or WPA2, and does your wireless card software automatically detect whether the router uses either, and also TKIP, AES, etc.?

Is this the first time you've tried accessing that router with your pc and wireless card? Any problems in the past? Do you have a manually configured IP address? What kind of router is your family using?

I'm sure we can figure this out.
 
there might me bugs in the router, try reseting the router, reconfigure the WPA configurations, see if that helps, my father gets a simlar problem some time =)
 
So you say it connects after entering the WPA key, how is the signal strength? When the connection cuts out, do you mean that you are no longer connected or you have Limited connectivity? Are you using WPA or WPA2, and does your wireless card software automatically detect whether the router uses either, and also TKIP, AES, etc.?

Is this the first time you've tried accessing that router with your pc and wireless card? Any problems in the past? Do you have a manually configured IP address? What kind of router is your family using?

I'm sure we can figure this out.

ok, let's see where to start.

When i enter the wpa, it says it's connected, but for the few seconds it is i can't connect to anything, my first test is to connect xfire, and i get nothing, not even a spark. however BEFORE i enter the WPA it varies between 33 and 80 percent.

Ok, then i usually get frustrated with it and leave it alone for a while, and wwhen i come back it settles on having limit or no connectivity to my family's router.

I'm gonna say i have WPA cause that's what it asks me for, but be wrong about this.

Yea, it does detect it, it says the encryption is TKIP

No I've tried connecting to it before, the last time was over 8 months ago. Back then everything would be fine until i tried to connect with my router. it would work but would constantly "crash" idk if that's the right word, but im guess it has to do with the amount of bandwidth that I use.

I dont know if we have a manually configured IP. I doubt it cause im about the only technologically advanced to do something like that and i dont remember ever doing anything like that.

and we are using a netgear...... uh idk the model number. If it helps we got it when charter installed out stuff.

Hope im made this clear, i'm not the most knowledgeable person so it might sound like i dont know what im talking about
 
Ok, I'm going to spitball a few ideas and we'll go from there. I wish I had a one-step solution for you man but if you're up for it we'll grind it out:


The limited or no connectivity could mean your wireless card isn't getting a valid IP address. Either the router's DHCP server is refusing to give you one (which would mean failure to authenticate with the WPA password) or the router is unable to give you one (because you already have one manually assigned or the router's DHCP is funky, etc.)
So there are a couple things I'd be interested to see:
  1. Check if you have a manually assigned IP address. Do this before trying to connect to the wireless (stay disconnected). In windows (I'm assuming you use) hold down the windows key and press R. In the Run dialog box, type "cmd" without the quotes. A black screen should come up, this is a command prompt. Type in "ipconfig" without the quotes and find the entry for your Wireless Card. Copy and paste the output of this command here.
  2. When you see the "Limited or no connectivity" wireless icon in your taskbar, right click it and hit repair, see if it returns to the limited state.
  3. Make sure you're using the right password. Has it changed in 8 months? Do any other machines use the router's wireless connection? The sad truth is these devices don't last forever and their internal electronics burn out, the router could be a lemon.
  4. Are you using the wireless connection manager that comes with Windows or a third party program to manage wireless connections? In either case, if you have the netgear wireless connection saved as a profile or something, remove it and let your wireless card auto-detect settings again.
  5. Would you be able to power-cylcle or reset the router? Also, do you have access to the router's web-based configuration pages? Taking a look there could verify some settings.

What sucks is I'm probably overlooking the most simple explanation, but I hope for our sakes I'm not =D
 
Back
Top