New eGO Server

Isn't eGO about fun, maturity, fun, good members, fun. Not being the best at the game? I thought eGO was a place for good/skilled gamers to play with/against newer members while still having fun. If you wan't level of play, or competetiveness, why not find some servers that many comp players play in? I'm sure they'd be good enough to your standards.

EDIT: Why do you want so many "good players" anyhow? Are we not a good enough challenge or something? Your arguement seems to be that comp maps = better players. However, if we only had comp maps, wouldn't all the people from 2fort IR, and all that migrate there, so the same skill level would be seen throughout...
 
Last edited:
But what kind of players do we want to draw in? That's the key question.

Turning one of our servers competitive-grade would definitely increase the overall skill level. Likewise, having 24/7 hydro will decrease it.

eGO has always been about fun and maturity, not about skill. That is one of the biggest reasons I joined.
 
Isn't eGO about fun, maturity, fun, good members, fun. Not being the best at the game? I thought eGO was a place for good/skilled gamers to play with/against newer members while still having fun. If you wan't level of play, or competetiveness, why not find some servers that many comp players play in? I'm sure they'd be good enough to your standards.

EDIT: Why do you want so many "good players" anyhow? Are we not a good enough challenge or something? Your arguement seems to be that comp maps = better players. However, if we only had comp maps, wouldn't all the people from 2fort IR, and all that migrate there, so the same skill level would be seen throughout...

If we don't raise the server standards, then we'll be stuck with 2fort players. Yes ego is fun, mature, and has good members, so why not add even more value by helping to raise the overall skill level of the game.

Go to any forum, and we'll see topics like this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/genmessage.php?board=437678&topic=51039819

Is it true? No it isn't, is it good for our reputation? No, definitely not.

I'm not asking for airshotting soldiers or superskilled demomen, I'm just asking for decent teams which don't feature 3 spies, 3 snipers, 3 engineers, and 3 scouts on offense.

We should teach people how to play, and maybe set up a training center to assist them. See the Drop-Box, I'm drafting my submission.
 
Last edited:
But what kind of players do we want to draw in? That's the key question.

Turning one of our servers competitive-grade would definitely increase the overall skill level. Likewise, having 24/7 hydro will decrease it.

I love how you assume being more pub-accessible automatically reduces my or any other's skill level on that server. Or that the map has any effect on someone's skill.
 
I love how you assume being more pub-accessible automatically reduces my or any other's skill level on that server. Or that the map has any effect on someone's skill. Did I mention I love you? I was being sarcastic.

What a pity that it's unrequited....

The map draws in players of a certain skill... it's like how you see the overall skill level of instaspawn2fort being lower than that of Gravelpit, valve maps, or even payload.

It's not the map changing the person's skill, it's the map drawing in players. good players aren't as attracted to instaspawn2fort as they would be to gravel.
 
What gives you the right to say those on 2fort IR servers are worse than those on Gravelpit? I play 2fort IR, I enjoy playing it. Mainly, because I have made numerous friends while playing there. I can list off many people I enjoy playing with, because they give me a challenge in playing, and we can banter and have a laugh, people such as:

Shadohunter
Coupon Queen
Coupon King
Maj.Emish
Gorebagg
Randall Flagg
MSK Impostr
Spidey (when he plays :P he migrated to mesa)
Quantum Outbreak
Cleverpig
{SancT} General Blue
depraved
Nick Aura

To name but a few. These players are skilled, fun, and enjoy the game and the atmosphere. I don't see how you know, 2fort IR gains worse players than those of Gravelpit. How often have you played 2fort IR? How many times have you played with the regulars? You can never say "such and such a server brings worse people in" because, how do you know?

I've never played against Woodstock, for any times I can remember. I know however, he is pretty good. Same goes for alot of other players on other servers, I don't judge the players in other servers until I play with them. I know Dustbowl has/had alot of good players. (I haven't played there in a while) such as Cliff, black hand etc etc

I dunno why you have such an elitist sense about you, as if you are the king of TF2. You have no right judging people before you get to know them/play with them. No right whatsoever.

EDIT: yeah, those threads are out there, what does it have to do with map choice whatsoever? Most of those people that reply there don't like our rules, not our map choice.
 
Last edited:
Those players are our eGO players, your point is irrelevant as the discussion is about drawing in public players, not about our players, which was specified at the start.

The only time I play 2fort instarespawn is when the other servers are all full, or the other servers are all empty and I'm waiting to join another server which has a proper map.

In that regard, I'm definitely not being elitist, I'm just stating these undisputable facts:

- Gravelpit, Granary, Badlands, Turbine and Well are maps used and recognized in leagues such as CEVO, Ozfortress, ETF2L, and UGC
- No league, competition, or even PUG has ever featured hydro (some have featured 2fort, most failed miserably)
- Every time ego sets up a Hydro server, it fails miserably
- Every time Hydro comes up on valave rotation, it gets RTVed away

Tell me, if we wanted to attract good players, why should we use Hydro, of all maps?

You've not brought up any reasons so far, and as far as I've read, the entire case for setting up a hydro server is this:
Hello eGO members,
I would just like to request a type of server that pulls tons of people, and is extremely fun (I know this server pulls alot from personal experience, my server averaged 22 players, this was with no recruiting or any effort to get people in-game.) The server I am talking about is a 24/7 tc_hydro server. You might ask, nobody even plays that map, why make a 24/7 server running it? Because no servers play it. People love hydro, but with very few servers running it, they can't show their love. Just my two cents if we were planning on switching a few servers up.

So we've got some member telling us up that he set up his own personal server which averaged 22 players. That is all you have to support the addition of hydro as a server on ego, seriously guys?

So, are we going to go in the direction of one person's favorite map which has been recognized as being unbalanced, or would we rather begin paving the future by providing good servers which draw in skilled public players.

Now for my trump card:
http://www.steampowered.com/status/tf2/tf2_stats.php
Let's look at those statistics, a total of 500 server hours went towards hydro, yet hydro has the longest average round time of 45 minutes. As such, one can only conclude that not only is hydro not well liked (or many more people would play it), it's also a stalemate fest, even more so than 2fort.
 
Last edited:
Guys, this thread needs to die. The leadership has made the decision to stick with what we have for a while. Sure, leadership probably reads this thread, but the fact is if we stick with what we have, people will end up coming. Let everybody else constantly change their servers. If we leave ours alone, we will be fine..
 
What gives you the right to say those on 2fort IR servers are worse than those on Gravelpit? I play 2fort IR, I enjoy playing it. Mainly, because I have made numerous friends while playing there. I can list off many people I enjoy playing with, because they give me a challenge in playing, and we can banter and have a laugh, people such as:

Shadohunter
Coupon Queen
Coupon King
Maj.Emish
Gorebagg
Randall Flagg
MSK Impostr
Spidey (when he plays :P he migrated to mesa)
Quantum Outbreak
Cleverpig
{SancT} General Blue
depraved
Nick Aura

To name but a few. These players are skilled, fun, and enjoy the game and the atmosphere. I don't see how you know, 2fort IR gains worse players than those of Gravelpit. How often have you played 2fort IR? How many times have you played with the regulars? You can never say "such and such a server brings worse people in" because, how do you know?

I've never played against Woodstock, for any times I can remember. I know however, he is pretty good. Same goes for alot of other players on other servers, I don't judge the players in other servers until I play with them. I know Dustbowl has/had alot of good players. (I haven't played there in a while) such as Cliff, black hand etc etc

I dunno why you have such an elitist sense about you, as if you are the king of TF2. You have no right judging people before you get to know them/play with them. No right whatsoever.

EDIT: yeah, those threads are out there, what does it have to do with map choice whatsoever? Most of those people that reply there don't like our rules, not our map choice.

Hay midget, where's my name? Also, I prefer 2fort. I can play in any other map, and do just as good, but I started TF2 out in 2fort, and it's just a classic to me.
 
Heh kunai, That was off the top of my head, my first map was 2fort as well, :) And not all of them there are eGO players, the last 5 or so are pubs, which are now regulars. Hydro may not attract many pubs, but if you want pubs, why not have 10 2fort servers, they seemed to be in the most popular in those TF2 stats. Also hydro w/l between red and blue are almost exactly 50/50 which might show something as well. The avg of 22 players on, (Im guessing) a 24 man server is pretty good. IF 32 man, not so good. I'm sure however with enough love it could be brought in to stay a la valve maps. (Remember how atten was devoted to keep it there? It proved against the whole "rotations are bad" ethos we had over here, Hydro might do the same if we have people willing to play it.)


- Gravelpit, Granary, Badlands, Turbine and Well are maps used and recognized in leagues
such as CEVO, Ozfortress, ETF2L, and UGC

True, but your point being? Some maps are better suited to comp because they are symmetric, and 5cp push maps tend to have better balance and are easier to decide the winner of. The TF2 stats show 2fort as most played map. Huh, comp must have it all wrong then, since 2fort is the most popular map for pub play. (Thats basically your arguement in reverse)

- No league, competition, or even PUG has ever featured hydro (some have featured 2fort, most failed miserably)

Probably true, yet, this is a pub server, with people who don't always want to play competetively.

- Every time ego sets up a Hydro server, it fails miserably

I never remember us having a hydro server.

- Every time Hydro comes up on valave rotation, it gets RTVed away

The majority of people who don't like hydro will obviously always push it out.

I still have a question unanswered.

Why do you want people with good skill levels? It's not like it matters, having fun is what counts.
 
Last edited:
Why do you want people with good skill levels? It's not like it matters, having fun is what counts.

25p3e47.jpg


+1, sir.
 
The map draws in players of a certain skill... it's like how you see the overall skill level of instaspawn2fort being lower than that of Gravelpit, valve maps, or even payload.

It's not the map changing the person's skill, it's the map drawing in players. good players aren't as attracted to instaspawn2fort as they would be to gravel.
i'm sorry but i take real offense to that.
2fortIR almost the only server i play on, so does that make me an under average player compared to someone that plays on gravelpit, or any other map?
 
i'm sorry but i take real offense to that.
2fortIR almost the only server i play on, so does that make me an under average player compared to someone that plays on gravelpit, or any other map?
You've got it in reverse.

Your point was that playing on a bad map automatically makes you a bad player, (i.e. bad player is a subset of bad map).

I'm saying that good players tend to play on good maps, there's a subtle difference there.

Why do you want people with good skill levels? It's not like it matters, having fun is what counts.

I'm saying that if we created a server which draws in good players, then players who know their stuff will go to that server too.

I'm sure many people have had the frustration of being on a team which was simply doomed to lose (6 snipers 4 spies).

The response when I told people that we need to play as a team was that 'so why don't you do something about it?'

This is that something, think about it, everyone improves their game, and we have a better gaming experience for all of us, eventually the community will experience a spillover effect from the good players and the overall standards of our servers will rise, it's a beneficial loop.
 
Hydro is the ONLY Territorial Control map, and a lot of people aren't used to playing it/feel it takes too long/have gripes about the map that are for the most part nonsense.

Gameplay is a lot more based on strategy and coherent teamwork then the all-out brawls of CP or CTF.

I would honestly like to see more of it, but people insist on RTV'ing it away on the rare occasion it does manage to win the next map poll. Sorta like Pipeline. Show a map some love!
 
So having 5, 6 spies is better than the 6 scouts granary gets? Teams are never doomed to lose, epic comebacks are always the sweetest victory. Even then, teamwork does help situations like that. If people respond like that, take it upon yourself to change class, go engy, set up a defence until people realise and start following on. Being a good leader is key in helping to win. At the end of the day, I'd rather a stalemate fest than steamrolls that I have seen often in the granary/well/badlands maps.

You keep on saying skill = better gaming experience. Bullcrap. I'd rather play with a bunch of well mannered players that "suck" rather than the best players who go about calling everybody a "newb, n00b" etc.

Gaming experience is as much about the atmosphere as it is the people on the other end of the computer. Skill doesn't affect what I think of our servers, why should it affect yours?

Dude, imho, lighten up. The game isn't a huge serious game, it's meant to be more about fun than skill. I mean, would you ever see a piss jar in COD? No. Thought not.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top