Mice DPI

frantic.^

Famous
Joined
May 29, 2008
Messages
472
I was intrigued by "One"'s thread about the mouse fix. I remember reading about that long ago, and I think it's great he brought that to us for easy access. Inside that thread he mentions DPI, which sparked some thought..

Here is some CS:S knowledge that I have acquired over the years:

DPI above In-Game
In-game sensitivity in CS:S is 100% accurate up to 1.7 out of 20. Any sensitivity past this point is skipping pixels on your screen (I refer only to users, server-side settings are a whole other ball game). Many professionals, as well as other good players, were frustrated by this obstacle and came up with a way around it. DPI above In-Game. This is the loop-hole. By increasing a players DPI, they are effectively increasing their sensitivity without touching the in-game settings. This allows a player to fine-tune their aiming without being forced to "skip" pixels in-game. This practice is one of the most used for anyone looking to improve their aiming.

Don't play on plastic mouse pads. Only use fabric, far better accuracy.

If you have a standard mouse, you are using between 800-1200 dpi. Many gaming mice have adjustable dpi settings that makes life much easier for us.

P.S.: The mouse I use has a whopping 4000 dpi capability, but it's been almost two years since the mouse came out, so I was wondering if anyone has seen larger dpi numbers recently for any mouse out there?
 
Aww, I just sold my Steelseries mousepad to my friend, because I got a plastic Logitech one with my G5 and I thought it would be uber leet =( And the Steelserie one wasnt plastic.

Ah well, that is still some good info there frantic.
 
its really hard to determine how much DPi is needed when most mouse manufacturers have different settings anyway..its kinda like shoe size.
ive used a ton of dif mouses and all were usually between 2000and 4000 dpi, and the feel was so different between each i ended up having massively different settings with each, the Razer copperhead was nice but the drivers went wonky on me when i rebuilt my comp so i got a new one.. usin some logi wireless right now and realizin that non"gaming" wirelss mouses jsut dont cut it for FPS games.
I was readin this morning (cus this post got me thinking)(damn you) on alot of different gaming mice and the dpi ranges r so crazy..some say 1800 is all u need.. others go up to 5600dpi.. its so hard to figure out what really works cus the real decisions come from the user and everyone has a different preference.
 
I use a Razer Lachesis, 4000 dpi with a 2.0 ingame setting. I used to use a fabric mouse pad but the problem is that on really high dpi settings clicking the mouse will compress the pad a bit and move your point of aim so I now use a hard mat.
 
i havent seen many mouses over that frantic, and thats an interesting point. thanks for the tip. :thumbup:
 
see this explains it. i actually made a thread about whether or not gaming mice are worth it, if it really does improve your aim. what i was describing i wanted to fix is how frantic says it, skipping pixels. and if a higher DPI on your mouse (making for a lower in game sensitivity) decreases that, that completely answers my question and thus leads me to believe that gaming mice would be worth it
so i'll look for the cheapest/highest DPI mouse i can find, and pick it up...i don't care about any other thing like looks or having over 9000 buttons
 
theres one in a local store, not many gagets etc for 40 bucks and goes up to 3600 dpi...so im probably gonna grab that up in the near future
 
theres one in a local store, not many gagets etc for 40 bucks and goes up to 3600 dpi...so im probably gonna grab that up in the near future

What is the mouse called? You have to think about the durability, performance and quality if you're going to spend over 20 dollars on a mouse.
 
well i just threw my 3rd G5 in the garbage. it just started freaking out on me about 2 weeks ago. it would keep changing my settings while I'm playing! the last straw was a few days ago, in game, it just shuts off, no controls, lights go off and i would have to uplug and it would reset to normal and last about 5 mins and do the same, grrrr! i got about a year out of it.
i really like the way the G5 feels, but Fry's didn't have any so I am trying the G5000 next, got it today, will start using it tomorrow, not sure about the specs, how many dpi's
 
What is the mouse called? You have to think about the durability, performance and quality if you're going to spend over 20 dollars on a mouse.

SteelSeries Kinzu Optical Gaming Mouse
 
ya its pretty much the same mouse, except 50 dollars cheaper (in my local store) and less gagets/looks
 

Latest posts

Back
Top