seeding now considered idling?

Noise

Poster Extraordinaire
Joined
Jun 17, 2009
Messages
2,422
with the new update, it said "Changed idle player check to include spectators & players who haven't chosen a team"

Would this mean if you seed its considered idling?
 
Well, they have a legitimate reason. We're trying to get our ranks up by what could be construed as dishonest means. How would you feel if we were #1 in the ranks and were beat by a server that had 32 "seeders?" Granted, we're not taking advantage of it at that level, but being a little evil is still being evil.
 
Well, they have a legitimate reason. We're trying to get our ranks up by what could be construed as dishonest means. How would you feel if we were #1 in the ranks and were beat by a server that had 32 "seeders?" Granted, we're not taking advantage of it at that level, but being a little evil is still being evil.

Actually there is a top server in TF2 or CSS that is just people spectating... technically they are playing though just sitting in spec...
 
Actually there is a top server in TF2 or CSS that is just people spectating... technically they are playing though just sitting in spec...

So the server is full of specs and you can't join, making them always #1 if they don't leave?

That doesn't seem fair :(
 
I think your portrayal of seeders as "evil" is really misguided. Seeding in the morning is such an important thing.
 
We don't seed to directly raise our ranks, we seed so that people join so the server fills which in turn raises our rank.
 
I think your portrayal of seeders as "evil" is really misguided. Seeding in the morning is such an important thing.

I disagree. As you can see from my achievement, I am a seeder. I think the cause behind it is a good idea on paper, but not so much in action. I've spent entire nights seeding servers and saw a few connections, most of which disconnected when they saw the server was completely inactive.

I feel that what we really need are more active players, and I don't believe seeding is doing that for us. I think this change by Valve will hurt our seeding efforts due to the potential reprecussions from Valve, but overall I think it makes the game and our servers more enjoyable. We just need to get real players back on the servers.

So rather than seed teams, we need server starter teams.
 
So rather than seed teams, we need server starter teams.

And that's it right there. I hate joining servers with 1 or 2 players. If there were 4 or 5 people willing to join a server together and then one stranger walks in you have some 3 on 3 action pretty quick.
 
I think that's what the announcements on Steam are for. It seems not very many people actually try to start up a server when the announcements are posted. I've been trying lately, but I admit I'm guilty of not joining servers that call us to. I'll try to work on that.
 
Usually, when I "seed" I am practicing FAN jumps on the map I am currently in (which is almost always 2Fort). To me, that's the only "legit" way to seed.
 
It just means you wont earn items while in spectator.

This thread is way off topic

But if you want my opinion seeding is a necessary evil.
 
It just means you wont earn items while in spectator.

This thread is way off topic

But if you want my opinion seeding is a necessary evil.

I don't believe it's gone very far off topic, but you've made your point. I'll leave it with this - I think inactive seeding is doing more harm than good when the server is close to, if not completely, empty. Active seeding is beneficial as long as they are paying attention and can join in on the idle server when someone else joins.

But I digress...

Good to know about not earning items while in spectator. It's a good decision in my opinion.
 
I think inactive seeding is doing more harm than good when the server is close to, if not completely, empty. Active seeding is beneficial as long as they are paying attention and can join in on the idle server when someone else joins.

Before I joined eGO, there was a group called the Rangers, devoted to starting the servers every day. I'm not sure why they are no longer around, but I know DrunkenSailor would occasionally organize groups to fill the servers, which worked a lot better than just spectating.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top