Vista or 7?

Joined
Aug 30, 2008
Messages
517
I don't know if i should just stick with what i have now(vista) or buy Windows 7.

What do you guys think?
 
If it ain't broke, don't fix. That's what I would think, IMO. Although, I do have both Vista and Windows 7; Vista on my gaming, everyday use PC and 7 on my laptop, and 7 is very nice, quite a bit more lightweight in comparison to Vista.
 
I have Vista Premium 64bit now and I cant wait to get 7 just so I dont have to use vista anymore. vista just seams to be so much slower than any other OS ive used (Windows XP, 2000). My friend has XP with only 2GB of ram and I have 5GB and his comp seems to be just as fast as mine. I would get Windows 7 if you have the money, but that is just my opinion.
 
Last edited:
If Vista is running fine, why would you spend $150ish on a new OS?

You could spend that money on other computer upgrades that improve your game play.
 
IMO, it is a waste of money purchasing the same version of Win 7 that you already have of Vista. If you want Professional or Ultimate instead of Home Premium, then it makes sense. Or if your current copy is an OEM copy and you want a new build. Or if you want to upgrade to 64-bit. Or if you are a student and are getting the $30 deal. Other than that it is kind of silly.
 
My reasoning for my laptop was mainly:

1. It was replacing an OEM copy.
2. Going to Windows 7 Professional from Vista Home Premium
3. Got it for free from my school!

But yeah, I agree with Metro. The performance is nice, but it's not going to improve it by leaps and bounds.
 
If Vista is running fine, why would you spend $150ish on a new OS?

You could spend that money on other computer upgrades that improve your game play.

I hate vista. I bought my laptop with and OS on it already. They never gave me a copy of vista and theres no restore on my system anywhere(i've tryed).
 
If you can get a copy, put windows 7 on there. It is much faster and more stable than vista. As well, I have not had any issues with compatibility with windows vista programs or drivers.
 
If Vista is running fine, why would you spend $150ish on a new OS?

You could spend that money on other computer upgrades that improve your game play.

Because Vista is terrible.
 
If you have the money, go for it. Windows 7 is worth every penny (can't say the same for Vista).

I still use XP on my main HD. Use the Windows 7 RC on my spare 160gb HD, but since it's just an RC I'm reluctant to install it on my main HD until the release is official.
 
I had no problems with vista, but since i get windows software for free i thought i would try windows 7. Its ok. Its differernt in alot of ways, it has its bad sides and good sides. It loooks like alot that was in vista was taken out of windows 7. And also it does not come with outlook. You have to use a program called windows live, or you can down another email program.
 
I recently switched to Windows 7 from XP. It wasn't because I didn't like XP. I loved XP, but I had picked up a copy of Win7 from my college so I decided to try it out.

My computer wasn't playing nice with other computers on a LAN, and it was about time to format anyway, so I formatted and loaded up 7 and I can honestly say, I don't regret it.

And, if you don't like the Windows 7 theme, you can change it. Here's what my environment looks like.

 
I switched from windows xp to 7 as well. I had tried vista on my gaming machine, and it was too slow to play tf2 to my standards, so I removed it. Windows 7 manages to still hit over 120fps with maxed out settings on a 1920x1080 display, so it still has great gameplay even if it is a tiny bit slower (I saw about a 20-40fps drop when I switched, but I didn't max out anti-aliasing before so that might account for it) it still is fast enough to easily handle the game. As well, the only time I got it to have problems is when I accidentally put it to sleep while overclocking it and something caused an error that forced me to take a while to get it to wake up again (I would strongly reccommend removing the sleep setting from the computer, Microsoft hasn't been able to fix it since they made it and playing russian roulette with your computer every time you use it isn't fun).

I am currently running the full release of Windows 7 professional, but all the features that I really use on the gaming machine are available in the home version. If you get it OEM, you won't have to pay too much and can put it on one machine (Or do the old stand in of calling it in and saying it is only on one). If you are a student, you can join Microsft's MSDN academic alliance and get it for the about 20 dollar subscription fee, although I do not know how exactly to do that individually.
 
7 is better in every way, other than being bad.

- Faster (As in responsive)
- Less RAM usage (Slightly higher than XP)
- A lot more neat.
- DX11 :O (If you're an enthusiast anyway)

I must admit I do not like Micro$oft in anyway whatsoever, I'd be happy if they got bankrupt, but they're a monopoly so I use their OS.


Here are 80+ benchmarks compared between Vista, XP, 7.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/windows_7_review
 
Wind 7 is clearly, or said to be better then Vista. Well it is in fact lighter then vista. so I guess if you're stuck on buying either Vista or Win 7, go with Win 7. If u are thinking on upgrading then i suggest u stick around a little but longer after the release of win 7 and see what other pp say about it.
 

Latest posts

Back
Top