Puppy Linux booted from USB drive

XXzz-Trauma-zzXX

Thread Junky
Joined
Jul 14, 2009
Messages
805
Hey guys just wanted to share that I have decided to boot Puppy linux straight from my 4gb usb drive. Its pretty cool so far. I am currently using the OS and its pretty fast and cool. Im impressed with it. my first ever linux OS that i got the chance to use. I must say im loving it and I encourage any one who hasnt done it yet to at least try it out and see what you think. Im not planning to play games on this OS but Im just planning on using this when Im at a friends house for security purposes.
 
Lol no links, articles, no nothing eh?

Cool post though. I have to say my favorite linux distribution is Ubuntu hands down.
 
lol rusty I can post a couple of things so that you can know more about it if you want.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

Even has a little screenshot on there for you to see what it looks like. :)

Or you can learn more directly from the website.

http://puppylinux.org/main/index.php?file=Basic Info - getting started.htm

I've never used Puppy Linux before, it looks good for people who aren't familiar with Linux, or machines that are 'resource challenged' I have a USB stick that I have a live version of Debian that's really useful for various recovery purposes, and use Debian sans X on several servers.

It's good to see more people out there getting familiar with operating systems other than Windows :P.
 
Yea Ive been interested in Linux for a while just havent known how to put it on my PC or had the patience to install it. But i used automated program to install it and partition everything right so that I could try it out and It works perfectly. Hopefully I can get used to linux and learn more about it and maybe move onto differing distros of linux like Ubuntu. Oh an Rusty what are the memory requirements for Ubuntu. I may just boot that off of my drive instead of Puppy Linux.
 
Last edited:
does puppylinux restore user settings (such as saved files, etc) by default after shutdown? because I was using Damn Small Linux for a while for a rather odd project and I had to take great effort for it to keep a file that I saved on shutdown.
 
Yes puupy linux upon shutdown automatically saves your session data and everything else and loads it up upon boot up of puppy linux. And its very easy to maintain. The only real thing you have to do is go through a little "first shutdown" setup and follow the instructions and set up your session save file and after that it manages itself on its own. It even gives you the option to put a password on that file and its required when puppy linux is started up making it so that only you can access the OS.
 
i have a computer running ubuntu and xp i like ubuntiu for its speed but its rubbish for trying to play games stuck with windows for games (and dual monitor support)
 
ya puppy, slax and damn small linux make good live systems and systems for older computers but if you want to full featured modern linux distro you should look in the direction of openSuSE, ubuntu, linux mint.

all of them are very user friendly and should all be easy to install and duel boot.

iv been using SuSE as my main operating system since around 2002 than i have a very minimal win7 for games and now i had to get a mac pro and macbook pro for work so i could get a pro tools hd & le setups going
 
okay then it works more or less like DSL, it just gives you instructions on how to save. to find out that files didn't save automatically on DSL I had to scour the furthest reaches of the support wiki.
 
Back
Top