Colloege Personal Statements.

Dan

EGO Addict
Joined
Jul 30, 2006
Messages
1,366
Hey guys,

It's time to get those College Apps ready and i just wanted to know if you guys have any good tips for writing a Personal Statement ( Besides, being honest).

Thx.
 
I a not familiar with the "personal statement" section of the app. Mine always asked me to write a paragraph or essay about myself.. Whatever I wrote worked too, I got into both school I wanted. Too bad I couldnt afford WPI
 
Talk to your english teacher, have him/her help you out. I sat down with mine and she helped me a great deal. However, the school I applied to payed most attention to references and interviews so I'm not sure how much impact the paper actually had on my acceptance (which I eventually declined)
 
I'd recommend spelling college correctly on the actual application....... ;)

Aside from that... give them something unique, but honest, about yourself, your academic interests, and your overall goals. Perhaps talk about your reasons for wanting to acquire higher education.

Avoid common statements. Nobody wants to hear about "always wanting to help people" or similar dribble they likely hear all the time. It's one of the few places that your personality can show through. Make it count for something.
 
My parents got worried about me my senior year, and I ended up applying to 19 schools of which I got into 15. Although it was 4 years ago today that I wrote my apps, I'd love to help you out. Just PM me/im me and I'll see what I can do for you.

If you haven't written 3 different essays by now, you need to start cooking immediately.

As for advice, yes honesty is semi important, but not as important as understanding the admissions officer. This was the main point I think that got me into as many schools as I did. You need to think from their perspective. They're reading thousands of these applications every year. You want to stand out (in a good way of course) and make yourself look different from the crowd. Why do you need this school to succeed? What drives you and gives you passion? Give them a bam bam bam. ;p
 
You guys must be going to some really big colleges or something...
I haven't had to write any essays about why I want to go to college for Fort hays state university here in kansas :P
but then again..I'm so awesome that they had no choice but to accept me
 
Large state universities often have a far more numerical admissions process due to their massive enrollments. Essays are often not required there because they're simply not going to be read. Additionally, many of those schools are not nearly as difficult to get into.

The admissions essay becomes more critical when looking at private institutions, such as the wide array of smaller liberal arts colleges.
 
Not all small schools are for libral arts - MIT for example. and WPI also required an essay and is not a libral arts school.


I dont want to start anything but What kind of qualifications / Scores does or did everyone have and what school did they get you into? (not all the school just those you are proud of or the ones which where the most difficult
 
I'll tell u the best ways to get in:

1) It puts undue and unwelcome pressure on the scholarship committee. Judges are human, and no one wants to feel like the person who flushed a kid's educational dreams down the toilet, or worse yet, got you tossed out of your apartment and onto the streets. Committee members have a heart, but they also have a job to do, and that's to select the most qualified applicant. By suggesting that you won't make it without them, you put them in a bind. How? Well, you're not the only one doing it! There are a dozen stories a week just like these. And when there's one scholarship to give and 12 people (this week) who say they can't make ends meet without the award, then it's a lot easier for the committee to trash all 12 and get back to its job of selecting the most qualified applicant.

2) From a more practical standpoint, you should never depend on receiving any one scholarship. The odds are always stacked against you (although much less so now that you're reading these emails), and placing your hopes on one award is like putting all your money on one roulette number. Always have a backup plan. Always investigate all your student loan options, grants, jobs, etc. Even someone with all the inside info in the Superpack shouldn't bank on receiving scholarships if at all possible. Develop your educational plan first, including costs and how to pay for them; then, as you receive scholarships, start erasing sources of funds like loans and jobs as they're no longer needed.
 
[quote1194025717=GreenMonkey]
Not all small schools are for libral arts - MIT for example. and WPI also required an essay and is not a libral arts school.


I dont want to start anything but What kind of qualifications / Scores does or did everyone have and what school did they get you into? (not all the school just those you are proud of or the ones which where the most difficult
[/quote1194025717]
I went to Columbia University (Class of 07 - although i haven't graduated -on sabbatical starting a company). The acceptance rate is less than 9%. I had pretty high scores (several 800's, all 5's on my ap's), but what got me in were m extra-curricular activities and interests (which filled 3-4 pages) as well as my college essays. At the top tier schools, everyone has pretty much the same scores etc... so it comes down to presentation and how you're unique from everyone else.
 
What do you mean several 800's? If you were in the class of 07 then you would have taken the 2003 SAT's (like me) and there were only two section at that time and two 800's would be a perfect score.

But anyways - I had a 3 something in highschool (cont remember exactly) and I got a 1220 on my SAT's - not that good :( 670 math and 550 eng. But I is well at eNglish.
 
Back
Top